LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To you, ZSU, the exhaust in this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kPmJB-T3A ) sounds like an open cut-out or maybe no muffler at all.

Your car is basically stock I'm assuming, so just go to http://www.ls1sounds.com/ and click the links at the left to listen to all the different exhaust brands on LS1's and LT1's. Like others have said, there won't really be any difference in horsepower numbers between different brands.

What sounds the best is totally an opinion and you should pick what you think sounds best not what everyone else does. I personally think the best sounding cat-backs are Flowmaster, GMMG, and Hooker...but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
It TRULY amazes me that people repeat what they read.

There is nothing wrong with the Flowmaster CATBACK, it is the CROSSFLOW MUFFLER that is not so good. Put a single in/out Magnaflow on a Flowmaster "catback" and watch it make more power. Put a single in/out FLowmaster on the same system and make more power than the Crossflow muffler.

And for the record NO crossflow Fbody style dual exit muffler will flow with a single in/single out muffler.

Why do you think a Borla and a SLP 2OTL makes so much power? Straight through muffler on both systems.

FLowmaster IS NOT a bad muffler, I have seen plenty of other cars with regular dual exhaust make big power with them. FLowmaster is THE company who started the high flow muffler industry....PERIOD.

In the beginning Flowmaster is all there was.... except for glasspacks and "turbo" mufflers.

Back in the beginning of the NMCA Fastest Streetcar days ALL the cars had 4 and 5 inch FLowmaster mufflers on the running low 8 second 1/4 mile ET's. SOme still do.

COme on guys call it like it is.

David
Great info, thanks a lot.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZSU
Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock LT1 Transam exhaust system??
Or what would I do for tune?
Hows it going over there and which country are you from again I cant remember?

Most people here dont really like the flowmaster mufflers for our type cars as you have read. A bunch of people just get some BULLET mufflers and make the car have true dual exhaust and just put a turn down on each pipe before the rear axle. This will likely be about the loudest set up you can get other then not having a muffler. If your car sits really low this can also make it bottom out on the pipes easier then stock but most people have no problem with it if they take the time to tuck the pipes up under the car correctly.

I still have a stock type flowmaster on mine that was there when I purchased the car because I have spent my money elsewhere to get it to hook instead of making power with a better exhaust that I can not get to the street anyways because of spinning the tires.

There are also a ton of people that go with the SLP LOUDMOUTH as well and they are very loud as they really dont have a muffler just a resonator to quite it up a bit. If you have a trans am this will be best for you as your rear bumper is notched for the pipes out the back and this will still have them exit there instead of the rear looking funny since there is no pipes where there should be. I will put a link below but try going to youtube and looking for a lt1 powered fbody with a slp loudmouth.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31042A
Old 01-26-2008, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It TRULY amazes me that people repeat what they read.

There is nothing wrong with the Flowmaster CATBACK, it is the CROSSFLOW MUFFLER that is not so good. Put a single in/out Magnaflow on a Flowmaster "catback" and watch it make more power. Put a single in/out FLowmaster on the same system and make more power than the Crossflow muffler.

And for the record NO crossflow Fbody style dual exit muffler will flow with a single in/single out muffler.

Why do you think a Borla and a SLP 2OTL makes so much power? Straight through muffler on both systems.

FLowmaster IS NOT a bad muffler, I have seen plenty of other cars with regular dual exhaust make big power with them. FLowmaster is THE company who started the high flow muffler industry....PERIOD.

In the beginning Flowmaster is all there was.... except for glasspacks and "turbo" mufflers.

Back in the beginning of the NMCA Fastest Streetcar days ALL the cars had 4 and 5 inch FLowmaster mufflers on the running low 8 second 1/4 mile ET's. SOme still do.

COme on guys call it like it is.

David

How is the flowmaster catback not the problem when the muffler is included in the catback? And there are plenty of other crossflow mufflers that outflow the flowmaster.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
How is the flowmaster catback not the problem when the muffler is included in the catback? And there are plenty of other crossflow mufflers that outflow the flowmaster.
ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????????????

People condemn the Flowmaster CATBACK because of all the CRAP they read on message boards and buy a WHOLE new system. WHY???

All you need to do is change the muffler, catbacks are all essentially the same with the exception of the SLP 2OTL and the Borla.

If you want max power out of the system, ANY system, trash the crossflow muffler and put a single in/out muffler on with a single turndown This makes more power on ANY system.

David
Old 01-26-2008, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????????????

People condemn the Flowmaster CATBACK because of all the CRAP they read on message boards and buy a WHOLE new system. WHY???

All you need to do is change the muffler, catbacks are all essentially the same with the exception of the SLP 2OTL and the Borla.

If you want max power out of the system, ANY system, trash the crossflow muffler and put a single in/out muffler on with a single turndown This makes more power on ANY system.

David
If you want the most power run true duals PERIOD, not a single pipe exhaust. And if you said the piping wasn't a problem that would have made it a little more clear.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

borla, GMMG, magnaflow, and hooker are some of the better catbacks... i personally would save get longtube headers and a true dual setup
Old 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got rid of my hooker, in fact i gave it to a co-worker and swapped to a flowmaster setup. (not catback) i ran my ORY into a 3inch cutout into a flowmaster 40series single in/dual out and it sounds awesome. i dont notice a different with cutout open or closed other than sound... to the others, i have played with a few mufflers on my y-pipe and havent noticed a slight bit of difference between them all. i did this with a backpressure gauge and driving the vehicle. personally i am not a stickler for all dyno, sure all cars with impressive dyno numbers make people talk, but dyno numbers do nothing for me on how they perform... now, after this long drawn out text that means nothing to the original post, i would recommend 40 series flowmasters. really raspy and rumbly and have that low note sound. thats my .02
Old 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used Walker Dynomax and found that they sound and perform extremely well. I have seen flow charts showing that they flow better than Flowmasters, but that was some time ago so things might have changed. Getting exhaust without installing headers is kind of a waste in my view. When modifying exhaust your HP improvements will be at peak or high RPM where flow restriction comes into play. I have found that the best sounding exhausts are usually the larger diameter ones. A 2.5" true dual with headers, or a 3" will give you that hollowed-out reverberating sound most racers like.

Pay particular attention to the muffler itself after you have changed to headers/performance cats, and you have decided on the pipe diameter you want. Flowmasters are nice sounding mufflers, but they can vary in performance on which design you buy. Likewise with the Walker Dynomax muffler. There are flow numbers available around the net for these mufflers so try searching. Flow charts come and go on the net. Pay less attention to the brand of muffler, and more attention to the actual model number and its performance.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i hate flowmaster exhaust... it just sounds nice. corsa or magnaflow would be nice
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Go duals,sound good and perform great
Old 02-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Teching In

From what Ive heard personally I love anything by Borla or GMMG. look into their cat backs.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

i USED TO HAVE BORLA..SOUNDED GREAT! AND IT COMES WITH ADJUSTABLES PLATES INCASE YOU GET TIRED OF IT BEING TOO LOUD OR QUIET.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust Muffler is the BEST Brand that gives sound and performance for stock?