LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My New 1993 Z28 Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
Now that is commitment! Very cool of your buddy to help you out like that on the interior
Yeah, It's a little over 80 miles round trip. Yeah, I offered to pay him something for them, but he said he didn't want anything for them. Really cool!

Originally Posted by MagnaTransAm0098
never even realized you live in FL Im in PA and its a bitch...were the air bags good in the car? I thought if you spin the wheel to much it will break the clock spring?
Yeah, the airbags are good. The thing was the wheel wasn't connected into the steering anymore. I had taken the section that connects the steering wheel to the rack out to get the header out. We'll see if it broke anything, but I doubt it.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 3-4-08 Progress

I got to head down to the shop today, but no where near as early as I would have liked. My friend called me and told me his radiator had blown up. We left school at the same time and he didn't call me till 50 minutes later. The radiator has a tiny leak in it when it's hot. He hadn't put water in the thing forever. It boiled the fluid and then came out of the overflow. Ended up wasting about an hour and a half of my time. Then, once I got there it started pouring like it always does when I got to work on my car. The nice thing today was we pushed it under the awning so I didn't get drenched this time!

I started by getting the egr fitting on the back of the intake back on. The first time I tried to block it off by pinching the stock tube and welding it in. The problem was I left a pin hole in it because I suck at welding. This time I cut the old weld off, knocked the tube out, cut it vertically, flattened it out, cut it to size, and welded it to cover the hole. I tried to weld it, but the first time I was all over the place. Mike gave me a few pointers and tacked the ends so I could try again. I did a much better job, but ended up burning a decent sized hole in it so I let him take over. Here's what it came out looking like (You can see my big hole on the right side):

We weren't sure if it was going to seel correcty without the tube in there so we dug through the drawer of gaskets and lucked upon an EGR one. It wasn't the exact size, but we made it work.

Next step was fixing the steering snafu I caused last time. It took a lot of whacking and aligning to get it to work right, but it's bolted back in place. I'm not 100% sure if the steering wheel is going to be straight, but we'll see once I get the thing running. The first thing I'm going to do once it moves is get it aligned.

I then moved on to relocating the fuel lines. I had to cut that giant section of flex tubing off because for some odd reason mine had no split in it. I got the tubing and grommet out. I stopped at the cut a new hole in the fender as it was already about 5:45 and had to head home.

I'll be heading down on Thursday to finish up the last few things I have to do. All I have left to do in the engine bay is finish the fuel lines, !ABS, and fix the freeze plug. Then, it's on to gutting the interior and attacking the wiring harness. Thusday I'll be finishing the fuel lines, ordering a proportioning valve, and fixing the leaky freeze plug.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Weight update:

Front Bumper Support = 25.375 lbs
Fog lights and brackets = 4.0625 lbs
Cruise control, cable, and throttle cable cover = 4.4375 lbs
Air pump and brass fittings = 5.9375 lbs
Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Stupid siren and loud horn = 2.5 lbs
Stock Y pipe and single cat = 21.1875 lbs
Frame horns = 5.125 lbs
Fender metal = 1.25 lbs

Grand total = 50.5625

I still have the ABS block and all the wiring for the stuff I took out to add to the under hood list. I think the turbo stuff is going to offset everything I've removed from the engine bay though. I'll be going bonkers on the interior to combat that. If I can get it to 3300lbs with me in it I'll be exstatic.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, its cool to see how things come togther. keep the pics coming.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Thanks, I've been trying to take pictures of everything. My dad stole the camera yesterday so I ended up having to use my phone again.

I also forgot to add the windshield washer resevoir to the list of weight I've taken out, but I don't know how much it weighs.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
^ Thanks, I've been trying to take pictures of everything. My dad stole the camera yesterday so I ended up having to use my phone again.

I also forgot to add the windshield washer resevoir to the list of weight I've taken out, but I don't know how much it weighs.
I too, have been following your progress. Nice job and yes, please keep the pics coming. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Addict

Nice job!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Hey bro...if you needed a camera just tell me. I have my 8.0 mega pix HP camera that I never have a chance to use ever. I am still running with you Friday.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
I too, have been following your progress. Nice job and yes, please keep the pics coming. Thanks.
Thanks! I got the camera back today so I took a lot of pictures.

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Nice job!
Thanks, that means a lot since this is really the first project of this caliber I've ever attempted! I get a lot of insight on how to do things from Jason and Mike. They'll tell me how to do something, I dig into it, and make it work.

Originally Posted by SSFreak
Hey bro...if you needed a camera just tell me. I have my 8.0 mega pix HP camera that I never have a chance to use ever. I am still running with you Friday.
I have to work tomorrow.... I got scammed some how and have to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Bob randomly takes the camera with him to school. I had it that day, but came home after school because of Max's, "radiator explosion" and he repossed it.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 03-06-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Default 3-6-08 Progress

I got a real early start on working on my car today. I had a test in my first class and my second one was cancelled. The only thing that took forever was trying to find a grommet and freeze plug the right size. I went two different places and got the largest grommet I could find at Napa. I lucked out on the freeze plug and Jason had one in his secret stash.

I started off by finishing rerouting my fuel lines. I didn't think it would be that difficult, but it became a pain in the *** as I continued to break drill bits. I'm writing everything down now that I break so I can buy new ones for Jason. I tried the cordless drill, but it didn't have enough oomph to cut through. I then had to run the air hose over everything in the shop and under my car to get it to reach. I used an 11/16 holesaw and a grommet at Napa that was the largest one they had. I ended up having to cut the grommet to get it over all the lines, but it works.

Where I cut the hole in the fender area:

Here's how my lines ended up mounting in the inner fender:

Here's the lines pulled around the brake booster. I don't know if other years have the same fuel setup as the 93s, but my return (not sure if that's what it is) ended up being way longer than the rest:

Here's what the lines look like currently at the grommet area:

This is what it looks like now all finished:

Since my return(???) was longer here's how I ended up routing it to keep it out of sight and kink free. I had to wind the plastic part through all sorts of other tubing to get it to point that way:

After that I got extremely sick of this stupid alarm thing that one of the previous owners had put it the car. It's the one with the stupid sirens and horns so I decided to take it out. I ended up having to drill one of the screws out because it was rusted in place:

I ended up having to cut a couple of the wires because they were wrapped in the main harness. Can anyone tell me if these yellow connectors are factory or part of the alarm system? You can see the two wires that are taped together that I cut slightly above and to the left of the two yellow things.

After chucking the wiring out of the way I decided to attack the freeze plug. I hadn't gone under the car before so I figured it was behind the passenger's side motor mount like the guy I got it from told me. I didn't realize that when he said behind he meant underneath. Luckily Jason had an extra LT1 block in the shop and showed me how it mounted. He told me to just wait on messing with it till we get it up on the lift.

I still had about two hours and the car up on the jack so I decided to start taking things out from underneath. I plan on running a 4 inch downpipe that dumps before the rear axle. I decided to remove the heat shields and take out the stock exhaust. Removing the stock exhaust ended up being an amazing amount of work. I had to break loose all sorts of corroded bolts and cut the exhaust in three seperate places to get it out. Luckily, I cut it rather strategically and the way one of the back bends works out it will probably work as a downpipe for the S10 at the shop that is getting a 5.3 and a turbo. Here's a link to that project: http://lsxextreme.com/showthread.php?p=588#post588

I just snapped this picture because this is how the car has been sitting since I took the front bumper off.

Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so I won't get to work on it again until Tuesday. I completely forgot to order the proportioning valve, so I'll do that then. On Tuesday I'm just going to remove a few extranious exhaust hangers and heat shields from underneath the car. Then, it's on to gutting the inside and getting rid of the messed up interior. I'm going to try and weigh some of the stuff I took out of the car and get the weight removal list updated.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 03-06-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work so far, remove that damn a/c unit and some of that **** and there is some weight..
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by BsGreenZ
nice work so far, remove that damn a/c unit and some of that **** and there is some weight..
Haha, never! The ac is definetly not coming out even though I know it weighs a lot and would make rounting the turbo stuff much easier. Florida is hot as hell 95% of the year. My first 3 cars didn't have ac. It wasn't that bad, but after having a heat stroke in one of them I've decided if I drive it a lot on the streets it's going to have ac.

EDIT: Actually, when I move onto the interior I'll be removing the heater. There's some weight there and I've only used mine twice in the past 3-4 years.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Thanks! I got the camera back today so I took a lot of pictures.

I have to work tomorrow.... I got scammed some how and have to work Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Bob randomly takes the camera with him to school. I had it that day, but came home after school because of Max's, "radiator explosion" and he repossed it.
Damn It!!!!! I was looking forward to getting alot of work done today...I guess we will have to plan another day then. Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Teching In

You better not have to work next time out!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ Negatory. I have to work Saturday and Sunday though so we're good to go.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Teching In

^ Negatory. I have to work Saturday and Sunday though so we're good to go.
Yes!!!! We are going!!!!!!! Thank **** heads!!! Its my break for the week.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

sweet project. turbo lt1's are definately rare. looks like someone threw up in the back seat though haha
Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by MTBSully
sweet project. turbo lt1's are definately rare. looks like someone threw up in the back seat though haha
Yes, but that problem has now been fixed. I headed down to Jason's last Tuesday to start gutting the car. I got a little distracted by one super sweet car that stopped by for some tuning. It was a 1957 Chevy with a 540 BBC, Turbo 400, and a 4 link. It layed down 623RWHP and 498 Torque in third gear. I was majorly impressed and it was easily the loudest car I've ever seen. My right ear hurt for the rest of the day and the next day too.

The only thing that sucked was the fact that my dad had my camera. Here's the only picture I got of it that turned out well:

My friend and I headed down there today to work on the car. We continued ripping out the interior and getting rid of a whole bunch of crap. We finished getting the car gutted. We're going to finish cutting out a whole bunch of brackets on Thursday and get the weights of them. I have to order carpet tonight along with a few other random things. Here's the progress pictures of the interior:

Here's what it looked like with the seats taken out of it:

When we were ripping out the carpet I found one of the previous owners had discovered the ultimate way of mounting aftermarket speakers in the car:

Here's what it looked like once we got all the nasty carpet out:

Notice my sweet hatch holder upper:

Rear of the car with no interior:

Does anyone know what that black box behind the driver's side rear seat is? It has a little barcode on it.

As we were going we started collecting a huge pile of trash. This is all the random stuff I found crammed under the seats or in weird spots. There was a paycheck for the wife who's name is Alexandria who worked at Babies R' Us and the husband. The husband had a pawn sheet for a .380 handgun, a 9mm Taurus handgun, two gold chains, and a gold charm for a whopping $176 after pawn fees.

Giant Trash Pile:

We also made a huge decision with the car. We're going to drop the turbo idea and get rid of the LT1. Instead of having a weak little engine we're going to throw this in there:

Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I also tried to get some weight updates, but it was really difficult weighing the stock carpet with the scale we had. I put it in a trash can and set the trash can on top of the scale. The problem was the scale was too small and the trash can wouldn't evenly distribute the weight. Which resulted in me having to hold the trash can up to get a scewed reading. I know it weighs more than what I got out of it, but here's the complete weight reduction list to this point:

Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Frame horns = 5.125 lbs
Fender metal = 1.25 lbs
Rear Seatbelts = 4.1375 lbs
Aftermarket Speaker Wiring (will be added to considering there is a ton more of it) = .25 lbs
Carpet = 29.0375 lbs

Windshield washer fluid resevoir with water = Have to weigh
Interior brackets including (rear seat brackets, rear passenger arm rests, antenna bracket, rear seat belt brackets) = Have to weigh
Stock catback = Have to weigh
Heat shields beneath the car = Have to weigh
Soon to be useless exhaust hangers = Have to weigh
EDIT: Forgot the rear seats too = Have to weigh

Grand total to this point = 105.175 lbs + all the stuff I still have to either cut out or weigh.

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 03-19-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I got a late start today arriving at three, but decided two or so hours of work was better than none. I drug all the stuff out of the interior and set it on the side. I vacuumed out the floor to get rid of all the random leaves that had blown in there, but while I was I noticed some rust starting to pop up.

Here's the worst of it:

Other spot I grinded down:

Most of the rust sealed:

The car loaded back up again. This is a major pain in the ***:

I hit it with an angle grinder as best as I could and sealed it with some rust inhibitor. I had to trim that black rubber mat with the foam beneath it to get to the rust. I noticed the chunk I cut out was pretty heavy. I've heard of people trimming it out before, but does anyone know how much it weighs?

I also got to weigh a few extra things while I was down there today and was pleasantly suprised:

Stock horns = 1.875 lbs
Frame horns = 5.125 lbs
Fender metal = 1.25 lbs
Rear Seatbelts = 4.1375 lbs
Aftermarket Speaker Wiring (will be added to considering there is a ton more of it) = .25 lbs
Carpet = 29.0375 lbs
Windshield washer fluid resevoir with water = 8.0625 lbs
Heat shields beneath the car = 2.1875
Soon to be useless exhaust hangers = 2.00 lbs
Rear Seats = 22.4375 lbs

Interior brackets including (rear seat brackets, rear passenger arm rests, antenna bracket, rear seat belt brackets) = Have to weigh
Stock catback = Have to weigh
Speakers = Have to weigh

Grand total to this point = 139.8625 lbs + all the stuff I still have to either cut out or weigh.

I'm going to head down relatively early tomorrow and try to get the all the interior brackets chopped off. I'm going to order my ozite tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to try and take my turbo to get rebuilt and order my fuel system. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to set it up. I'd like to do it to where I won't have to worry about it ever again. Even if I go forged with more cubes and a larger turbo. I'm thinking a -10 feed, -6 return, 2 walbro 255lphs, hobs switch, boost referenced FPR, modified stock rails with AN fittings, and 60lb/hour injectors. Keep in mind I'm going to be running alcohol too so I want this to be able to support that. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should set up my fuel system or any good spots to order stuff from?

Quick Reply: My New 1993 Z28 Project