LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Might get another F-body. Need LT1 advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a really nice car to me, but the price is a bit high for what I'd pay for an LT1, especially an A4, even though it's got reasonably low miles on it.

Forget driving in wintery conditions unless you've got a set of snow tires kept aside for this bad boy. Make sure you get tires with good traction in the wet, or you'll find yourself struggling for grip around corners and up steep gradients from a stop. The LT1s torque peak comes in low at a very street friendly RPM, and this makes itself apparent in wet weather.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
Looks like a really nice car to me, but the price is a bit high for what I'd pay for an LT1, especially an A4, even though it's got reasonably low miles on it.

Forget driving in wintery conditions unless you've got a set of snow tires kept aside for this bad boy. Make sure you get tires with good traction in the wet, or you'll find yourself struggling for grip around corners and up steep gradients from a stop. The LT1s torque peak comes in low at a very street friendly RPM, and this makes itself apparent in wet weather.
Maybe the A4 is different but I've had only a few issues with driving my LT1/M6 in the snow. As long as you are aware of what you're doing, then there shouldn't be a problem. Granted, its no AWD subaru or anything, but it can handle weather.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i think A4s are a little harder to drive in snow. Especially if ur rear breaks are really bad.

Im still planing on getting the car this Saturday. Im going to pick it up Saturday mourning. Take it back to Burn's, get it up on one of our lifts. I'll give it a good look over then if every thing checks out, give him a check. Im hopeing that i dont find any surprizes under it. Is there anything I should be on the look out for? Any expensive items that are known for wearing out faster then just average wear and tear?

Im gald i dont have the car yet. It snowed like 6in today, and its still snowing. When is winter going to be over?? The only thing that i think i will have problems with is the ground clearence of the car. I mean i use to get around all winter in my pickup without having to use 4wd. The only time i had to use 4wd is when i was out asking 4 it. Just driving to work and back id be fine in 2wd. And that was with a very light pickup with no weight in the back, on 20in street tires. O yea that actually was 1wd beacuse the pickup had an open rear diff. So i think ground clearence is the main problem with getting around in snow. Not traction. Dont get me wrong an AWD car will get threw more because of more traction. But if ur not plowing the road as ur diving, it will be alot easier to get around with limited traction.

Anyone make lift kits for a 95 Z28??? Hahaha.....
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sdm1234
good point. but an LT1 as a DD in bad weather? that doesn't sound like a good idea...
Yeah Opti + Water = no no
Old 02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1996firebirdformula
Yeah Opti + Water = no no
So is there anything you LT1 guys do to help with OPTI problems?? Im new to LT1s. Ur opti gets moisture in it then ur ignition shorts out?? It dosnt distribute properly??

I mean that was the whole reason i started this tread..

To get info on purchasing an LT1 car. I need info on good things and bad things. What things to watchout for. Stuff like that.

But instead i got mostly arguing about weather the car will get threw 10-15 days that theres snow on the ground here. Or if the cars worth the price or not. And as u can read there are no real answers to those questions.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blakern
I found this 1995 Z28 A4 a couple weeks ago and im very interested in it. Its got just under 76K on it and looks very well cared for.

He wants $6500 for the car and that sounds reasonable to me. I'll probly try to get him down to $6000.
As a point of comparison, almost 3 years ago, I bought a '95 Z convertible, all bone stock (except Flowmaster muffler) and all residuals new: tires, top, oil change, and so on. Leather interior, red paint, 4L60E, 80k. Adult owned.

I paid $6k for it 3 years ago. It could be a "location" thing - I bought this car in Dallas (TX - though I don't live there). I could buy the same car, easily, for $5k now.

As I said, in your area, the price might be higher, but I wouldn't pay more than $5k for it nowadays.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

So is there anything you LT1 guys do to help with OPTI problems?? Im new to LT1s. Ur opti gets moisture in it then ur ignition shorts out?? It dosnt distribute properly??
Well, to start with, since that car is a 95, the opti is a vented design, so it should not get moisture in it just driving around. That said you still want to avoid getting too much water on it you can, since they can still act up.

The opti generally has few problems if you maintain it properly and you don't put on a junk one like the accel/summit/autozone ones.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where in nebraska r u? i daily drive a '95 z28 a4, except if there is any snow or ice out. i made that mistake once, ok twice. it was a little slick, but it was pretty windy. the cross wind was blowin the rear around really badly. also, one night it started lightly snowing, and on my way home i was very gently speeding up from 70 to 75 thinkin it wasn't bad out and immediatly got sideways. if by chance u live where there are any hills, (hills in Nebraska? i know) its gonna suck, a friend tried drivin his z28 his freshman year at UNO, not fun in the winter. ok, one more story. in high school (5 yrs ago) i got stuck in the parking lot one winter...after the 2 inches of snow had been cleared.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

I live in Gibbon. 15 miles east of Kearney.

So if u have to replace your OTPI which one is the best???
Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 AM
On The Tree

So if u have to replace your OTPI which one is the best???
GM AC Delco
Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I daily drive my 97 LT1 TA with summer tires. But i see like 2 TINY flurries a year. Never any dangerous snow. Rain traction is fine with responsible fine. It's pretty hilly around here too... I drive maybe 250-300 miles a week

Quick Reply: Might get another F-body. Need LT1 advice.