LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Camaro Totalled??!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Camaro Totalled??!!! :(

So I volunteered to go to Iraq for a year to uy my 1997 30th aniversary camaro....the ENTIRE reason I went was to get that car and fix her up. I loved that car...her name was Ellie. I watched my friends get shot, blown up, and one even died while I was there....I got shot at and blown up multiple times...just for this car. And now she's gone. I got into an accident today and I am fearing frame damage..severe frame damage. I am going to assess the damages tomorrow, and if ir is recoverable I will do what I can to get her back. This car is EVERYTHING to me. I actually cried several times today thinking about possibly losing it. Sorry if it sounds gay to you, but makes it feel like going to Iraq was worthless now and its all for nothing. here are some pics of the aftermath.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
frontsmall.bmp (104.5 KB, 380 views)
frontsidesmall.bmp (207.6 KB, 248 views)
wrecksidesmall.bmp (225.1 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the door close? It looks like it is pushed back a couple mm but could be the angle.

If it means that much to you I would bitch to no end untill the insurance just decides to have the car fixed. Feel free to rub in the military experiences since you deserve it. If you don't change you mind and hold out indefinely maybe they will decide in your favour just to get out of the obligation. Of course, that is assuming it was the other guys fault or whatever.

Also, how is your windshield in tact? Did the airbags not go off???
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Really sorry to hear about your wreck, very nice LT Camaro! What did you hit? Possibly it looks worse than it is based on the exterior body damage.

WD

PS: 21 years 4 months active duty military.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry to hear about your accident, but the only thing that does matter is, that YOUR ok. A car can be replaced, YOU can not. Your time in Iraq also wasnt a waste. You served your country and you should be proud of that. A car is a great hobby and is fun to have, but your life, and decisions shouldnt revolve around one. Accidents happen, but you will pull through and find a car you will like more. Maybe its time for a 35th SS Goodluck to you and like I said already, the only thing that matters is you and the other person involved are OK.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

that sucks man, sorry to hear. I agree though main thing is that you are ok. A car can always be replaced.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just from the pix you have i would say it is done for. if your insur.co. does total it see how much you can buy it back for and swap everything to a different body....sorry for your loss(losses)
your above statement i would like to elaborate on just a bit.
although your ride is badly hurt,the time you were at THE SAND PIT was still worth it,you have done a fine job, worthwhile, definately! i am sure many will agree with me and i thank you for being there for me...
Old 12-29-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry to hear that man, real nice car, that's a shame.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
So I volunteered to go to Iraq for a year to uy my 1997 30th aniversary camaro....the ENTIRE reason I went was to get that car and fix her up. I loved that car...her name was Ellie. I watched my friends get shot, blown up, and one even died while I was there....I got shot at and blown up multiple times...just for this car. And now she's gone. I got into an accident today and I am fearing frame damage..severe frame damage. I am going to assess the damages tomorrow, and if ir is recoverable I will do what I can to get her back. This car is EVERYTHING to me. I actually cried several times today thinking about possibly losing it. Sorry if it sounds gay to you, but makes it feel like going to Iraq was worthless now and its all for nothing. here are some pics of the aftermath.
Your time definitely was not a waste. Even if it is damaged beyond repair there are lots of LTx's out there, don't let it get you down. Thank you for your service.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

You rock man! cars can be fixed/replaced you're ok that's the important thing
Old 12-30-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schweet97Z
Sorry to hear about your accident, but the only thing that does matter is, that YOUR ok. A car can be replaced, YOU can not. Your time in Iraq also wasnt a waste. You served your country and you should be proud of that. A car is a great hobby and is fun to have, but your life, and decisions shouldnt revolve around one. Accidents happen, but you will pull through and find a car you will like more. Maybe its time for a 35th SS Goodluck to you and like I said already, the only thing that matters is you and the other person involved are OK.
My sentiments exactly! Thanks for serving our country. Now go get you another one!
Old 12-30-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

You dont have insurance?
Old 12-30-2007, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seriously dude its just time to move on to something better. LT5 anyone?

Or am I the only one that dreams of the real ZR-1, none of thise ZR1 bullshit.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

thanks you for serving our country.

i hope you can get the car fixed.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

ive been thru it. had a 95 z28 that i busted my *** for 4 years to get it the way i wanted it. had it repainted and put some new tt2s on it. and a month later bam i totalled it. it hurt pretty bad. but i didnt let that hold me down in finding a new one and going all out this time. these things will break your heart. but dont let it get you down. your still around to enjoy another one.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

first, same senitments as above. glad you are ok.

thanks for serving!!!

i think the car is definitely salvagable, for what it is worth. if you are interested, my brother may have all of the parts you need to fix her up....if it is not a right off. he got nailed in the back about 6 weeks ago, he is still fighting to get things sorted out with the ins. company. he has a 96 z vert. if you are interested let me know. unfortunately his car is a write off
Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

It gets here today, and I woll find out what the actual damages are to her. As for insurance, I had liability only and I was at fault. I didnt hit another person technically, the vehicle I hit was parked in a car lot where I ended up after I lost control. Here is the story.

I was heading through Texas on my way back to Cheyenne, Wyoming to report back in to my base after the leave they gave me from Iraq. I was headed North on 385 out of Littlefield, Tx with my cruise set on 75 in a 70mph zone. My GF called me so I was digging for my phone and didnt see the sign saying 40mph or the one saying I was entering a little podunk assed town called Springlake. Low and behold there is a effing stop sign in the middle of the freeway and I saw it with about 100 feet left. I slammed on the braked but I have 3 letters........ABS. Didnt slow me down fast enough and there was a big dip in the intersection. my car hit the dip and lost control...by the time I could react I was headed straight for a curp and a 1 foot concrete barrier. I hit the curb, then the barrier, went up and over the barrier, into the parking lot and nailed a 2002 Chevy Silverado that was for sale in that lot. Pictures of the curb, lot, and truck below.

Yes, the driver door opens and closes just fine, as if nothing had happened.

Taner....PM SENT
Attached Images
curbsmall.bmp (324.1 KB, 165 views)
trucksmall.bmp (324.1 KB, 153 views)
Old 12-30-2007, 10:01 AM
12 Second Club

oh yeah, and thank you all for the posts and respect for the military. Means a lot. Thanks for all the support.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have seen worse. If the door opens and closes and ALL OF THE GAPS on the hatch, rear quarters etc, are fine, it is fixable. Buy it back. I guarantee it is totalled according to your insurance. Start stripping the front end pieces when you get it. Keep whatever is salvageable. Perfect time to upgrade to an aftermarket k-member and a-arms. Fenders can be found for cheap on here or ebay. Aftermarket cowl or sunoco hood. ANYONE can paint white, even Maaco. You will have to farm out the frame straightening, you need a pro to do this.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

I'm not gonna get a cheap paint job though. This is the Anniversary Edition, **** will be done right. It might cost me, but I WILL make her better than before if I can. I owe it to her now. I will be aking some engine, suspension, and body mods while I recover her, but this is gonna be a SLOOOWWW process. It will be "as I get the money" for parts and ****. I think I may take up Taner on that camaro of his brothers and use it to get mine started depending on how much he wants for the chassis. As for my engine and driveline it all seemed ok. The engine was still running after the wreck, and it sounded smooth, no knocks or pings, no uneven idle....I dont know about the tranny yet, hopefully that 6-speed is ok and no gears are gone. My DS and Rear-end should be fine. If she can be fixed, she will be.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by donkey mule
My sentiments exactly! Thanks for serving our country. Now go get you another one!
I agree....

Quick Reply: Camaro Totalled??!!! :(