LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stuck ignition

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck ignition

ok well i have a 93 z28 and about a month ago i went to start my car and it started up and the ses light came on the abs inop came one and when i pulled the ebrake up the low coolent light came on when i hit the brake only the right brake light lit up and after about 2 min the radio went off and the ac went off. when i tried to turn it off the ignition was stuck it wouldnt budge, so i bumped it up like i was going to start it up while it was running, the starter engaged and i was able to turn the ignition off i havent done any electrical to my car . today it did it again. i never heard of this before.... i will be thankful for any help..
Old 11-01-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a short, check check ur ground near your hood release behind that plastic piece.. also find the radio's one and check the MAIN chasis ground (shoulda said that first) sounds like a huge grounding issue only does this once in a while u say?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

yeah i thought it might be that but what got me is that it locked the ignition from turning off , grounding out cant cause the ignition to stay stuck on can it.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Low battery voltage/amperage can do some of the strangest ****. That may be the problem. See what the code is, unless it was just the indicator light coming on.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

I can only think of a reason why the key would stay stuck on but u might not have done it but this happened to my car none of the electrical stuff but the key thing yes, i went to turn off my car it did not want to turn back then i realized i had pulled the key out some which was keeping it from turning off i just pushed it in and it turned off fine maybe? maybe not but sounded similar..
Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

ok well it did it twice today and the 2nd time i couldnt get it to turn off i had to take the ignition fuse out to cut the car off. i turned the key back and forth for a few min and i was able to get it out. while i was playing with it i noticed that when i turned it forward it felt like it was kinda catching on something. but i think im just going to hook up a push button start so that i just have to turn the key to the acc position so the fuel pump and every thing comes on and then start it up with the push button.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that would not be your ignition switch binding, that would be your lock cylinder. they have a good tendency to stick, in fact i changed mine about a month ago because i got pissed and broke the key off in the cylinder. (stupid decision) the switch is on top of the column under the dash, but they usually dont have a prob. ignore the lights for now, if your cylinder is binding, it is putting the switch in a different position, hence your dash lights like a christmas tree. i believe at cost from work (GM dealer) i spent about 100.00 for all the stuff. (lock cylinder, key, switch...) but another thing that tends to bind would be the rack in the column. adress this concern, or it gets REALLY aggravating.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

ok. thanks alot i tried to hook up a push button start straight to the starter but i had nothing but problems, when i went to losen up the bolt that goes form the bat to the starter i got the nut about half way off the damn bolt that it was on just cracked off of the starter... thank god for life time warranty.. i got the new starter and have just been driving it around till this weekend so i can work on it....
Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah the push button straight to the starter wont work on these cars. my suggestion is fix it right, less probs in the future. the guy who had mine before me bypassed the VATS and holy **** it look me a few days to find it. FURIOUS was the word that comes to mind. let me know if you have any questions, pm me anytime.

Quick Reply: stuck ignition