LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
I have seen evidence of it. Mostly on more modified cars.

HOW? What type of evidence? Again, not trying to say it's NOT true, I'd really like to learn and see that what you're saying is TRUE. I can't just listen to you and be convinced, convince me by showing me a real dyno to compare both mufflers. Again, everyone can say stuff, I can say I'm brad pitt, do you believe me? . Not trying to be a smart *** and I always ask experienced people and learn from them, I've been through it all but when it comes to this muffler subject I really REALLY can't be convinced just by telling an opinion.

After all, in my opinion, a muffler DOES NOT give you THAAAAAT much of extra horse power ya know, it's not something you add on your lt1 car and all of a sudden it flys, no matter what brand is it, and for that reason (That's just me) I choose mufflers by the sound not by how much extra horse power it'll give me.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

It won't be a huge dif on a stock car. But people making a lot of power have swapped the 80 series with another catback and picked up some power.

For most people though, it's probably not that much difference.

The thing is that flowmaster is primarily designed for sound, so it's not an optimal piece for flow, some of the other ones like borla, mufflex, etc are more designed for that.

See, now we're getting somewhere mate . Now u started to kinda agree wirh me that mufflers in general aren't really that important when it comes to HP numbers. I'll tell you what though, I drove with a borla exhaust for about 2 months and when switched to flowmasters the compliments picked up by 231% .
Old 01-25-2008, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Yea no real EVIDENCE to back this up, but most of the FBODY community will agree that the 80 series just plain suck, stay away if you can.
It's been proven many times but ignorant people like you don't want to listen. I know someone who gained over 30rwhp by opening the cutout on his flowmaster catback.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Red1996SS1519
Now u started to kinda agree wirh me that mufflers in general aren't really that important when it comes to HP numbers.
On a nearly stock car is what I said.

Once you get into more serious mods, a flowmaster is going to rob you of power.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

HOW? What type of evidence? Again, not trying to say it's NOT true, I'd really like to learn and see that what you're saying is TRUE. I can't just listen to you and be convinced, convince me by showing me a real dyno to compare both mufflers.
You might want to do a little searching. This has been discussed so many times.

Here's one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/322956-flowmaster-hooker-catback-dyno-results.html

This guy picked up 18rwhp switching from the blowmaster to a hooker. I know that's an ls1, but the design is basically the same.

Go with the blowmaster if you like the sound, but don't delude yourself into thinking it makes the same power as the better flowing options that are out there.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It's been proven many times but ignorant people like you don't want to listen. I know someone who gained over 30rwhp by opening the cutout on his flowmaster catback.

Did I INSULT anyone here? It's a fun subject to talk about not to insult each other. Oh, hold on, you got 1727 posts so I guess you can kick my *** when it comes to posting a tread or a comment on ls1tech, so here you go, I'll make your day:

I'm ignorant, stupid and have no brain. R u happy? , I can add more if you like, just tell me what would you like me to say . You make me laugh, let's not highjack this guy's thread, got something against me then PM me. Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

You might want to do a little searching. This has been discussed so many times.

Here's one: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322956

This guy picked up 18rwhp switching from the blowmaster to a hooker. I know that's an ls1, but the design is basically the same.

Go with the blowmaster if you like the sound, but don't delude yourself into thinking it makes the same power as the better flowing options that are out there.
Thanks for the great info and numbers, and above all I'm looking to learn as I said before , oh, and thanks for not callimg me IGNORANT , you actually gave me a link to look at instead of just calling me IGNORANT . Thanks for the info again, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

no problem, we were all dumb newbs at one point and had to start somewhere
Old 01-25-2008, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

no problem, we were all dumb newbs at one point and had to start somewhere
Hehehe, I only wanna learn man, that's all I want .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:07 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Come on guyz.. dont be that stress.
I have heard flowmaster, so its not like a unknown junk.. Maybe others give more or less horsepower thats it.
I just want to know which one is louder and give more hp at stock exhaust system..

we can only tell ho diffrences if you put same car with different exhaust to dyno..
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 PM
ZSU
Launching!

by he way I think my car has no catalytic converter just pipe.
Maybe it can be good for cars performance?:p

And there is a lot of muffler..
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=4&pcid=97
Bullet muffler? Whats this..
And borla is the most expensive one..
Old 01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Im watching Rides at discovery channel, and Chopper Hot rodz.. They did a Hodrod with no good and there is only Headers no cat no muffler It sounds great
Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I disagree, there is HP to be found with just a muffler swap on a stock catback.

Take the crossflow off, put a single in/out muffler(Magnaflow) on with a single turndown tip behind the bumper...there is horsepower there.

David
Old 01-25-2008, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Did I INSULT anyone here? It's a fun subject to talk about not to insult each other. Oh, hold on, you got 1727 posts so I guess you can kick my *** when it comes to posting a tread or a comment on ls1tech, so here you go, I'll make your day:

I'm ignorant, stupid and have no brain. R u happy? , I can add more if you like, just tell me what would you like me to say . You make me laugh, let's not highjack this guy's thread, got something against me then PM me. Thanks

You're the one saying there is no proof out there when a simple search would turn up hundreds of threads on this very same subject with PROOF. And you might want to delete your account here if you get that upset over a single post.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

On a nearly stock car is what I said.

Once you get into more serious mods, a flowmaster is going to rob you of power.
It would be costing you power on a stock/near stock car over a better catback/true duals.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

It TRULY amazes me that people repeat what they read.

There is nothing wrong with the Flowmaster CATBACK, it is the CROSSFLOW MUFFLER that is not so good. Put a single in/out Magnaflow on a Flowmaster "catback" and watch it make more power. Put a single in/out FLowmaster on the same system and make more power than the Crossflow muffler.

And for the record NO crossflow Fbody style dual exit muffler will flow with a single in/single out muffler.

Why do you think a Borla and a SLP 2OTL makes so much power? Straight through muffler on both systems.

FLowmaster IS NOT a bad muffler, I have seen plenty of other cars with regular dual exhaust make big power with them. FLowmaster is THE company who started the high flow muffler industry....PERIOD.

In the beginning Flowmaster is all there was.... except for glasspacks and "turbo" mufflers.

Back in the beginning of the NMCA Fastest Streetcar days ALL the cars had 4 and 5 inch FLowmaster mufflers on the running low 8 second 1/4 mile ET's. SOme still do.

COme on guys call it like it is.

David
Old 01-26-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Veteran

when my car started backfiring, i blew the 3 chambers apart and out the tailpipes on my 80 series, so i guess i have a 0 chamber now lol.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It would be costing you power on a stock/near stock car over a better catback/true duals.
Read what I said, and don't be an ***. On a stock car the difference is not going to be much. A few hp maybe, not really enough to notice. When you start adding more power, it's going to hurt you more.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure u buy an extra set of muffler bearing no matter which one you go with
Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have an 80 serioes flowmaster and it does the trick

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?