LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CaribooLou
the lt1 sounds better to me...i have really had no problems based on the fact that i have an lt1
Why do you say that? Whats the potential for an lt1 with minor bolt on's , like cai, exhaust, gears, tune, maf, Tb, does that air foil thing really work? What else would u recommend modding? Nothing real serious.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

oh ive just compared an lt1 and an ls1 side by side and the lt1 had a bit more rumble, with just bolt ons an lt1 can be pretty quick if set up right
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

suspension mods, man. drop springs,sway bars,subframe connectors,lower control arms, panhard rod, & torque arm. that will stop alot of the twisting and torqueing which will put your power to the ground better.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The car/engine itself is reliable but like anything else it all depends on how it was taken care of through its life
Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Question

Well i may look into getting the 94. But it need a couple of things. So where can i find a new center armrest, its actually in good shape but the hinges are broke on ti. and the little black cover that goes on the inside of the window right behind the drivers mirror. Oh yeah and it seems to have a little delay going into reverse? any ideas? Oh yeah and the window and mirror motor are very slow, anything i can do about that?

Last edited by 94Bandit; 12-03-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94Bandit
Well i may look into getting the 94. But it need a couple of things. So where can i find a new center armrest, its actually in good shape but the hinges are broke on ti. and the little black cover that goes on the inside of the window right behind the drivers mirror. Oh yeah and it seems to have a little delay going into reverse? any ideas? Oh yeah and the window and mirror motor are very slow, anything i can do about that?
Like they've said above, the power window motors have to be replaced every few years because of the heavy windows. You can get aftermarket ones fairly cheaply. Armrest door you'll have to buy new because 99 out of 100 in the junkyard are broken. Delay in reverse, well mine does that too and I haven't found anything wrong yet, but if it is a prolonged delay there may be sonething else wrong. Matter of fact mine has fairly notchy gear changes forward and backward, the result of a transmission built for more torque. I hear they've improved it. My LS1 is an M6 so I can't compare that way. As for the window thing, that's easy to get at the junkyard or the dealer$hip.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

look online for window motors. the aftermarket ones are a good bit cheaper. also the shocks would be a good upgrade with the other suspension stuff. look online for the armrest too. if not classic industries carries alot of stuff like that.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Teching In

You need to look at the fact that the LT's are cheaper and older.....so you just need to compare the little dumb quirks versus the Big Bucks.......Up to you.....All cars can have problems, but yea...window motors suck lol
Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

I've got a 94 Z with a 110,000 and have only had the normal problem, wp, opti, starter, still has the orig alt, clutch, it's a basic bolt on, but I cammed this springs, because I wanted it sound good, I drive when it's nice out, not sure on mileage I don't check, but in town, around 15 or so, highway in od around 22.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:28 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the help guys,but after me and my dad looked at the 94 some more, i'm gonna wait and sell my GTP then go after a LS1 SS. Id rather wait and get what i really want.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have to agree the LT1 has more of a deeper rumble compared to the LS1...The LT reminds me of old scholl muscle and the LS is like pure race car sounds (with a good exhaust) If your worried about running cheap gas you amy wanna consider a different car..these cars run best with premium gas...as for the A4 comments thats not always true..mine has a 198xxx on the original tranny with a shift kit and a 3200 stall and it runs fine..I just rebuilt the motor to the specs in my sig and it puts down good power and i have had no problems
Old 12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Bandit
Thanks for all the help guys,but after me and my dad looked at the 94 some more, i'm gonna wait and sell my GTP then go after a LS1 SS. Id rather wait and get what i really want.
That's probably a good idea, but...I had a chance to get a Z28 back in 1997 and passed in favor of a V6 Camaro. It took me almost TEN years before I was finally able to get my Z.

Maybe you can get a LT1 real cheap and play with it until you can afford the LS1? You'd probably get all of your money back so long as you don't butcher it and you can sell it and use the money towards your dream car.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a window motor with lifetime replacement like I did, and just replace it when it starts acting slow. Like a $50 motor with free replacement, can't beat it.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

for the money difference between an LT1 and an LS1, you might as well get a LT1 and mod it. ive got 120k on mine and have had zero problems (except one pin hole leak in a coolant hose, overheated cuz of no coolant, still no problems). the LT1 is a great engine, and if its all you can afford now, id go for it and mod in the future. if you have the patience, wait a few years until you can afford a low milage LS1 and get that. i had no patience, so i have an LT1 and have modded it accordingly and can bring down stock LS1s now and have less invested in it than if i had bought an LS1. and i still get 27mpg highway. just my .02

Quick Reply: LT1 Reliability