Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
Alright so cop car over 94 z correct?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LS1 is just a better motor overall. Light-er weight. Stronger. More powerful. They will both probably get you around the same gas mileage but the LS1 is just a newer block build with updated parts.

Shoot for one if you can. You won't regret it.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
The LS1 is just a better motor overall. Light-er weight. Stronger. More powerful. They will both probably get you around the same gas mileage but the LS1 is just a newer block build with updated parts.

Shoot for one if you can. You won't regret it.
GREAT thanks guys, so im better off trusting a high mileage ls1 than lt1 eh. Why is that? are they jsut better quality? or just because there a little newer? I take it the ls1's need preimum gas to? Sorry i know im beating this thread to death. I jsut want to be sure im making the right move? Anyone on here live in the springfield MO area?

Last edited by 94Bandit; 11-26-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

alot of the guys on here with lt1s will still tell u to get a ls1. its an all around better motor, but with that being said, the lt1 still wont dissapoint. its still a fast car. i like mine
Old 11-29-2007, 05:03 PM

My m6 has about 155k miles on it and still runs great. The only problem is the driver seat that is started to tear where you get in and out. The rear-end needs to be replaced, or will soon...I can hear random noises when I take off(even slow) or go in reverse. Other than that, it still beats 02 wrx's

When I'm taking it easy, I get about 17 MPG. It's not the best, but I plan on doing some weight reduction(300-400 pounds), putting a CAI, and an exhaust and hoping to get it around 20.

I have put regular in the gas before, on accident. It was a FULL take too...I noticed just leaving the gas station that it had much less power. Every time I got it down about a quarter of a tank I had to put some premium in it.

From what I've seen from other people, threads, and sites that give MPG ratings, the LS1 gives 2-3 more MPG than the LT1. I believe it has at least 30 more HP too. I'd like to do a LS1 swap some time, but I think I'm going to stick with the LT1 until I get to working full time out of college and then go for the new 09 camaro.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Lt1's are good cars. If you maintain them good they will last. I personally like lt1's better. Yes ls1 engines are sweet but their front end is not. i think lt1's have a meaner look to them. And you will not be disappointed in them they are quick cars.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Get the lt1. Do gears, exhaust and get the computer recalibrated for the new gears. Like many other people have said, the ls1 is a better motor, more powerful and whatnot. But afterall this is the lt1 section and it's nice to see clean, good running lt1's. I run premium (91 or 93 octane...whatever it is. It's only a couple more buck at most and it's what the car is meant to be run on). As far as gas mileage goes...my car is a 96 WS6 with 373's and cat-back. I average low 20's and get around 26-27 on the highway. They're good cars. Just keep up with maintenance and mod it as you feel necessary....most importantly enjoy the car.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the LS1, but it would be a PIA for the LADIES to get in and out. Go with the Drop top Girls love driving in Verts.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
I would go with the LS1, but it would be a PIA for the LADIES to get in and out. Go with the Drop top Girls love driving in Verts.
Lol. I beg to differ... my girl hates it when i take of the t-tops. She'll just have to get used to it though hehe
Old 11-30-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 94Bandit
GREAT thanks guys, so im better off trusting a high mileage ls1 than lt1 eh. Why is that? are they jsut better quality? or just because there a little newer? I take it the ls1's need preimum gas to? Sorry i know im beating this thread to death. I jsut want to be sure im making the right move? Anyone on here live in the springfield MO area?
LS1's are great engines.. but I'd trust the high mileage LT1 over the LS1 any day.. true optis can fail but its not uncommon for them to last 150k+ miles either, roll the dice
Old 11-30-2007, 05:35 PM

Well i found a 98 z28 and drove it the other day. Way more power than the 94 but the think was a bucket. It had 117k on it, it needed new brakes and pads badly, allignment, the drives window would line up with the door sil,there was a bad revolving whine from the rear end, uneven idle, shook like a bitch going down the road and worse on the freeway. On the other hand the 94 ran just fine, just normal wear and tear from being old. Typicle worn interior stuff, a couple of things missing. More of a restore project than my new daily driver, also the 94's drivers window didnt allign with the sill either. Is that common with camaro's? So im gonna just wait and look some more,i dont wanna get something that needs a decent amount of work done to it.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Question

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
PIA??
Old 11-30-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Bandit
What is this air pump for? Does it hinder performance? How many miles does your Z have?
It injects fresh air into the exhaust manifold to help lean out the mixture when it comes out of the engine. Essentially pointless in an OBD1 car. Some say it creates false O2 sensor readings, which kinda makes sense. But it have no negative effects on my car at all. On an OBD2 it can be tuned out regardless.

I bought it with 103k miles and sold it at 120k miles. Never gave me a problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My LT1 is reliable now that I've done all the necessary repairs. It is a fun car to drive, especially as a daily driver. Obviously the LS1 is a better, more reliable engine because it is so much more modern, but the low-end torque of the LT1 makes it a real stoplight racer that wins you all the 100ft races.

Count on changing the distributor rotor and cap on the car after you buy it, and the build quality is really not very good in the LT1 cars. You will hear plenty of squeaks and rattles. If you get one in good condition it can be very rewarding. I own an LS1 car as well, and I can attest to the fact that it is way ahead on just about everything, especially quality, reliability and performance.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

build quality on American cars in general is sub par lol
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
build quality on American cars in general is sub par lol
true, and i know this from experience.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:08 PM

I have had my 95 LT1 for 2 years now, I love it, I wish for an LS1 though. My auto has been rebuilt twice, now, opti replaced once. It has had 87 through 97. It had a partial tank of e85 ran through it and a few filters changed, gone through 3 mafs (mostly due to a fuel pump dying) new egr valve. She has her quirks but she has gottn through thick and thin and almost paid off. As far as the opti is concerned it is the cap and rotor that is your enemy, and not all of them are gonna be a prob. There are a few fixes though that are kinda pricey but not gonna need a new opti or a few less over the life of the car and i have almost 130,000 on mine and she gets beat hard.

http://bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html

http://delteq.com/

These would be your to best bets if you wanna do away with the problem of an opti. They respond to mods like the old small block chevys, strokers bolt ons headers and such. Just look for any leaks around the front and rea main seals, back of intake. Egrs are usually just caked up with carbon, just a clean and reseal, unless it is really messed up, not really to hard to get at on back of intake. Nice little mirror and a flashlight gets back there ok. They are pretty good cars just gotta weed out the junk, kick the tires. LS1s are more popular and powerful, but Lt1s are cheaper to buy intially, though some new Jap v6s are now past what your LT1 has, but they dont sound as cool.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in the same boat in Jan. I will be looking for a f-body, I am getting rid of my 240sx because I miss having something with torque. From what I've been reading i can't go wrong with either a LT1 or an LS1, most likely I will end up going with an LT1 unless I get a real good deal on and LS1.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Yeah im just gonna wait and get this... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...uperSpotlight=

sorry damn hyperlink button wouldnt work.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 AM
Launching!

the lt1 sounds better to me...i have really had no problems based on the fact that i have an lt1

Quick Reply: LT1 Reliability