LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car not starting.. help please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car not starting.. help please!

The car will not start all of a sudden. I put the key in the ignition, voltage is great (so that eliminates the battery), no securety light (that eliminates VATS), and i dont hear any clicking of the solenoid on the starter.... all i hear is a slight click in the steering column.. ignition switch was changed a few months ago.. what could it be? does not start. i had to walk home from work tonight.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

i went back to try it again and nothing.. i did notice something though.. i dont hear the fuel pump priming when the key is in accesory.. does this mean anything? even if lets say the fuel pump went bad, wouldn't the car still attempt to turn over and then die? my starter wont even engage.. i dont know what it cold be.. same with opti, if it were the opti, it would try to turn over right?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

no one?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Yes, if the opti was bad it won't just die on you like that, it would attept to start. As for the starter to be honest with you I'm thinking something is wrong there, do you have a back up starter? I know it's a pain to reach it without taking the y pipe off but try to replace it and see what happens.
As for the fuel pump, if you don't hear that sound when you put the ignition on then ur fuel pump isn't pumping any fuel but again, that wouldn't make your describtion. I understand that you try to start the car and you hear no noises what so ever, just try with the starter first, if the fuel pump is bad I really dout it dying THAT quick and just not have your car start all of the sudden, the fuel that was in the lines the last time you ran it would have been enough to at least run your engine a little, so I really doubt the fuel pump.
Also, just disconnect the batter for at least a minute and let the computer reset and try it again. I'm very curious to know what's going on there man.
I hope you'll soon find out .
Adam
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks a lot buddy.. i reset the pcm last night and nothing changed.. im starting to think its the starter as well.. my y-pipe is welded to my collectors so i have no choice but to replace it without removing the ypipe lol.. yeah as for the fuel pump, maybe the fise blew or something.. because even if the pump went bad, the car would still attempt to turn over. im thinking starter.. ill check all grounds and fuses first, then go from there.. thanks for you concern
Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Junkie

lol.. i was looking at the fuses.. and the ECM IGNITION fuse was blown.. then i put in another fuse and when i put it in accesory (the key), the fuse blew right away.. its probably grounding out right? could a blown ecm ignition fuse cause my car not to start? =P
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No ECM power would pretty much mean nothing is doing it's job because it's not getting told what to do by the boss (ECM). I think that fuse (note: think) it's to give power to the ECM when the key is turned to the start position. I would still think the starter would turn the motor over, even if the ECM wasn't getting power, since that's a separate thing.

You could aways run a power wire under the car and touch it to the appropriate terminals on the starter to test the solenoid kicking out the bendix, and then also the motor to spin the bendix. If neither happens, it's kinda unlikely the starter is bad since both taking a dive is quite a high probability. If one or the other works, then I'd say starter. Have you checked all the relays? Maybe swap the headlight relay for the starter? Also maybe put in a slightly (not much more) bigger fuse in the ECM IGNITION?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
Also maybe put in a slightly (not much more) bigger fuse in the ECM IGNITION?
isnt that a bad thing to do
Old 02-03-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m6ttop
isnt that a bad thing to do
Typically, yes, however everything has a tolerance and the fuse is set below that tolerance. Since if the fuse did allow a spike before blowing, it wouldn't fry whatever has a fuse. Example: If it's a 15amp, just use a 20amp. If it doesn't blow, then you know it's not a big problem, but if it pops right away, then something is up that's allowing quite a bit of amps through that shouldn't. If it holds I'd think maybe a poor ground somewhere?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the info man! im going to try the fuse thing today.. if nothing happens, ill just replace the starter
Old 02-04-2008, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

"You could aways run a power wire under the car and touch it to the appropriate terminals on the starter to test the solenoid kicking out the bendix, and then also the motor to spin the bendix"...

Now that's a bitch to do, the small tiny bolt on top of the starter is almost impossible to run a wire to it ESPECIALLY if the y pipe is connected, unless you have really really small hands to fit between then, replacing the starter with y pipe on is a bitch and we all know it but in ur case u have to do that way no matter what.
Running wires as formula 350 suggested is a very good idea, but my friend, it's a BITCH to do it . Do urself a favor bud, take that damn starter off it sounds like it's bad.
As for replacing the fuze as formula350 said, that's also a great idea, I have done that a couple of times with higher ones (Not too hight) and it never damaged anything so I second formula350 on that one as well.
Good luck man, please let us know when she's out of the hospital .
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Also, what's that mustang doing beside your camaro in the picture ....
Old 02-04-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

i checked the fuse.. it was blown in half lol.. i replaced it like 24 times (kept blowing) until one of them held up.. for a while. after 15min of driving, fuse blew again and car shut off. why is it doing this? it's the ECM IGNITION fuse.. would the wiring be grounding out somewhere? could the ecm itself be going bad? i had the car towed to my mechanic..
Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Red1996SS1519
Also, what's that mustang doing beside your camaro in the picture ....
lol.. friend of mines car.. its pretty sweet..
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Junkie

ttt please help
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Check all your grounds first, have you done that?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

yes sir
Old 02-06-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Clean the grounds on the side of your engine. These will cause starting issues. I don't know about the ECM though
Old 02-06-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah it wont start at all.. its a wiring issue.. that or the ecm is shorting out.. the ecm ignition fuse keeps blowing out the second i put the key in accessory
Old 02-07-2008, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1badzee
lol.. friend of mines car.. its pretty sweet..
Don't know if it's "Sweet" but that's ok ;-). It might be "Sweet" but when it's beside your Camaro it looks like **** (The mustang of course). I don't know what ford were thinking when they designed that body style for Mustangs back then. Don't mean to highjack your tread, just though to share my opinion bud. Did you find the problem yet?

Quick Reply: car not starting.. help please!