LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
Hey Regarding the Turbo have you considered a Rear mount option? you could mount it somewhere in the back hatch. would require a little extra tubing, you could run the exaust right off the turbo with it being in the back, the intake piping would be the big issue. it would also provide some extra needed weight over the rear tires, and leave more room up front for things like a bigger radiator and intercooler, you will need it running massive boost.

I have seen it in huge 1000 plus hp setups where they use monster twin turbos.

I think it would simplify things, instead of trying to make room to fit it you now only have to figure out piping which is alot simpler. On a even brighter side the turbo will be away from the engine heat.
Honestly, I would never even consider a rear mount setup. The whole design of it is absolutely horrible. The only person you'll see running really quick on a rear mount setup is Paul Major clicking off 200+ mph trap speeds on radials. That is also a track car with about 10-12 inches of pipe running straight into an A2W intercooler, out of the intercooler, through the cabin, and into a rear facing TB.

When the turbo goes into the car there will be more than enough space. I have a BMR turbo K member for DP clearance and am going to run C6 / 6L manifolds so I can keep the AC. The front of the car from where the battery normally mounts forward is going to be removed and replace with CM tubing. I plan on running an extremely large verticle core A2A intercooler with a very short amount of cold side tubing.

At this point though it is all a really long ways off though. I am still in the process of trying to get my other car running and then it is getting this thing setup as a rolling / caged chassis.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any updates?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to dig this thing up, but holy **** this is one dramatic story. Two builds going at once...money being spent, money being owed. Being a fellow college-aged kid I really feel for ya when the budget is tight.

Someone should make a movie out of your story--its too heartbreaking and full of tragedy mixed with moments of hope for it to not make money.

You should update the FS thread and I'll see if I can buy something that helps a 'Tech brother out.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by transamsam98
any updates?
Work wise I haven't done anything to the car as of recent. I have been saving all of my money to get my Formula running once again. That is my main priority.

Originally Posted by Nacho SS
I hate to dig this thing up, but holy **** this is one dramatic story. Two builds going at once...money being spent, money being owed. Being a fellow college-aged kid I really feel for ya when the budget is tight.

Someone should make a movie out of your story--its too heartbreaking and full of tragedy mixed with moments of hope for it to not make money.

You should update the FS thread and I'll see if I can buy something that helps a 'Tech brother out.
I was doing fine with the two project thing when I had my old job and a steady income. Losing my job and not having any source of income for three months completely screwed me over. I had to sell pretty much every main car part that I owed simply to be able to buy food, pay rent, utilities, and insurance. I attribute that as the main cause as to why my projects just stalled.

I'm not trying to whine or anything, but I've dealt with a lot of things most people don't go through. I will say some of it is my fault, but I have the worst luck ever, and sometimes **** happens. My friends always joke about what horrible event is going to happen next.

The most recent event that has happened is that my friend is closing his shop. This is the shop where I've worked on my car throughout this whole thread. I am not sure if it is a good or a bad thing yet. It will make working on my car much easier in the sense that I will only have to walk down stairs if I want to do anything, but I also don't have a lot of tools to do the things I need to do.

I do have an angle grinder, dremel, and electric drill though so the weight reduction will continue. I've found a ton of really good ideas recently. I will document them as I complete them. I am aiming to have my Formula running in the next three months or so. I still need to do some number crunching. After that it is onto getting this car setup as a rolling chassis. This car will run at some point, but I can say that it is going to be quite a while from now.

My next big project is removing that wall in my garage that I've constantly referred to as annoying. I'm sure there is a picture of it here in this thread. I am bringing this car (93) and my Formula home on Thursday so I need room to store them. The annoying wall turns my normal two car garage into barely being able to hold one. I should get started on the wall removal tomorrow before I head into work. The holidays will stall me some, but I have a lot I need to get done.

I am indeed working on a new parts for sale list. This should be the last one that I am going to have because I am going pretty much all out on this one and getting rid of all of the things that I don't really need.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Here is the new items for sale thread that I just put together. There is a ton of stuff in there.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...l#post12651072

I also started emptying out my garage last night. I have to work tonight, but tomorrow will be day one of actually smashing the wall. I also have to call UHaul about renting a trailer for the day. I can't forget to do that.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

This isn't much of an update in direct regards to the car. It is an update though because this is going to be the new home for my car for the next few months / years, or so. I finally got that wall I constantly refer to annoying out of my garage.

Here's what I started with:

I shocked the **** out of myself just simply grabbing it. That prompted me to very quickly shut off all of the electricity:

Garbage pile:

No more carpet:

Pretty much finished. I just have to finish hanging / moving the electrical outlet:

I broke all of these by standing on them. I'm 155 lbs and it took some effort:

Smashing the wall only took around 2 hours. Cleaning it up took forever. I managed to get rid of all of the dry wall and carpet the same night. I took 7 trips down to the dumpster on my skateboard. I filled up that trash can and then put it on my skateboard. I'd then ride it down the street and dump all of the crap in the dumpster. All I have left to do is vaccuum the last of the dust and throw away all of the broken studs.

Now, it is like a completely different garage. I have so much more extra space and it is so much brighter in there. I also found a, "helper" who said she would paint my garage for me as long as I helped... The funny part is I did all of this without informing my land lord. Oh well... I am looking at it as I just improved the property value by making the garage hold two cars instead of barely being able to contain one.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

hey do you got any pics of the whole door skin and what you cut out and where..im going to trim mine an was showed this thread but some of your pics are no longer up..
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

I'm bored. . . . any updates? Weathers getting nice enough.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
hey do you got any pics of the whole door skin and what you cut out and where..im going to trim mine an was showed this thread but some of your pics are no longer up..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/9213734-post134.html

Check that post out. If you need more pictures I can take them for you when I get home around the beginning of next week.

Originally Posted by Duffster
I'm bored. . . . any updates? Weathers getting nice enough.
Yes, the cars are home now. I had some unfortunate timing on events. The day before I had the cars towed home some asshat decided they were going to throw a brick through the windshield of this car.

I just kind of stuck it in the garage and haven't messed with it too much. I did change the hatch struts out for an extra pair I had in the garage that still worked. The old ones that were in there actually were so old they broke in two pieces when I went to open the hatch and leaked this nasty greenish / yellow fluid out all over the place.

I need to go through the car and take inventory on the parts that I actually have. I know I am missing my dash, AC box, center console, and all of the bolts that hold them together. I know at some point I am just going to have to end up buying another parts car for a few hundred dollars to be able to put everything back together. Because of that and my lack of space I am just waiting on things.

My goal now is just to finish my Formula and get it running again. When I come back from my trip I am going to be taking one last inventory and ordering everything I need to put that back together. The nice thing is that after that I should still have some money left over. With that money I am going to be ordering some tools for my garage and getting started on working on this car again.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks..between your pics and the pic some one posted for me in the drag racing section i got a killer idea of how to cut them and what parts to leave..
Old 03-22-2010, 01:25 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ No problem. If you need help on weight reduction I have it pretty much covered. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Mockup stage coming soon. Until then:

New item for sale thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...nsion-bmr.html

Support the build and buy some good parts at great prices.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I know this isn't much of an update, but it is something. I've been working on saving my money, planning everything for my Formula, and ordering all of the parts I need. I finally started mass ordering parts for my Formula today and spent around $3600... ouch.

I did manage to find one thing a little while ago that I couldn't pass up on. The unit that I bought was the original one that I saw that gave me part of the idea for my fuel system. The original owner sold it to another guy that I bought it off of for quite a bit less than it was originally sold for. Here's the description:

- 3 new Racetronix Walbro 255 lph pumps.
- 3 new Ford Racing large filter socks
- Custom tig welded hanger and hat
-10 feed bulkhead fitting
-8 return bulkhead fitting
- Custom ported and hard anodized 3 into 1 shower head distribution block
- Flexible SAE submersible efi hose
- Each pump has it own dedicated 12 gauge feed and ground wires
- Fuel gauge sending unit.

I have this calculated out to be enough fuel using a .60 BSF and 80% of the pump capacity to being able to support a lot of power:

- Walbro 255lph in tank pump
220lph @ 58psi @ 12 volts / 260lph @ 58psi @ 14 volts
260lph = 68.69 Gallons
Gas = 6.2 lb / gal
260lph / 68.69 gallons = 425.88 lb / hr
80% = SAFE = 567.84 fwhp using .60 BSFC (lb / hr x 80%) / BSFC
482.67rwhp / 2x Pumps = 965.34rwhp / 3 Pumps = 1448.01rwhp using 15% drivetrain loss

I am also going to run the pumps at 43.5 psi to jack the rating up on them even further. The injectors I plan on using are a 200 lb / hr high impedance injector rated at 43.5psi. It should be enough to completely fuel the car on transition from pump to C16 fuel set on kill mode.

The rest of the fuel system will be really straight forward. This will all be done on the stock PCM and will be good for up to 26 psi aka more power than I can put down with the engine that'll be in it reliably. I don't want to spill all of the beans on it just yet as I'd like to be the first person to set this up, but I have spoken with a few people including manufacturers and I know it'll work.

I'm actually pretty excited to be start working on gathering parts for this thing. Once my Formula is done it is once again back to working on this car and I've got a lot of different ideas that'll be coming out for everyone to see.

EDIT: Forgot the pictures, but imageshack and photobucket are being gay so you only get one for now. I also bought a new laptop today that is getting shipped to me now so fighting with my current one shouldn't be as much of an issue.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 05-13-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Support the builds and get parts at a great price at the same time:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...parts-etc.html
Old 06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Here is another slight update. Every once in a while I find a part of two that I can't pass on and have to buy it. Kind of like the fuel pumps last time. Well, I found another recently for an absolutely retarded deal. I am on a super tight budget for my Formula, but had to buy this. It is a moser 9 inch housing and torque arm mount, narrowed 5.5 inches per side, solid anti roll bar, wheelie bar mounts, narrowed LCA / PHR mounts, and has a back brace. I was really planning on getting a MWCP 9 inch housing for this car and probably will eventually, but this was too good of a deal to pass on.

I picked it up yesterday from the Fedex freight depo across town and of course picked it up in my 95. I simply took the passenger seat out and set it in there. The guy driving the fork lift actually drove over to a truck parked next to my car to load it in the back and I told him that I have the camaro. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Good luck. That's not going to work." I put it in there in about 15 seconds and made him eat his words.

Pictures of it at home:

The thing is pretty heavy despite having a lot trimmed off of each side. I am going to cut the wheelie bar mounts and spring mounts (I'll be using a coilover) off to shave a little weight. I'm also going to look for a different kind of torque arm mount. I saw one a while ago that was laser cut 4130 and if I remember correctly it weighed a lot less than the cast iron Moser piece. Anyone seen anything like that before?

I'm going to paint it gloss black with a couple cans of Rustoleum paint I have sitting in my garage. I'll do that and the 10 bolt in my Formula at the same time. I'll get a rough weight on it using the bathroom scale I have and then another weight after I do some trimming on it.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I've come to the realization that this car will never be done and / or cost me a small fortune to finish and many years of work. It will be for sale soon as a rolling chassis. In the mean time everything parts wise for this car is for sale.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...tion-sale.html

Going down to 2 cars will make my life way easier.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

DUDE!!! WTF! If you sell this car, I am driving down there and kicking you in the nuts! Ive been waiting for over a year to see this finished!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Black94Z28
DUDE!!! WTF! If you sell this car, I am driving down there and kicking you in the nuts! Ive been waiting for over a year to see this finished!
I honestly don't know if anyone will buy it. Realistically it is going to cost me $30k to have a rolling chassis with a complete interior, fuel system, and wiring. That doesn't include the engine, transmission, converter, or turbo setup. I've even thought about doing it a few different ways. If it never sells it'll just sit in my garage until I have money to make it into a really nice DD setup.

I can't even fathom having that amount of expendable income at this point in time. I have and will be putting around 25k into my Formula and that has taken me over three years now. I can't afford two cars like this. I could, but it would take me another 10 years to get it as a rolling chassis. If I sell everything from this car I can use all of the money to have my Formula finished minus one large item.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Testing the waters. The 93 is now for sale.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-c...l#post13951905
Old 12-31-2010, 04:24 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

New items for sale thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...l#post14301250

Support the build and get some parts at a great price.

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project