LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can't get valve lash right...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get valve lash right...

I have Comp 850 lifters (high energy/stock replacement) and comp pro-magnum RR's 1.6 ratio NSA. The problem is that i keep hearing a little miss through the exhaust, i've tried everything from 1/2 to 1/8 of pre-load. 1/8 actually worked for a little while, but after i drove it around a bit the rockers got really loud. Any advice guys?

A guy who is pissed off because he cant get this crap right,
-Mike
Old 09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

are you getting good oil flow up top though the push rods? try adjusting them while its running. also whats your cold start up oil pressure?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You know there are only like 2 lifter manufacturers right? So what you have there are stock lifters with a fancy brand name.

How do you find "zero lash", I have found most newbie valvetrain adjustment problems start with this. A lot of bad info out there on this part.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

What is the spring pressure your running? When I had stock listers and the car sat the lifters would tick until they pumped backed up. Wonder if your's is doing the opposite when the il gets hot and thins out?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
are you getting good oil flow up top though the push rods? try adjusting them while its running. also whats your cold start up oil pressure?
Running is the only way i even try, lol. On start up the oil pressure reads about about 70 PSI. The oil flow does take a while to get up top on some of the rockers.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
So what you have there are stock lifters with a fancy brand name.

How do you find "zero lash"
Side by side comparison reveals the lifters are not the same as stock, might be as good as stock though

To find zero lash i back the poly lock off till it starts clicking then tighten it to the exact point where audible noise stops.

-Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

"stock" lifters changed a little over the years, the spirit of what I was saying is those are not perfomence lifters.
I am running stock original lifters so I am not saying stock is a bad thing either, just think it is important to understand what you really have.

I fail to understand the facination with running adjustment, you have to adjust them static just to get the car too run anyway.

Try doing a static adjustment and play around with finding zero lash by moving the pushrod inline between the lifter and rocker, this is pretty much as soon as the polylock hits the rocker, just barely touching not even finger tight.

On my setup I originally started with about 1/2 turn on 7/16 studs than read about folks pointing out how stud size and threadcount affects how much vertical preload 1/2 turn is. Makes perfect sense I just never thought of it before.
I then went back and tried zero lash plus just enough to snug the locks and nut together and frankly can't tell a difference in performance. I am not one to track every few hundredths at the strip though.

Try and have the engine warm but not so hot you can't work and with the engine off you have to be careful not to bleed the lifter down.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im have the same trouble.i have alot of value train noise
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Dwayne IMO a dynamic adjustment is the best way to get the most accurate preload. I agree that a static adjustment is needed first :0
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

I understand why dynamic sounds like a good idea, I just think that all the other noise involved leads to inconsistency. I went to try it once and had a hard time, but then again I do know I have noise exposure related hearing damage.

I was thinking that maybe the best of both worlds would be static adjustment with the oiling system pressurized, easier said than done though, would need someone to operate the drill with the priming tool while you adjusted and would need a heavy duty drill to handle that much abuse, 1/2" Milwaukees should do the trick.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

gotcha dwayne BTW My car is finally back from the body shop. sorry for the OT :0

Quick Reply: Can't get valve lash right...