LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

CA residents.i think i was harrased! need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA residents.i think i was harrased! need your help!

ok.last night i got pulled over on my car and the excuse was that i did not have a front license plate on my vehicle! the license plate was on my right side of my windshield...ok now where i think i got harrased...the officer asked if i had any thing illegal under my hood..i replied by tellin him that nothing under my hood had to do with me not havin a license plate.he did not reply but he popped my hood open and noticed my nitrous line.the bottle was not hooked up and neither was the nitrous line hooked up to my intake elbow.(pic included) now i have to go to the state ref!!!! what should i do? did he have the right to check my hood with out my permission? can he check under my hood if he pulled me over for my nitrous lines that arent even hooked up to my car? i got violation 27156

Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

or anyone that can help! thanks
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Teching In

you might be able to go down to an emisson place and have a guy chk it out. maybe get him to write something that says its not part of the emisson sys. i would figure that it would be worse having it hooked up and driving around on the streets then having it unhooked.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry cant help about the nitrous. But i got pulled over by a cop about no front license plate. The cop pulled over, since i was a stop light and waited for me to pass him b4 he pulled me over. He said cause i had 1 out of six brake lights bulbs were out, but there was no way for him to see my tail lights. Anyways he let me go with a warning after he asked me like 20 times if i have been drinking, I had to keep telling him i just got off of work, i even still had my name badge on.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only way nitrous is illegal is if it is hook up and your bottle is open. as long as you weren't using it your fine. And he has no right to pop your hood and look under it w/o your permission. He'd have to get a warrant to do that same w/ your trunk
Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure how it works in CA. But if you have it hooked up with the bottle in the car you could probably get in trouble. If it was all unhooked, you should be fine. But I would have pled my case right there to the guy. Now its his word vs yours, which in most cases I've ever had to deal with the cop almost always wins. He's buying the judge lunch after the 'trial' and your screwed.' Try to consult any LEO's you know.

I would go in knowing the laws pertaining to Nitrous on the street, and if your right, I'd be going ape ****, anything short of getting taken off to jail.

Also I think they have to have your permission to search the car unless they have a good reason [your gun on the passenger seat, some with beer or drugs.]

PS Plug in your MAF.

-Dustin-
Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

The cop was F-n with ya. if the bottle was not hooked up, you're good. where in CA are you?
Old 08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like an illegal search to me.. he didn't have reasonable suspicion.

Did you at any time indicate permission to let him pop your hood? If you didn't, that was illegal.

Just go to the ref, if your **** isn't hooked up I don't think you'll have a problem. If you have to, just pull the lines and put them back in later.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

thats why i live in arkansas :-) cops here really could care less...well..most of the time anyways
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a vid on the net about two years ago that was about street racers, and their cars being hopped up. But the vid was a police training video, training other cops what to look for and how to follow procedures.

In the vid the cop pulled an import over just because it had a coffee can muffler on it. He walked up to the car and told the guy "i think this car is hopped up pop your hood". Well the kid replies with a smart *** answer saying "the hood is broke and it wont open" and then cop said " If you dont pop your hood i will take you to jail and your car goes to impound" So the kid pops his hood and sure enough the cop finds the nitrous, after market timing gears, and emmisions are removed as well.

If i recall the kid got ticket, and he had a period of time to get the car back in state compliance , other wise his car would be impound.

Good luck , not sure what the laws are out there, but from the looks of the police vid, they are pretty strick.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:33 AM
sbs
On The Tree

LOL at smart-mouthed kid getting what he deserves and then whining "harassment" on the internet.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red96TA
thats why i live in arkansas :-) cops here really could care less...well..most of the time anyways
I hear ya brother all the way from KY.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

I cruise around in Cali with my bottle open and no front plate and have never been pulled over for anything other than speeding and too loud of an exhaust lol...which I didn't get in any trouble for. You had to have been doing something to attract his attention
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

You hood doesnt qualify under the 4th amendment because it is not a compartment for storing/passenger compartment, there are vehicle codes that allow an officer to check your vehicle and falls under emissions laws, however your out will be in who gave you the ticket, if it was a CHP then your screwed because they go to special training on recognizing vehicles with emissions problems and unsafe vehicles, so you are going to have to try and see if he hasnt had the training to specify if a vehicle is smog legal.

Also on the front plate thing, vehicle code 5200 states your license plate has to be attached to your front bumper, inside your windshield is not attached to your bumper.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:08 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

We only have state troopers ever check to see if you have cats on the car every now and then, i would laugh if a cop told me to pop the hood on my 89, it is a pin on.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Minnesota, we have a bumper hight law, and a cop has to be DOT approved to do a bumper clearance check. All state troopers are DOT and can do it, but probably 90% of cops aren't. I would assume your issue would fall under the same principle, they have to be DOT approved to check for emissions crap. My last truck was a lifted suburban, and I was pulled over for a huge misunderstanding in a city lots of people cruise in. Long story short, the cops said they didn't want me around because my bumper was too high. Needless to say I came back around, and I got pulled over a few days later because I didn't turn my lights on (had parking lights on) coming out of the parking lot, when I hit the main road (25ft). The gal said "I thought you weren't supposed to come back around here, so I'll have to check your bumper clearance". I asked if she was DOT approved, and she told me to hold on, and that someone was coming to do it lol Then she walks back, and comes back to me and says that he won't be coming and for me to leave. Me 2, Cops 0. State Troopers 1 though I got nabbed about a year later for going through a red (see: yellow) light and he gave me a ticket for that and bumper clearance

A few cities in MN have noise ordinance laws, but the majority don't. I've never been pulled over for exhaust noise. Similarly, we have a front plate law as well, and I don't have one, or a bracket (bought the car this way), and have yet to be pulled over for it either.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:21 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I don’t know the laws in CA, heck, I don’t even know the laws regarding popping the hood here in NY. BUT, I was driving home from a looong trip and was so tired, I went into a rest stop to nap. In the highway off ramp, I gunned it, making some cool exhaust noise, right past a New York State trooper. He followed me in and asked me a thousand questions. Asked me if he could search my car which I allowed him to. I’m thinking, I’ve had this car like six months, will he fine some old roach under the seat and haul me in? Nothing found, he gave me a ticket for having tail lights out.

Another time, I gunned it entering a highway to catch up with traffic. Some cop heard it and nabbed me even though traffic was doing 85, me I hit 75. He asked me how fast I was going and I was honest with him and also as to why. He checked my license and told me to slow down, no ticket.

Sometimes it’s best to be as cool as you can towards the cop, shut the motor, interior lights on, hands on the wheel and lots of yes sir, no sir and don’t lie about anything. They appreciate it and sometimes let you off with a warning.

Back in the day, my brother had a real loud ‘71 Camaro and got stopped all the time because the cops liked the car and wanted to check it out. There are some cool cops out there. Still some ******** though so be careful.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

well if you were a dick to the cop and or a smart ***.. thats why he popped your hood. it was not an illegal search. iv had it done to me numerous times. if hes suspicous of something he can check, nitrous is illegal to run on the street in ca. and im pretty sure he pulled you over with the intentions of popping your hood, the no license plate was just his reason to pull you over. he couldnt have pulled you over and used the i wanna pop your hood as a reason, that would be discrimination. take your line off. anything that has to do with nitrous. an go to the ref and pass and be done with it. next time hide your line.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

i kiss *** whe n a cop pulls me over.. keys are on the dash... dome light is on.... window down... both hands are on the steering wheel with license and registration before the cop is even close to my car.

This way they can see what you are doing (dome light on), can see you are not taking off aywhere too soon (keys on the dash), and know where your hands are at all times (on the steering wheel).

Call the cop sir and mamn... and know the state laws. You are in the wrong with the license plate and will get a ticket for that. As for the nitrous, your strait. Besides, would have told him that is a fuel return line.... stock. it just broke off the fuel regulater earlier that day. No need to lie either way tho, your not in the wrong.

Originally Posted by JTSLP559
nitrous is illegal to run on the street in ca. and im pretty sure he pulled you over with the intentions of popping your hood, the no license plate was just his reason to pull you over. he couldnt have pulled you over and used the i wanna pop your hood as a reason, that would be discrimination. take your line off. anything that has to do with nitrous. an go to the ref and pass and be done with it. next time hide your line.
It ain't illegal to have a steel braided line ran into the engine bay. That is all it is.. ain't into the intake and ain't hooked to any bottle. Who is he to say what the **** it is? FTP. Quit layng down to the law.... especially when it ain't even really the law!

Last edited by Dragframe; 08-30-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

very true. good point. my buddy go ref'd for having a steel line on his evo. it was a nitrous line. the cop didnt know. he got a ref ticket for changing the way the car came from the factory. it was a bunch of bullshit.. but thats how it goes. so.. just hide your **** an noone will be a wiser.

Quick Reply: CA residents.i think i was harrased! need your help!