LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help with clutch decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with clutch decision

Well my stock clutch is a gonner after 79k miles so i want to upgrade. I just cant decide on which one to get. The only other mods im gonna be making anytime soon are LT headers, ORY, and a set of 3.73s. If anyone has any suggestions for a clutch that would work well with these mods and the mods in my sig i'm all ears (or eyes). thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ram HD or the cheaper Ram HDX. I had a Spec stg.2 before my Ram and it chattered like hell!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:53 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mcleod street twin.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Launching!

there are tons of good ones out there, i have a centerforce in mine, never had any problems our complaints.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I actually had the same question as mine needs a clutch as well. The thing that I have noticed is how expensive the kits are compared to mustangs / ls1's. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places? Certainly not trying to hi-jack, this info would prolly benefit the OP and myself.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Launching!

your eyes are not deceiving you, they are very high compared to other cars.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I vote for the Ram HDX or the RAM Powergrip if you plan on running drag radials at the track. The Street twin is overkill in this case. The reason the LT1 clutches are so expensive is because of the pull style pressure plate.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I pieced mine together, it has the lt4 pressure plate and a mcleod kevlar disk. i ordered the clutch kit with bearings from oreilly and i got the disk from thunder. pm me if u want the part numbers and more detail. virtually all single disk clutches use the same type of pp...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

I have a dual frection centerforce, I tried spec as well, I like centerforce a lot more, never had a problem with it. Mods are in my signature and the centerforce is holding up pretty damn good, unlike spec (In my opinion) centerforce feels alot more better pushing that clutch pedal. I vote for Centerforce.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Im currently looking at the centerforce and the ram powergrip. Im staying away from the street twin because i cant justify the price when im not pushing that much power. but if i had the $$$ id go street win to support future mods. Right now im looking at the $500 range.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I know some guys have had issues, but I have had great results with my SPEC. The stage II would work great for your mods and car, and would cost well under your $500 price range.

I currently have the SPEC stage III (not even the III+), and am running well over what the power rating is, even on slicks, I have not had any issues and it is holding up like a champ.

Like I said, some people claim to have had problems with their SPEC's, but I know they redesigned them a year or two ago, and I think they are top notch personally, and can't be beat, especially for the price.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Where's the best place to find the spec clutches? I haven't even given them a thought so it cant hurt to check em out. Especially if they're somewhat cheap.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

I can't remember exactly where I got mine. I think it was either Thunder Racing, or Tybrne Motorsports. If you try both of those (and maybe even Bob at EPP), I am sure between the 3 of them, you'll get the best price out there for it.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man i'll check them out.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ram HD/HDX aren't bad for a stock clutch replacement. They are rated for more power and are relatively cheap. I got mine from the ws6store-----> since at that time they had the best price.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So, how much money are we talking about for a new clutch that would work well in a mildly modded daily driver? My car has just over 100K and I'm sure it would benefit from a new clutch.

Is this something that a backyard mechanic could install without a great deal of hassle? My brother has an awesome set of tools.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BTC
So, how much money are we talking about for a new clutch that would work well in a mildly modded daily driver? My car has just over 100K and I'm sure it would benefit from a new clutch.

Is this something that a backyard mechanic could install without a great deal of hassle? My brother has an awesome set of tools.
All depends on what you want out of a clutch. You could probably just get a stock replacement from Autozone, however it won't be nearly as good as a Centerforce would be. To an extent, if you want a decent clutch, you'll need to spend some money

IMHO, SPEC clutches are the best for the money. Take my SPEC stage III for example. After shipping, I believe I paid around $500, and it is successfully holding up after abuse with slicks with my 614 RWHP. Most clutches that support that power level cost hundreds more. A SPEC stage II would work fine for most lightly to moderatly modded LT1's (should hold up to around 375 RWHP on slicks), and it would obviously cost even less than my stage III did.

As for the install, that depends on what you can do. It's not a big deal to most to change a clutch out, but to some it may be more than they know how to do properly in their back yard. That just depends on how mechanicly inclined you are.

One more thing to consider, is your flywheel. If you have one that hasn't been resurfaced yet, you might be able to get away with having it resurfaced when replacing the clutch. If its been resurfaced previously, or if you just want to be sure you have one that is good to go, you're going to need a new flywheel as well.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Actually, I don't drive my car every day anymore. In fact, I haven't driven it since the latter part of 2000. I got it out of storage a little over a year ago and started getting it up and running. It seems like it needed new everything. My brother and I have done all the work thus far. We're fairly mechanically inclined. We both grew up on a pretty big farm. If my car were a John Deere combine, we could probably put true duals on it.

I just know that my clutch is probably pretty tired, and I would like to replace it with something a little more stout than the stock clutch whenever the time comes. But I also don't want to get something that will make it a pain to drive. I'm not planning to build a race car. I just want something that's fun to drive. I'm not sure what kind of shape the flywheel is in. I'm the original owner of the car and I'm almost certain it's never been resurfaced.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Having a clutch that is too much for the mods you have on your car is not a good thing. I just replaced the clutch in my Formula with a heavy duty one for the mods I will be doing to it later this year, but right now performance wise, the car is mostly stock, and the new clutch (even now that its broke in) chatters a lot, and shakes the car when trying to put it in gear. When I get the go fast parts put in, it will be perfect, but right now, its not a good combo.

You want something for the power level you are at. I still say a SPEC II will fit your needs. SPEC clutches are known for their nearly stock feel, but ability to grab like a race clutch when used as one.

As for the flywheel, you'll just need to pull it out and see. Most transmission places can resurface them for you, and they will be able to tell if it will be able to be safely resurfaced or if you need a new one. Most can be resurfaced once. But if its in really bad shape, you might need a new one even if its never been resurfaced before.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Need help with clutch decision