Rear distributor questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
From my recollection, it does
No, it doesn't.

If you're going to correct someone please at least know what you are talking about, lol.

Currently no one has come out with any solution to simulate the low res pulse effectively that does not use the opti.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383LT1S10

**** optis and distributors.
How high can you rev that thing? I plan on going to 7800. I think the edis gives out before then.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by infinitebird
No, it doesn't.

If you're going to correct someone please at least know what you are talking about, lol.

Currently no one has come out with any solution to simulate the low res pulse effectively that does not use the opti.
A standard rear mount distributor creates its own signal. Ohh you must have a MSD ignition box for this to work. The distributor
creats the signal which could be sent to a standard MSD 6 box. The MSD box then tells the coil when to fire and so on. You would probably have to switch over to a standard MSD or similar coil and mount it back on the firewall.

I am very interested in giving this a try, but I am looking for options on getting the stock intake machined to accept the distributor.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Banned

You need the signals from the opti to control fuel with the stock ecm. Or you could use the 96-? vortec distibuter with an after market ecm.

If your going carbed you could use any dizzy but why would you do that?
Old 12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by foggedz
A standard rear mount distributor creates its own signal. Ohh you must have a MSD ignition box for this to work. The distributor
creats the signal which could be sent to a standard MSD 6 box. The MSD box then tells the coil when to fire and so on. You would probably have to switch over to a standard MSD or similar coil and mount it back on the firewall.

I am very interested in giving this a try, but I am looking for options on getting the stock intake machined to accept the distributor.
I'm not talking about the ignition signal. I'm referring to the low res pulse aka cam position signal. The stock computer needs that to control the injectors properly, and there is no way to do it other than with the opti.

You can go with a rear mount dist for the ignition yes, but just like with the delteq, ltcc, etc you still at least have to retain the optical sensor portion of the opti for the low res pulse.

When I stated that it "doesn't work" with the stock PCM, I was referring to completely eliminating the opti, since that was the question. ggk asked 383LT1S10 if his setup (which completely gets rid of the opti) worked with the stock computer, and the answer is no (he uses the megasquirt).
Old 12-08-2007, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Nope, I an many others have tried every possible solution with no luck. The only possible solution would be to create a low res pulse generator and have it sync up with engine speed somehow. Is it doable? Yes, but far too much hassle just to keep the stock pcm. For the hassle you can go with a aftermarket EMS and be one step ahead.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jakesz28
How high can you rev that thing? I plan on going to 7800. I think the edis gives out before then.
Information regarding rev limits on EDIS is hit and miss really. Some claim to have hit a ceiling at 6,000rpms but it's never been documented other than someone online saying they know someone who had that problem. The other EDIS conversions I've done and helped with have revved to 7,000+ just fine. Usually any problems are caused by using aftermarket coils with too high of resistance and overloading the EDIS module.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not talking about the ignition signal. I'm referring to the low res pulse aka cam position signal. The stock computer needs that to control the injectors properly, and there is no way to do it other than with the opti.

You can go with a rear mount dist for the ignition yes, but just like with the delteq, ltcc, etc you still at least have to retain the optical sensor portion of the opti for the low res pulse.

When I stated that it "doesn't work" with the stock PCM, I was referring to completely eliminating the opti, since that was the question. ggk asked 383LT1S10 if his setup (which completely gets rid of the opti) worked with the stock computer, and the answer is no (he uses the megasquirt).
99% of the OPTI problems are ingition related. If you run a rear mount distributor to control the spark, and just let the opti control the fuel, you eliminating 99% of the OPTI problems.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, it doesn't.

Notice I said "my recollection". Did I say "You're dead wrong, and that's how it is!"? No, I didn't. So you being a complete *** was not even merited. Unless you're trying to impress CapriceMgr, then I'm sure he'd be proud.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM
ggk
Launching!

acctually he might ne right about it working. cause on the 4.3 it uses it as a crank sensor. it prob wouldnt be hard to emulate the cam sensor or even install one int the timing cover.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by taner
i went the rear dist. mount and do not regret it one bit!!!!! one of the best mods i have ever done to the engine combo i am merely running a gm 95-7 pickup truck distributor, lol! nothing fancy.
Does the '95-7 truck style pump out a high & low res signal?

P
Old 12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
ggk
Launching!

i have been looking around but there isnt any real info ive found. what ive found is that a est distributor gives a crank position, but i have found a trouble code that is for a cam position sensor. im just trying to find all this out.(if it isnt in the distributor it might be reall easy to attach a low res reluctor wheel to the opti and get rid of the rotor in the opti)
Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ggk
i have been looking around but there isnt any real info ive found. what ive found is that a est distributor gives a crank position, but i have found a trouble code that is for a cam position sensor. im just trying to find all this out.(if it isnt in the distributor it might be reall easy to attach a low res reluctor wheel to the opti and get rid of the rotor in the opti)
From my friends computer (as in the one you're sitting at) software for vehicles, it shows in the wiring diagrams, that it's a cam sensor, and it uses a crank position sensor. This is on the 4.3, but I'm sure it's the same for the 5.7s.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 AM
ggk
Launching!

where is the crank sensor in an lt1? in the opti on the crank?

the cam sensor is the low res pulse(since they are from the same era i bet they are the same x number(4x / 2x))

last night i found a site that has a crank sensor kit but idk if its good.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Formula350
Notice I said "my recollection". Did I say "You're dead wrong, and that's how it is!"? No, I didn't. So you being a complete *** was not even merited. Unless you're trying to impress CapriceMgr, then I'm sure he'd be proud.
I wasn't being a complete ***, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I just don't see the point of posting to correct someone if you don't even know the answer to what's being discussed.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by foggedz
99% of the OPTI problems are ingition related. If you run a rear mount distributor to control the spark, and just let the opti control the fuel, you eliminating 99% of the OPTI problems.
I agree and I wasn't disputing this.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
ggk
Launching!

anyone have any info on this idea?
Old 12-12-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wasn't being a complete ***, and I'm sorry if you took it that way. I just don't see the point of posting to correct someone if you don't even know the answer to what's being discussed.
If I was correcting you, I wouldn't have said "from how I remember/from my recolection". It would've been more like "No, it does".

Anyways, I don't know if the 92-95 use the Opti as a cam and crank, or just cam sensor, but the 96-97 have their own crank sensor.

Quick Reply: Rear distributor questions