LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

-24 Below Zero!! Did the Z28 Fire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
So there I was.... Hungry with only a Z28 to drive that has been sitting for the past two weeks. At first I think to myself "How can this be"? Normally I have at least a few customers cars to drive or the truck, but not today.

I looked at the 6 inches of frozen snow covering the hood and body, and with a grumble of my stomach I grabbed the broom and started knocking it off. Only problem was the snow had sat there for two weeks and had frozen up quite well. Finally get all the snow off the front of the car and scrape the windshield. Moving to the back of the car I check the drag radials to ensure there is proper pressure, mind you there is snow and ice on the road.

I go to unlock the door and the damn key wont unlock it. Go around to the passengers door but not without slipping on some black ice behind the car and falling flat on my ***. Jumped up real quick like nothing happened and made sure no one was looking. It was almost 2am and I was safe, no on-lookers. Get the door unlocked and almost rip the door handle off trying to get the door to open. Once it opened it made this god awful roar like a 10 inch spike getting pried from a stack of 2X4's. I then put my knee on a frozen solid seat from where the T-Tops apparently must have leaked. Have to fidget with the lock on the drivers door and give it the ole linebacker shoulder to get it open.

By now I am so cold I could not feel my face. Finally get the key in the ignition and vroooom! Fired right up! The starter did not flinch or crank slow. Just a quick spin and she was running. I was impressed. While I have seen so many cars die the past few days the ole' Z did not leave me stranded and hungry at work. Driving to get food proved to be rather scary. The frozen chassis made some sounds I would rather not describe but it got me there and my belly is full.
lol you made us feel like we were there right next to you haha
Old 02-11-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
+1, screw that cold crap. It was 70+ here today.

The only time I've, "seen" snow was December of 1989 and I was under 1 years old. It snowed here and they shut the whole town down. All the bridges, roads, and the airport were closed because nobody in Florida knows how to drive in the snow.
so like.. im confused, is there alot of accidents or something ? I can't imagine not knowing how to drive in the winter or ever seeing snow / winter
but then again .... ive lived in michigan all my life.
I like it tho, gives you a few months to kick back put the carhartt suit on with thermals underneath and mod the F out of ur lt1 haha
Old 02-11-2008, 10:48 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro_built7
so like.. im confused, is there alot of accidents or something ? I can't imagine not knowing how to drive in the winter or ever seeing snow / winter
but then again .... ive lived in michigan all my life.
I like it tho, gives you a few months to kick back put the carhartt suit on with thermals underneath and mod the F out of ur lt1 haha
I actually googled snow in Florida and here's what popped up. This should pretty much describe it perfectly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nts_in_Florida

Of note:
December 23, 1989 – Light rain in Jacksonville turns to freezing rain as temperatures drop, and later changes to snow. The snow totals several inches in some locations, and results in the first White Christmas in the city's history.

Basically that's the only time in recorded history it's ever snowed here.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

you should try some Kansas weather... couple weeks ago it was 70 and sunny and the next morning it was about 5*F with 2" of snow and 30mph wind. that's why we all live where we do though (for the weather).

as for the Z last winter it would fire before you could turn the key all the way (had some piston slap on any day under 20*). however, my experience has been the colder the better when it came to starting. but this year it has a different tune and it starts a little hard (about 2seconds of cranking).
Old 02-11-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by moge11
I never get used to the cold. Damn Illinois weather. One day its 5 and the next 3 days it 45. And then its 5 for the next 3 days again.
I'm with you bro, can't stand goofy ILL. weather either!!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

mi weather its like -30 with wind chill

hate it cant wait till summer
Old 02-12-2008, 03:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate007
Normally I have at least a few customers cars to drive...
Thus, the reason why I do not leave my car anywhere near a shop...
Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Thus, the reason why I do not leave my car anywhere near a shop...
Thus, the reason I became a mechanic!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Well its yet another late night at work and I am hungry once more. While its much warmer tonight (+16 degres out) it seems my hopes of getting a nice warm bag of fast food are spoiled! Not because the Z28 wont start, but because I am just too damn tired to go thru all that crap again!

Looks like I will have to dig out a TV dinner from the freezer. I hate when that happens!

Mind you this photo was taken less than 48 hours from the time my first one was taken.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

^ that is just wrong, haha
Old 02-13-2008, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

I would have to say this next photo is "Just Wrong"

What can I say...... 4th meal was calling! lol

I didnt even realize until I got on the road that the headlights would not shine thru the snow! Some parts of the road were not lit and I was driving in complete darkness! Its times like these that remind me why my other car has wipers on the headlamps!
Old 02-13-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Veteran

To be on the safe sie you guys need some electric dip stcks. Makes a motor fire up like its 80 degrees out regardless of how cold it gets and is way beter on the motor.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

You guys should come up and visit Winnipeg, Mb. Can. we have been getting days as cold as -40 to -58 deg. Fahrenheit up here lol.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

^ No thanks. I'm fine with 60-70 and sunny.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How the hell did you get the Camaro out in drag radials?! If there is more than an inch or two on the ground my TA won't go ANYWHERE on Nankang NS2 street tires...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Well it all comes down to a few things, 1st is HUNGER and 2nd is the fact that I am a little crazy. Tonight I am going to order out before it gets too late, thanks for reminding me!

I figured a full slick would just be asking for trouble.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean I am too much of a ***** to drive it, I meant it literally will do nothing but spin and take me 10 minutes to get out of my flat driveway!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spiers
I don't mean I am too much of a ***** to drive it, I meant it literally will do nothing but spin and take me 10 minutes to get out of my flat driveway!
They must not get a lot of snow down there in MO do they? You just got to sort of ease it. Manuals help also. If it gets to be over a foot your best not to even risk it because you will get stuck.

Here where I am at they clear the roads very fast. It would take 1-3 feet within a 5 hour span to start shutting things down. You could have a mustang pull up next to you at a stop light with a totally dry road (white mind you) but a foot of snow on the curbs. You know what happens next.

One more AWSOME thing is that COLD AIR is DENSE AIR. On really cold days you dont even need nitrous, its amazing how hard your car will pull on sub zero days. You have to actually tame yourself because 100 comes up so fast. On single digit days its almost like having a sneaky-pete on constant tap. But everything else about the cold sucks.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I miss my highschool days in PA cutting doughnuts with the 3rd gen in empty snow-filled parking lots. Ah, and the always unexpected crap-your-pants slides through stop signs/lights from ice you didn't know was there.... Or stopping on a hill in traffic and then trying to move again (in ice)..... dem were the days! hehe... Hats off to anyone with a RWD 300hp+ driving in the snow and ice without loosing it! I think if I had to live up there again, I would definitely have me a 4WD beater for the winter months.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadhog_113
You guys should come up and visit Winnipeg, Mb. Can. we have been getting days as cold as -40 to -58 deg. Fahrenheit up here lol.
Dude......wtf. If thats me up there, I quit!

Its been 70-75 around here lately

Quick Reply: -24 Below Zero!! Did the Z28 Fire?