LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?

Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock LT1 Transam exhaust system??
Or what would I do for tune?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh god...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Originally Posted by chavez885
oh god...
?

oh god isnt a muffler brand. huh
Old 01-25-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Chavez885 , if you don't like a question simply don't answer it, ur comment is kinda stupid and I know you might be offended now.
That's a huge question man, everyone has a different taste. I myself tried SLP, Magnaflow and Flowmasters and found Flowmasters the best sound as it gives you a deeper rumble than other brands especially with headers. You can listen to the video in my signature, it's a flowmaster 80 series, this isn't a stock car at all with SLP headers and a 3 inch exhaust but at least you'll be able to listen to flowmasters. I have a different video when the car was still stock with flowmasters 40 series.
Good luck on ur search, I'm sure there's a link somewhere to listen to different types here on LS1tech, I'll look for it and pm you if I find it.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I couldn't hear anything but the music.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Red1996SS1519
Chavez885 , if you don't like a question simply don't answer it, ur comment is kinda stupid and I know you might be offended now.
That's a huge question man, everyone has a different taste. I myself tried SLP, Magnaflow and Flowmasters and found Flowmasters the best sound as it gives you a deeper rumble than other brands especially with headers. You can listen to the video in my signature, it's a flowmaster 80 series, this isn't a stock car at all with SLP headers and a 3 inch exhaust but at least you'll be able to listen to flowmasters. I have a different video when the car was still stock with flowmasters 40 series.
Good luck on ur search, I'm sure there's a link somewhere to listen to different types here on LS1tech, I'll look for it and pm you if I find it.
Yes my comment was, so is the original question. It's been asked many times. You can't pick out ONE muffler and say it SOUNDS better than another. There will be very little performance advantage by swapping mufflers and thats it.

EVERYONE has an opinion on what THEY think sounds good. I'll say rustmuffler sounds the best and performs the best! Happy?
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM
ZSU
Launching!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDLY REPLY! YOU ARE MY MAN..
SLP, Loudmouth 1 shotgun?
My car hsa orginal GM.. I like its sound but I want more rumble.. My friend bought a BMW 645Ci it has Hamann exhaust, it sound great..

I like that sound, I know it need header but..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kPmJB-T3A
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Yes my comment was, so is the original question. It's been asked many times. You can't pick out ONE muffler and say it SOUNDS better than another. There will be very little performance advantage by swapping mufflers and thats it.

EVERYONE has an opinion on what THEY think sounds good. I'll say rustmuffler sounds the best and performs the best! Happy?
Now THAAAAAAT'S a lot better than : OH GOD ... and I know we both agree on this one . Go peash !!!? .
Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZSU
THANK YOU FOR YOUR KINDLY REPLY! YOU ARE MY MAN..
SLP, Loudmouth 1 shotgun?
My car hsa orginal GM.. I like its sound but I want more rumble.. My friend bought a BMW 645Ci it has Hamann exhaust, it sound great..

I like that sound, I know it need header but..

Oh yea check this site out zsu http://www.ls1sounds.com/ there are several stockish LT1 cars on there with different catbacks, that should help more than people stating their opinions.
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

The flowmaster 80 series is one of the worst flowing setups out there and will rob power. Sure it sounds ok but if you want "sound and performance" stay away from that one.

Most of the others, hooker, magnaflow, loudmouth, the flowmaster 40s, etc have similar performance but sound is totally subjective so there is no right answer there.
ZSU
Launching!

hmmm..
could you watch video at youtube which I linked..
So you will a bit understand me.
I know it has more mod but I want to know nearest sound muffler..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Here it is without the music :

http://youtube.com/user/PowerHouseCamaro
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by infinitebird
The flowmaster 80 series is one of the worst flowing setups out there and will rob power. Sure it sounds ok but if you want "sound and performance" stay away from that one.

Most of the others, hooker, magnaflow, loudmouth, the flowmaster 40s, etc have similar performance but sound is totally subjective so there is no right answer there.
Yea no real EVIDENCE to back this up, but most of the FBODY community will agree that the 80 series just plain suck, stay away if you can.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Here it is without the music :

http://youtube.com/user/PowerHouseCamaro
Your cars exhaust tip look great at middle
But I think superchargers sound more louder that ur exhaust sound
Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
ZSU
Launching!

bytheway
Any near exhaust brand which can sound similar like the car at you tube??
Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Well, I don't know what to tell you about that one and don't know who to believe, get me a dyno with this muffler on a stock lt1 compared to others and only then I'll really be convinced that it's a piece of ****. Here's what other websites are saying :

Specifically designed to meet the needs of vehicles where the muffler mounts sideways behind the rear axle, Flowmaster’s 80 Series Cross Flow Muffler puts plentiful power and torque at the pedal. And, it really lets other cars on the road hear it, with a heavy dose of the famous Flowmaster aggressive muscle car sound.

The Flowmaster 80 Series doesn’t hold back on in-cab sound, either. This specialized 2-chamber design offers a heaping helping of interior resonance, letting your really hear the force of your engine when it roars.

Ideal for adding to Camaros, Firebirds or low ground clearance vehicles, the Flowmaster 80 Series boasts the quality construction you’d expect from Flowmaster. Each Flowmaster Muffler is built with 16-gauge aluminized steel for corrosion resistance and fully mig-welded for maximum durability. Best yet, your Flowmaster 80 Series Cross Flow Muffler boasts a 3-year warranty.

Go figure, in my case I honestly don't need the power or the extra horse power from it, but in this guy's case I don't know if what ur telling him about the 80 series is true, not saying that it's not true but even if 100000000 people HERE on ls1tech would say so, I'd still think it's bullshit. I'd like to see a dyno if someone can help me out to show me that the 80 series flowmaster COMPARED to others is junk, otherwise you can say all u want but I need numbers on a dyno. I had the 40 series before and never noticed that the 80 series compared to it is JUNK. Whatever . It's a huge subject as everyone here agrees but it's fun to talk about it sometimes and I know it's been here many times .
Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZSU
Your cars exhaust tip look great at middle
But I think superchargers sound more louder that ur exhaust sound
Yeah, the blower whine in the video honestly sounds a little louder than in real for some reason, that camera picked up the sound a little higher.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea no real EVIDENCE to back this up, but most of the FBODY community will agree that the 80 series just plain suck, stay away if you can.
I have seen evidence of it. Mostly on more modified cars. There are some dyno tests that were done on LS1s that showed flowmaster didn't make as much power as other catbacks.

Last edited by infinitebird; 01-25-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, I don't know what to tell you about that one and don't know who to believe, get me a dyno with this muffler on a stock lt1 compared to others and only then I'll really be convinced that it's a piece of ****.
It won't be a huge dif on a stock car. But people making a lot of power have swapped the 80 series with another catback and picked up some power.

For most people though, it's probably not that much difference.

The thing is that flowmaster is primarily designed for sound, so it's not an optimal piece for flow, some of the other ones like borla, mufflex, etc are more designed for that.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what thing for sure..

I have a flowmaster, and when I open my cutout its honestly atleast a 15-20 hp difference easy...

-Rick

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?