LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coated or un-coated PS LTs ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coated or un-coated PS LTs ?

I was going to get the un-coated LT PS headers for 287.00, but wanted to know if i should just get the coated ones, who here are running the regular ones? how are they holding up? The guy at Jegs told me they did a back too back test on the 2, the coated netted 7 RWHP over the un-coated, impressive, but they are 150.00 more, my budget was going to be 450.00 (sending back the wheels), so i was thinking of a ory pipe too, but if the coated's are "hands down" the way to go, i will just do that, just wanted some imput on guys running the un-coated's & there feed back.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2008, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Go coated, will look better unlike non which will eventually look rusted, keep underhood temps down (not bad for plug wires), and worth the money.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Coated, no contest.

-Rick
Old 03-28-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

COATED, You'll regret the un-coated ones. If not at first, once they get rusty you will.
James
Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the PS LTs come with the drivers side being a 2 piece? Will i be fighting the install with a 1 piece LT on the drivers side, or will lifting the engine help clear the steering shaft? I will lift the whole car as high as possible & rest it on stands, then lift the front higher with a large floor jack at the crossmember.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

The Pacesetter LT's are one piece design. As stated before, go coated. You will regret not going with coated later down the road. The easiest way is to just remove the steering shaft. It is not hard to do and makes for plenty of clearance. Get the car as high as possible without sacrificing safety.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I also say go coated simply because of the rusting part. In all honesty I have had no problems what so ever with my uncoated pacesetters related to them having no coating. The fact that they rub my steering shaft with poly motor mounts and that they have emission fittings are the only things I really dislike about them. The rusting part I dont care about because it makes it look more like a sleeper if ya got some rusted *** headers, hehe
Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Yup, go coated. I ordered the non-coated because it was cheeper, then realized (after coming to the forum) I was doing a big mistake. I sent them back and had them send me the coated LT's.

I had to pay for shipping on the return because I opened the box and was about to install them. Do it right the first time.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

BELIEVE ME. this is something you DO NOT !!!! DO NOT!! want to do again for a very long time. go coated or you will regret it in every way. extra 100$ is well worth it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

I keep hearing the word regret...what do you guys that have bought uncoated regret? Regret is for women and pussies! Hehe j/k Anyways what seems to be the problem? Sure I read about the rusting and more underhood temps but if its not a problem on a daily driver that has been driven for hours at a time then whats the big deal? Just wondering what you guys are baseing this info on. I just said go coated in my first post because I thought it would make me cool j/k
Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Really if you stay out of moisture when driving you may never get rust on your un-coated LT's which is probably the biggest downside to them. Also if you don't drive it during the winter you'd want to start it pretty frequently to avoid moisture/carbon buildup in your pipes.

An option if you absolutely cannot afford coated could also be to get some VHT Flameproof coating and coat them with that before getting them on your car.

It is my understanding that the coating helps a few things. Rust of course but also with containing heat, keeping underhood temps lower and also with looks. I wouldn't be surprised if there was other benefits but I can't think of 'em off the top of my head.

Good luck with your purchase, I recommend going with coated if not for the sole reason of getting it done properly the first time, which will maximize the gains you can expect from your car once it starts hitting a more intense level.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

i just put uncoated.On it maiden voyage it smelled like barbeque and all the black paint is gone.lol.I'll be upgrading to an LS engine in a year or so, so im not worried about the rust.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by m6ttop
i just put uncoated.On it maiden voyage it smelled like barbeque and all the black paint is gone.lol.I'll be upgrading to an LS engine in a year or so, so im not worried about the rust.
How hard was the installation? what all did you have to do? I'm thinking i'll go coated just because of the 7rwhp dyno #s over un-coated (back to back testing) so i was told, & less heat under the hood, i'm as cheap as they come , i've always run un-coated headers in the past, so maybe this time i'll do different.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

Coated!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Do any Pacesetter guys ever buy uncoated and have them coated by someone like JetHot? I've read lots of posts that seem to indicate Pacesetter's Armor coating leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
COATED, You'll regret the un-coated ones. If not at first, once they get rusty you will.
James
Just get stainless and be done with it
Old 03-29-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went with the pacesetters because i was more worried about going fast and not worried about looking good. just dont use the stock gaskets. mine blew out last week and you dont want to have to change them.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
i went with the pacesetters because i was more worried about going fast and not worried about looking good. just dont use the stock gaskets. mine blew out last week and you dont want to have to change them.
I'm kind-of with you on this one, i'm not putting on headers to look pretty either, just want more HP , i heard on another site that the coated ones can sometimes chip or even rust through, like i said in my earlier post, i've ALWAYS run plain ole' headers & never had issues with rust (unless they sit outside in high dew point areas), my last Truck i owned had 5 yr. old hookers without a drop of rust, but it stayed mainly indoors, just like this Camaro will be doing, the main thing about the coated that drew my attention was the gain of 7 rwhp over the un-coated ones in a back to back test, BUT, who did this testing, & is it valid, i've always gained good power going with headers, as long as you choice wizely, like anything else though, so i might just get the plane jane PS LTs, i'm sure in a year from now, they won't be rusty, most likely longer.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mines been on for 6 months and have no rust (yet).
Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by caldercay
Just get stainless and be done with it
Or Stainless Steel Headers Too!
Didn't even think about it to be honest. Thanks
Stainless is by far the Best!