LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i need your help!! Please read give me any ideas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need your help!! Please read give me any ideas!!!

OK if you don't know i have an lt1/t56. The problem keeps coming back and i have no clue what the hell it is. First i was told i had a batch of bad gas! so i burned it all out and i mean BURNT..lol i never got on the fc this hard before in my life! I let the temp get up to 210 and then beat on it. and the problem went away. I took the car out for a nice day out with the wife and i filled up with 93 from shell. drove fine the whole day. we went shopping had dinner went to a movie no problems.

Now its evening and its a lot cooler and then the motor started doing it again! Bucking and jerking like it wants to go but nothing. Now here is what i am thinking and what i was told by some vette owners. The problem seems to only happen on cooler times, like in the high 50's to low 60's. If its hot out and the temp stays above 180 it doesn't do it. When its cooler out and the car is closer to 160 it does it a lot. So i was told that i am running the motor way to cool. So today i am picking up a 180 instead of the 160 that i have in it now.

One vette owner told me "its your TPS" now this is coming from a guy who owns an 88 vette and says "yeah we have the same motor mine is an lt1" when you go and look at it its a TPI motor. I asked another vette owner how has a 93 vette and he is the one who told me about my temp being to cool for the motor that likes to run hot.

What do you guys think? I ran my codes via my pc and data cable and the only codes i have are one for the auto tranny. So i need your help its pissing me off and i have no clue what else to do. I was wondering if it was my MAF or air temp sensor? again it only does it when i step on the gas, and when the motor is cool. i can go home right now and start it up and it will start fine. i let it warm up to 160 and i don't notice it but if i step on it hard it seems like it is doing it. PLEASE HELP ME !!

ok i was playing around with it and i found the trouble codes here is what i have:
82 shift a solenoid fault
83 tcc control feedback faul
84 3-2 downshift feedback fault
11 malf indicator lamp (mil) fault
code 77 fan 1 fault
code 78 fan 2 faul
code 14 coolant temp high

now for code 82 83 84 those are all auto tranny codes right? if so i will take those off with tuner cat. now code 77 and 78 is because i am manually controling my fan inside the car
now for code 11 and code 14 i have no clue how to fix those codes. can anyone give me a hand?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a bad ECT sensor. When most GMs have an ECT go bad the injectors turn into shower heads, they just start running extremely rich to the point they foul out the plugs. I would try a ECT. There are 2, one is for the cluster and one is for the PCM, the one for the PCM is in the waterpump. If you have a scanner that can see the temp for the PCM compare it to the actual coolant temp, if its way off then that's your problem.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeperMULLET
Sounds like you have a bad ECT sensor. When most GMs have an ECT go bad the injectors turn into shower heads, they just start running extremely rich to the point they foul out the plugs. I would try a ECT. There are 2, one is for the cluster and one is for the PCM, the one for the PCM is in the waterpump. If you have a scanner that can see the temp for the PCM compare it to the actual coolant temp, if its way off then that's your problem.
ditto.....what he said!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

i only turn my fans on when the temp gets up close to 210 and i turn it off when it gets down to 180ish. but i am scared that its something that i can't fix. i was thinking about changing my ect sensors but i have my gauge hooked up to the one on the head not on the water pump. do you think its my opti? or my coil?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Launching!

i have fuel pressure take a look see
off

power on

motor running!

as for the filter i am going to take that off tomorrow and see if i can open it up i ordered a fuel pump a while back and i can't remember if i can just change the filter inside or if i have to order a whole new one. and i am going to the auto store and get a new threm and run it back at 180.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Launching!

ok logged into my pcm today and checked the codes. i logged in with tuner cat and turned off the auto tranny stuff. and then i cleared off the temp sensor. took the sensor off the and cleaned it and put it back in. started it up and it was ok then it started doing it again. i checked for trouble codes and now it reads no codes at all! now i have no clue what to do!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

thats what happens when u put a v8 in a fc.j/k
Old 06-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

^..lol don't hate! its because i went with an lt1 instead of an ls1!! i am now planning on getting an ls1
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cleaning the coolant temp sensor (for the computer) won't help anything since it's an internal of it's copper housing. Just replace it, it's only $8. The one in the head doesn't send one bit of info the PCM, goes directly to the gauge in the dash.

While our motors do run just as well hot as cold, I think it's more of a sensor problem.

And it has nothing to do with it being an LT1 vs LS1 -_-
Old 06-18-2008, 08:40 AM
Launching!

yeah i have an extra sensor i am going to swap that out today and see what happens. as for the ls1 vs lt1 back when i did the swap i didn't have the money for an ls1 now i do
Old 06-18-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

spend 8.00 on a new sensor.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Launching!

help me find the sensor for 8 dollars. i just checked advance auto and it was 45 bucks! if you have one for 8 bucks let me know if not i am going to swap out the one i have for the other one from my other water pump
Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Launching!

ok went to the autostore on the way home and found it for 13 bucks much better then 45! so i am installing it in like 15 mins and see what happens!
Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

i f'n love you guys!!! OMG i would of never thought!! i put in the new ECT sensor cleared the codes took it out for a nice long spin and what was perfect was its 60 something out and a little misty like the other night when it started happening, and not once! it didn't do it at all! i am a happy fat fool right now!! thank you guys!! fyi my fuel filter was spotless! i have one that i can open up and look at the filter and it was clear and free. also my plugs where a nice brown color burning perfectly! all this crap and it was that one sensor! i love you guys!!!

Quick Reply: i need your help!! Please read give me any ideas!!!