LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ram Air vs K&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Omg not this thread again I like how it jumps from January to June, then June to September.

lmao! yea i remember reading this thread like 6 months ago when i had the same question!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about both..

ram air with a K&N

plus it looks a hell of a lot better than the non ram air setup
Old 09-25-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It truly does AMAZE me that some people dont have the ability to see the advantages of a setup like mine and the one above.

Even if the nostrils in the hood RAISE the NEGATIVE pressure in the box it will make more power.

If you had a vacuum cleaner on, like a shop vac. And you put a 3 foot pipe on it with 2 90* bends in it vs a 18 inch pipe that is straight....which one will suck harder at the end? DUHHH the short straight one.

Now put a leaf blower at the end of the straight 18 inch one, is it making the vacuum cleaner work less hard? Well DUHHH yes it does.

Even if the ram air is putting the negative pressure in the box CLOSER to a positive pressure the engine is working less hard to suck in the intake charge.

This really is common sense. There is also a post in the drag tech section on this.

David
Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

ok so either way, its better than a CAI on an lt1. the point is ram air works whether it forces more air into your motor or not. no need to start this **** up again.

i must say though, IMHO mr.fatboy, FI>1psi ram air.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
It truly does AMAZE me that some people dont have the ability to see the advantages of a setup like mine and the one above.

Even if the nostrils in the hood RAISE the NEGATIVE pressure in the box it will make more power.

If you had a vacuum cleaner on, like a shop vac. And you put a 3 foot pipe on it with 2 90* bends in it vs a 18 inch pipe that is straight....which one will suck harder at the end? DUHHH the short straight one.

Now put a leaf blower at the end of the straight 18 inch one, is it making the vacuum cleaner work less hard? Well DUHHH yes it does.

Even if the ram air is putting the negative pressure in the box CLOSER to a positive pressure the engine is working less hard to suck in the intake charge.

This really is common sense. There is also a post in the drag tech section on this.

David
I'm sure most of us, especially me, are aware of the benefits of ram air in the right application.

Straight shot to filter and the four 38mm throttle bodies. Yes, it works - and you can hear it greedily sucking air all the way to 17,000 rpms(if the exhaust didnt drown it out after ~8k).

Your explanation is very flawed though. Much like how people over complicate exhaust systems with arguments about the whole backpressure myth, it is not as simple as different sized straws or vacuums. That is because air is not just sucked in or blown out of an engine in streams like a leaf blower - there are many pulses and swirls, and you cannot begin to try to get down to the basic "hows and whys" without getting into advanced physics that are waaaaayyy over most of our heads. This is why Elliot or AI can port a killer set of heads, but if one of us runs to our shop and dremels the hell out of some stockers until they flowed 300+ cfm they would still not have nearly the same performance .

The question is not if the concept of ram air works or not, since of course it does. The question is if its worth the price for a street LT1 that runs in the 1/4. The answer is obviously no. You will not gain anything more then a "margin of error" measurement in back to back runs. It has been tested to death on LT1s with "normal" hoods with little no no track improvements. The whole ram air hood and airbox is advertised for 15hp over stock - the same you would expect from a good CAI. I bet if you unsealed your hood and ran the same airbox/hood setup you will not see any change in 1/4 mile times. Maybe in a standing mile run, but not the 1/4.

This is ram air:

This is a waste of almost a grand:

Much like cam, exhaust, and LS1 vs LT1 discussions this thread is destined to survive another 5 pages of arguments before dying another slow and painful death...
Old 09-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
how about both..

ram air with a K&N

plus it looks a hell of a lot better than the non ram air setup

Nice^^^^^

Looks 100% better then mine. Mine was a pain in the *** to install, alot of cuttin but the the performance was noticeable!! Suncoast predator hood

Quick Reply: Ram Air vs K&N