LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header opinions for my LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by koolcarguy01
Dude- like a said???? I woulda got long tubes if i wasnt being stupid at the time. K?
no prob. It just sounded like you were saying "i payed a lot of money for shorties, but it was a good product, so it was worth it". And I didn't really get that logic. sorry if i misinterpreted.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
-Mac mids have been proven to only be a 5 horsepower loss on the dyno compared to longtubes which is negotiable since dynos can vary by that much

-I can change my sparkplugs in 15 minutes...all from the top

-Ground clearance is the best

-Come coated and look good

-Mids WILL pass any emissions since they don't relocate the cat

(97badass thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated!)
+1 for Mac Mids.. After hearing horror story after horror story of the long tubes hitting those big "city *******" and causing all sorts of problems, I decided to go with the Mac mids. I have them installed on my 95 Pontiac Formula LT1. I also had them Professionally ceramic coated by a company called Performance Coating Specialties, in Arlington, Texas.

A -5 HP loss compared to the long tubes is VERY acceptable for me. They look great and sound great and should help me pass my emmisions testing. In addition, the stock cat was swapped out for a Random Technologies Hi-Flo cat and I went the SLP's Loudmouth (with the adapter pipe).. I sold off those little SLP exhaust tips in lieu of two 5" monster exhaust tips that were also ceramic coated by Performance Coating Specialties.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Oh no ****? lol Ive never had a problem with em. Where do yours leak from?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh no ****? lol Ive never had a problem with em. Where do yours leak from?
I can't track it down. I think it's from the AIR fitting. Or, it could be at one of the exhaust ports, since the coating has come off from them being on there for so long and there's a little rust. Or, it could be a blown gasket, from a missing header bolt. I just can't seem to find it. I'll inspect them more after I take them off, to see. But, I think True Duals sound better on LT1's anyways, so I wanted LT's and TD's. Especially since it's rather cheap to get an x-pipe.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

And you have true duals? What was the power difference between a standart cat back and true duals?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And you have true duals? What was the power difference between a standart cat back and true duals?
I don't have true duals yet. I'm waiting on the headers to get here. Should be tomorrow, hopefully. Then, I'm going to order some single chamber mufflers this week. And I hope to get the x-pipe all fabbed up in a couple weeks. Right now, I've just got the TES headers, cutout in place of the cat, and stock piping back to a Flowmaster 80 series.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tspence45
I don't have true duals yet. I'm waiting on the headers to get here. Should be tomorrow, hopefully. Then, I'm going to order some single chamber mufflers this week. And I hope to get the x-pipe all fabbed up in a couple weeks. Right now, I've just got the TES headers, cutout in place of the cat, and stock piping back to a Flowmaster 80 series.
What single chamber mufflers are you looking at getting? I am trying to decide myself, because I am going Pacesetter ceramic LTs to a TD with an X. I have been looking all over for some sound clips on the internet, and can't really find any. I looked at ls1sounds, and well, they are mostly LS1 sounds, go figure. Found some really POOR quality youtube and livewire clips, and they really are no help. I am really looking for that deep rumble. That and I don't have to worry about CATS, since I have a 95 and in IL (I'm in the military and still an IL resident), 95s and prior do not have to have CATS.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I've been asking everyone the same question, about brand. All I've been recommened are the Pacesetter Ceramic Coated (LTs). They're supposed to sound great with the Flowmaster Catback that I have.

Quick Reply: Header opinions for my LT1