LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Grounding Kit = 9HP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding Kit = 9HP?

i was wondering becuase my friends 350 z if you do a grounding kit you can gain 9hp so is there a way you can do that with the lt1 motors? or is there any other types of stuff you can do to gain hp for cheap? (i already have the tb mod)
Old 10-18-2007, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LoStOCeAnZ63
i was wondering becuase my friends 350 z if you do a grounding kit you can gain 9hp so is there a way you can do that with the lt1 motors? or is there any other types of stuff you can do to gain hp for cheap? (i already have the tb mod)
please correct me if im wrong but if your talking about just adding more ground wires to your car.. likes this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...spagenameZWDVW

and thinking that it will gain you any horse power.. thats just retarded.. where is the logic in that
Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, the bullshit people come up with these days just to make a quick buck.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if he's talking about the spark plug wires that have their own ground wires per-plug...
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Its not bullshit. It has been documented using a dyno that upgrading the "Big 3" wires can and will gain horsepower and torque. Think about it. Where does your ignition come from? Has to have juice somewhere. If the battery, alternator, and grounds are all hooked up using small gauge wire, then upgrading to larger gauge will help current flow and efficiency. Some cars may not see a difference, some will. I will for sure be upgrading all my power and ground wires on my 95 Formula, as the wires they use from the factory are pretty small, gauge wise. Every little bit helps. On cars thet have a very hot ignition system, multiple coils, etc, this upgrade can make a difference for sure.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

lawl.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Ok .. im gonna need to see real Dyno Numbers on this
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

I see the logic on paper but am not buying any real world gains.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dhdenney
I see the logic on paper but am not buying any real world gains.
That's about where I sit.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jasonp31
Its not bullshit. It has been documented using a dyno that upgrading the "Big 3" wires can and will gain horsepower and torque. Think about it. Where does your ignition come from? Has to have juice somewhere. If the battery, alternator, and grounds are all hooked up using small gauge wire, then upgrading to larger gauge will help current flow and efficiency. Some cars may not see a difference, some will. I will for sure be upgrading all my power and ground wires on my 95 Formula, as the wires they use from the factory are pretty small, gauge wise. Every little bit helps. On cars thet have a very hot ignition system, multiple coils, etc, this upgrade can make a difference for sure.
Thats just freegin funny. If it would make any difference, you have a ground problem to begin with. And, curing it, will make the difference, not increasing the size of the wire.
Think about it, the ground side is only half the circuit. And the positive is just as important. So, does that mean we need to increase the size of all the positive wires? And what about all the individual circuits that carry the voltage and amperage to the various components? Coils. Injectors. The PCM. There is a minimal amount of amperage coursing thru the system at any given time, with the exception of during cranking. The injectors barely use 1 amp. The coils use 5-7 roughly. How is increasing the size of the ground only wires going to help any of this?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry man I don't buy it. Good Luck though
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to be a BIG import mod, to do thicker grounding straps, but honestly out cars have the best grounds anyway. I do not see it gaining at all.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

really? makes me want to buy a 350 Z so i can pull horsepower out of my a$$ too...rice makes me sick
Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Thats just freegin funny. If it would make any difference, you have a ground problem to begin with. And, curing it, will make the difference, not increasing the size of the wire.
Think about it, the ground side is only half the circuit. And the positive is just as important. So, does that mean we need to increase the size of all the positive wires? And what about all the individual circuits that carry the voltage and amperage to the various components? Coils. Injectors. The PCM. There is a minimal amount of amperage coursing thru the system at any given time, with the exception of during cranking. The injectors barely use 1 amp. The coils use 5-7 roughly. How is increasing the size of the ground only wires going to help any of this?
Had not even thought about the flip side of the coin. Good point.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
It seems to be a BIG import mod, to do thicker grounding straps, but honestly out cars have the best grounds anyway. I do not see it gaining at all.
I think it might stem from the whole "bigger gauge power wire for amps = bigger ricer-*****" "OMG DOUBLE NEGATIVE TRIPLE ZERO GAUGE WIRE :O"
Old 10-18-2007, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
I think it might stem from the whole "bigger gauge power wire for amps = bigger ricer-*****" "OMG DOUBLE NEGATIVE TRIPLE ZERO GAUGE WIRE :O"

HAHAHAHAHA thats great. sorry to say but grounding your car is NOT going to give you more power. simple as that. people claim that stuff as a sales approach, you would be amazed at what companies are allowed to get away with saying about their own product.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Tell the guy with the 350z to drain all the fluids out of his car. He will pick up 10whp. Lawls!!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Tell the guy with the 350z to drain all the fluids out of his car. He will pick up 10whp. Lawls!!!!
lol He actually would if he used all Royale Purple!
Old 10-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Let me re-iterate, not every car will see a gain from replacing the big 3 wires. These three I'm talking about, for edcmat-l1, is the battery to alternator, battery to chassis, and engine to chassis.

Let me explain it this way, see if you guys may get off the bandwagon long enough to make an intelligent conversation out of this instead of chalking it up as the next tornado. Ever heard of or seen someone use an aftermarket wiring kit for a fuel pump? These kits, which can also be just rewired yourself, increase the gauge of wire for the power and ground. Why do that? Surely the awesome GM electrical system can feed the pump enough juice right? Wrong. When you install one of these kits, the headroom of fuel pressure rises significantly. Still think the Big 3 is a dumb idea? What about saying that every little bit helps? Like the airfoil mod. What a joke right? Does very little. Hey, but it does something right? Why not toss it on?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

i suppose the matching wire loom adds a few HP/TQ as well? don't forget to put the wire's manufacturer stickers on the door. i hear that's a few ponies too.

Quick Reply: Grounding Kit = 9HP?