LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default exhaust leak

Ok I put pace setter lts coated on my 1995 Z and it seems that I cant get it to seal up just right i tryed a few gaskets I have the gm ones on it now. The bolts are tight. there is a notiveable loss of torque and I can hear the leak from inside the car its a ticking sound. I thoght it was the egr pipe leaking but I sealed that up. I have the egr and air hooked up no cat on the car and a flowmaster cat back. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Did you check the header flange with a straight edge before you installed them? A warped flange will drive you nuts trying to seal it. I've been burned on that one, so I allways check them now. Double gaskets might help. Also, make sure the header isn't binding on anything. My passenger side pacesetter wouldn't pull in flush because one of the tubes was contacting the motor mount. I had to dimple the tube ever so slightly to get a good fit.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea I looked at the motor mount on the passenger side thats where i think the problem is its very close it mite be sitting on it slightly. Maybe i should get hex head bolts to I can get them tighter. I can hear the ticking sound I drives me crazy from inside the car when I get on it or go up hill and sometimes at cruisen speed when its in od. Is there a sealer that coukld be sprayed around the gaskets.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

You need to solve the clearance issue before trying anything else. See if you can slide some paper between the tube and motor mount. If it's touching, just mark the tube on two sides of where it's hitting, then loosen the header so you can get to it and put a dimple in it. It will never seal if the flange can't pull up tight to the head.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats a good idea with the paper then dent it. any suggestions on how to dent it.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it realy bugs the **** out of me. 1st it was the air pipes then egr so thats fixed that now the seal sux
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try aluminum gaskets
Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ROUDA
thats a good idea with the paper then dent it. any suggestions on how to dent it.

With all of the bolts out, I was able to drop the header down far enough to get to it with the round end of a small ball peen hammer. Just make sure you mark it good so you don't lose track of where to ding it. Since your headers are coated, I would try putting a layer of duct tape on the hammer. You might get lucky and not mess up the finish too bad.

I went through the same crap when I put my pacesetters on. There was no way the egr was going to fit, so I ended up pulling the header back off and sawing off the tube. I also had to grind on my bell housing for clearance.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Veteran

i had the EGR problem, i crimped the tube just enough for it to slide in.

i have a ticking sound, but im thinking its just the rockers cause the headers arent as thick and insulated as the stock manifolds.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Launching!

I have the same problem. I;ve been trying to get my pace setters sealed for a year and a half. Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't have any problems with my headers sealing, I noticed I had a ticking sound and it was from a spark plug being loose. I either did not tighten properly or it worked it self loose. I made a loud ticking sound just like a regular header leak. as soon as i tightened it all clear.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I mite eally have to take that header back off I have a head ache just thinking about it that header went in pretty easy from the top. I mite cut that tube too. what did you guys do with the valve. Are you guys feeling a lose of lowend torque.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camz450
I didn't have any problems with my headers sealing, I noticed I had a ticking sound and it was from a spark plug being loose. I either did not tighten properly or it worked it self loose. I made a loud ticking sound just like a regular header leak. as soon as i tightened it all clear.

lol! same here! my pacesetter non emish headers have never been an issue with clearnce or sealing. used there gaskets and sprayed them with permatex copper coat. did have a tick at first but like camz450 was a loose plug.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess its hitting the mount and not sealing. I cant realy hear it leaking from the head. Is this common to have a loss of torque. I was thinking that headers would make it feel like there was more power but thats not the case.

Quick Reply: exhaust leak