LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

o2 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default o2 trouble

So I have been trying for two hours to get this damn thing out, and it won't budge!!!!! I am almost rounding off the head of it trying. Any suggestions on what to do?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Teching In

have you tried heating it up?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I have not. How would I go about doing that?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

I use a small propane torch. The kind that plumbers use to solder copper pipe. You can pick then up at any hardware store for about 20 bucks. It's one of the most handy tools you can have when working on a car that's more than a few years old. You just have to be careful around the fuel, brake, and transmision lines. It's allways a good idea to have a fire extinguisher close by.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
I use a small propane torch. The kind that plumbers use to solder copper pipe. You can pick then up at any hardware store for about 20 bucks. It's one of the most handy tools you can have when working on a car that's more than a few years old. You just have to be careful around the fuel, brake, and transmision lines. It's allways a good idea to have a fire extinguisher close by.

that is how i had to get mine out. it was easier for me since the exhaust was laying on the floor. heat it up and it will be a lot easier
Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I could do the torch I would, but this is being done at a shop on the sub base where I
am stationed. they will not allow things like that on the base. What about a lighter?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

one of two ways.

See if you can bring a heat gun on base...they get pretty hot.

Or get some PB blaster and a big pair of vice grips.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

A lighter won't put out enough heat. You would have better luck running the engine and letting it get hot. Gloves and long sleaves would probably be a good idea if you try that route. Are you using a open end wrench or a O2 sensor socket? If you don't have the special socket and are replacing the sensor, you can cut the wires off and use a deep well six point socket. If it's allready stripped too bad for anything to grip it, a 6" pipe wrench will save the day. Also, make sure to use plenty of PB-Blaster.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

you can cut the wires off and use a deep well six point socket.
This is what I did. Much easier that way. Just sprayed some wd-40 on there and used a socket. Came off pretty easy.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

A lighter won't put out enough heat. You would have better luck running the engine and letting it get hot. Gloves and long sleaves would probably be a good idea if you try that route. Are you using a open end wrench or a O2 sensor socket? If you don't have the special socket and are replacing the sensor, you can cut the wires off and use a deep well six point socket. If it's allready stripped too bad for anything to grip it, a 6" pipe wrench will save the day. Also, make sure to use plenty of PB-Blaster.
the problem with running the engine to get it hot is that EVERYTHING expands, the o2 and the bung. you want to get the most heat on the bung but not the o2 so that it will expand and let 02 spin easier
Old 08-17-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT1Falcon
the problem with running the engine to get it hot is that EVERYTHING expands, the o2 and the bung. you want to get the most heat on the bung but not the o2 so that it will expand and let 02 spin easier

I didn't say it was optimal. I said, it would work better that using a lighter. IMO it's worth a try, since he can't use a torch. Thanks anyway for taking the time to explain the obvious.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

hey man take it easy, i wasnt putting what you said down, i was just telling him that it wasnt gonna help as much as a torch.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

I'm ok. The torch is out, since he can't take one on base. He needs alternatives even if not as effective. When I did a search a while back running the engine to build heat was one of the tricks I came across. I ended up doing mine on the garage floor like you did.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

yea it will probably help, i was just saying that it wont help as much as a torch. and i wouldnt say that explaining the reason for heating threaded objects to make them looser is "the obvious". im sure a lot of guys dont know exactly why it helps, they just know that it does
Old 08-17-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, for the trouble last night, I found someone at the shop who ACTUALLY knew what he was doing. He found some PB and helped me with it. Thanks for the suggestions. Will know what to do next time.

Quick Reply: o2 trouble