LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Changing Head gasket on LT1 today. need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Head gasket on LT1 today. need some advice

Alright, car overheated, and there is exhaust in the cooling system(coolant pops up like blowing into a straw in a glass when car is on with radiator open). Luckily I have all my EGR/AIR removed, so all those lines are gone, I also have all my AC deleted so all those lines are out of the way also. I have Pacesetter longtubes also, and that should be easier.

So with that being said, I was hoping there was a good guide, and I wanted to know if there is anything I should know, or anything I could mess up while I'm disassembling.

Is there anything else good I can do while I've got the car torn apart that I should do? I guess I need to take my heads to the machine shop, think shaving them down for some more compression would be good? Maybe a PnP?

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Porting is fine but I wouldn't shave the heads. More compression means you need higher octane fuel, a new tune, and shorter rods (unless you want to break a valve/rocker). That does depend on how much you shave also. Make sure you use new head bolts.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

How much can you shave without having to worry about shorter rods? I doubt the fuel would be an issue with a little shaving.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not completely sure on the exact number but a good machine shop will be able to tell you.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
Porting is fine but I wouldn't shave the heads. More compression means you need higher octane fuel, a new tune, and shorter rods (unless you want to break a valve/rocker). That does depend on how much you shave also. Make sure you use new head bolts.
I hope JJ's automotive isn't a shop you own or work at.

As far as the OP I would would have the heads milled .010" just to clean them up. If you want more compression you could always just run an impala gasket, that should give you compression in the low 11's. As far as porting, if you have the $$ to do it right and get a cam at the same time I would do that, but don't go to some corner shop and pay $200 for a port job that will probably do more harm than good.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I hope JJ's automotive isn't a shop you own or work at.

As far as the OP I would would have the heads milled .010" just to clean them up. If you want more compression you could always just run an impala gasket, that should give you compression in the low 11's. As far as porting, if you have the $$ to do it right and get a cam at the same time I would do that, but don't go to some corner shop and pay $200 for a port job that will probably do more harm than good.
I'm sure you're a pro just like everyone else on this site. It was a simple question that I answered. I apologize that I can't give an exact spec but the point was there's no need to shave the heads any more than what they need unless major mods are being done as well. This thread was about a simple gasket change so my answer was all that was needed. If you want to run your mouth some more feel free. It only makes you look like the *******, not me.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, we got to it for a few hours, this is going to take alot longer than I thought. Sounds like fun.. and yeah, I think I'm throwing a cam in while we're down there.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

shaving the heads wont make any difference in the rod length you need. the stock pistons dont come even close to the valves unless u have a really big cam. they shaved .012" off my block,pistons with smaller than stock valve reliefs and im running thinner head gaskets and a cam with a lift of about .580 with no problems. as for the octaine im running 11.5:1 on 93.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowmaro95Z28
I'm sure you're a pro just like everyone else on this site. It was a simple question that I answered. I apologize that I can't give an exact spec but the point was there's no need to shave the heads any more than what they need unless major mods are being done as well. This thread was about a simple gasket change so my answer was all that was needed. If you want to run your mouth some more feel free. It only makes you look like the *******, not me.
Not answering a question is better than giving bad advice.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Is there any special way you need to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail? or should I just leave it hanging?I could really use some tips. thanks for the help so far by the way. LS1tech is always there to answer my retarded questions.

Quick Reply: Changing Head gasket on LT1 today. need some advice