LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Inductions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have dyno numbers for my car. Here is a slip though.
Though full exhaust, 1 5/8" midlength headers, 2.5" exhaust and muffers, mechanical waterpump, street tires in front, 150 miles from home. 15-16K miles on the package, means RELIABLE too.

I posted about Alek's because there are dyno charts showing substantial torque from a "high rpm" 355 which by conventional wisdom would not make good lowend. You are right that he is reving beyond what the stock pcm can accomodate and even so it makes good torque.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitebird
1. this should be locked before it erupts into another flamewar

2. this has been argued/discussed countless times.

3. Both can do great work and have had proven results

4. Ideal choice depends on your setup/goals/budget/priorities

5. Neither one is "better", each has their supporters and detractors
Agree'd 110%!

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I don't have dyno numbers for my car. Here is a slip though.
Though full exhaust, 1 5/8" midlength headers, 2.5" exhaust and muffers, mechanical waterpump, street tires in front, 150 miles from home. 15-16K miles on the package, means RELIABLE too.

I posted about Alek's because there are dyno charts showing substantial torque from a "high rpm" 355 which by conventional wisdom would not make good lowend. You are right that he is reving beyond what the stock pcm can accomodate and even so it makes good torque.
DAMN that thing is slow! When you going to lighten it up some!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS RRR
All you've done is throw this out with nothing to back your claim. How is this possible for cylinder heads alone to "make less torque/gain top end hp" running a larger head with no cam change? Can you explain why an engine "will make less torque..."?
IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL BRO!!!! My claim to back this up is a phone call to comp... and a bit of common sense! DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PICK A FIGHT!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by IllusionalTA
No velocity
BINGO! Aperently I'm not the only rocket scientist in the room! I'm glad it makes sense to someone other than myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:42 AM
TECH Regular

Non-constructive postremoved by moderator.

Last edited by JasonShort; 06-27-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Look at Alek's results on Advanced Induction's "results" page. Tell me that 355 is lacking torque. From memory 385 at 3400rpms and peaks at 418 somewhere up around 5100, peak HP is up about 6800-7000 and at the track he revs it to 7500rpms. That is a big wide useable powerband, making more torque than a lot of strokers, making good torque low and still having a high rpm capable motor.

A lot of the "this is the way it will be" comments like the lack of torque and such are based on information gathered from the average poor combo.
That is a tall power band. The problem is that you have to buy a $1500 engine management system cause the stock one cuts off at 7000 or 7100...That dont make sense for the O.P. now does it? In this whole mess, how many people asked what the original posters intentions were for his car? This is why we get nowhere but a pissing match.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Regular

I would love to hear what Lloyd or someone from A.I. have to say on this topic....BTW sorry it took a billion posts for me to finish venting.....I hate these threads.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
That is a tall power band. The problem is that you have to buy a $1500 engine management system cause the stock one cuts off at 7000 or 7100...That dont make sense for the O.P. now does it?
My setup was designed for the factory ECU, and makes peak power at 7,000 rpm.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL BRO!!!! My claim to back this up is a phone call to comp... and a bit of common sense! DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU PICK A FIGHT!
Wow. This isn't a fight. No need to get all emotional and bent.
I need to back up here and clarify my position. We may be on the wrong page:
200cc will loose some torque in the stock 350 disp., but should flow enough for a 383. any power adders? blower?
What I took from that is you meaning you would loose torque going from stock heads to ported heads "IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL BRO!!!"
If the above is what you're getting at, where you'd loose torque over a stock head then you are as wrong as the day is long. However if you are comparing a 190 to 200 with torque then yes I can see how there would be a slight loss, but honestly I highly doubt it is even worth mentioning. And you can't be serious about putting in a call to "comp?" I've dealt w/ enough of those clownshoes to know their only requirement is that they've watched romper room a few times in their life. You call them, get someone they'll tell you their opinion on the matter. You call back, get another clown and what you just heard from previous clown will be completely different and contradictory from present clown. It's just not a smart thing to reference anything from phone clown jockeys at "comp."

Originally Posted by slingshot928
I think the best way to show people is to post your setup with either a graph from the dyno, or a time slip
More timeslip than dyno, but I agree.

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-27-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by SS Aleks
My setup was designed for the factory ECU, and makes peak power at 7,000 rpm.
My tuner tried to talk me into taking my engine past 7200 to see how much power would be lost. My power peaks at 6800, but drops off very little to 7200. He was saying something along the lines that even though the injectors go "static" he could still throw in some sort of fuel table to keep the engine safe and happy.
I bitched out.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Llody

My car makes 440rwhp and 425 rwtq NA with his help.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Both good products IMHO
Old 06-27-2008, 12:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Best advice is to give both a call and see what they can do for you after going over your budget and goals. I am sure they are swamped with work as well but give a day or so to respond and see what each company says.

You'll be happy either way and as long as you have the complimenting parts both suggest and do not shoot youself in the foot with dirty MAF, leaking elbow between TB and MAF, rockers too tight, exhaust leaks, not degreeing cam, not checking PR length, poor computer tune, etc, etc then you will have a car that makes real good power.

If you shoot yourself in the foot and waste HP with the things mentioned and/or do not have all the complimenting parts suggested, you can have a set of Larry Meaux heads and big solid roller but not make any power. It is all in the combination from air filter to tail pipe as well as everything in between.

As long as you have a car that can 60 ft real well and a descent race weight, you will have good track times as well.

Lloyd Elliott
972-617-5671
Elliottsportworks.com
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lloyd nailed it...so many local guys are running mid 9's in the 1.8 with their lt1 with mods done to them...they keep asking me why...i see ripped elbows...full exhaust systems and stock intakes...huge injectors and stock tuning, cooling fans that dont worrk and cars overheating....and they wonder why their cars are slow...

your car will be a ton faster with all the supporting mods and no big mods(heads.bottom end) than a car with a fully built motor/stock tranny rear and exhaust
all my cars start with racetronix kit, full good flowing cold air and full exhaust with all poly motor and tranny mounts and ewp before anything else
Old 06-28-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica
Wrong.... THERE IS NO 23° head that can outflow the downstroke of the piston in a 350 cube motor. There are real cylinder heads that do... and that's why in those more airflow does not equal more power reguardless of what the internet gurus tell you.

I think you misunderstand pumping losses and engine physics.

Jes

Really? This chassis dyno sheet is a 383 LT1, heads have a 250CC port and are 23*. Numbers are through a 9 inch rear end with a detroit locker, 4.10 gear and a 4L60E on pumpgas and 2 wounded pistons. WIth 325/50 drag radials out back.

This combo with a six speed, 3.42 geared 12 bolt would make 500+ rwhp and who knows what for torque.

So you are telling me with a smaller head I will make more power and torque?

My 250CC intake port peaks at 6300 rpm with a solid roller cam...how did that happen?

So you are saying a 350 is gonna make "X" amount of power no matter what head is on it?

If this is the case why does SSALEKS make so much more power than a GM 350 crate engine?

Or did I completely miss the boat here?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-28-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give your business to the sponsor
Old 06-28-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like me a feisty gurl!
I don't know what you mean about "some heads that do..." but that's neither here nor there. What I do know is that when you compare a 190 to 200cc head you WILL NOT experience torque loss of any kind.
So if you are correct, both will make the same torque curve and therefore make the same horsepower curve. Perhaps that is not what you meant. Gee, I hope not.

I suggest that there may be more difference in torque production from the shape of the ports than from the size. That being said, on a 350 a well-done port that is larger than even the 200 you mentioned will outproduce a 180. That is based on observed results, not a gut feeling. The key isn't the port volume but it's efficiency at doing its job.

If you had difficulty understanding what the "gurl" said, you may have been distracted by the avatar. My take was that "real heads" for a SBC are not 23° valve angle style. If you consider SB2.2 heads and their ability to move wind, that might help you understand. Or not.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

Wow. This isn't a fight. No need to get all emotional and bent.
I need to back up here and clarify my position. We may be on the wrong page:

What I took from that is you meaning you would loose torque going from stock heads to ported heads "IF ALL ELSE IS EQUAL BRO!!!"
If the above is what you're getting at, where you'd loose torque over a stock head then you are as wrong as the day is long. However if you are comparing a 190 to 200 with torque then yes I can see how there would be a slight loss, but honestly I highly doubt it is even worth mentioning. And you can't be serious about putting in a call to "comp?" I've dealt w/ enough of those clownshoes to know their only requirement is that they've watched romper room a few times in their life. You call them, get someone they'll tell you their opinion on the matter. You call back, get another clown and what you just heard from previous clown will be completely different and contradictory from present clown. It's just not a smart thing to reference anything from phone clown jockeys at "comp."

More timeslip than dyno, but I agree.

OK, I understand where you misunderstood what I said. I agree completely that just about any aftermarket head at 200cc will outflow the factory heads. What I meant was that a smaller head has the potential to make a little more low end grunt than a larger head that was designed to flow larger cilynders at higher r's. The guy who built my buddies blower ls1 engine kept the heads on the smaller side so the torque curve was nice and flat. The bottom line for the O.P. is that he needs to call the companies he is considering, and figure out who offers the best package for his goals.....Sorry if I went off a little.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think to fully fill a 350 cyl u'll need upward of 400cfm. Which i don't think any 23* head is capable of.. at least that's what a lil bug in my ear told. me..
Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
So if you are correct, both will make the same torque curve and therefore make the same horsepower curve. Perhaps that is not what you meant. Gee, I hope not.
Not at all. After thinking about it for a few I now believe there may be a slight loss in torque because of a larger intake runner, but nothing that would be significant between a 180, 190 or 200.
I suggest that there may be more difference in torque production from the shape of the ports than from the size. That being said, on a 350 a well-done port that is larger than even the 200 you mentioned will outproduce a 180. That is based on observed results, not a gut feeling. The key isn't the port volume but it's efficiency at doing its job.
Let's dissect this statement a little here:
That being said, on a 350 a well-done port that is larger than even the 200 you mentioned will outproduce a 180.
So what you're saying is a larger volume runner "will outproduce..." a smaller one.
Okay... Now that's profound. Why is this significant? I'd like to know what you mean by "outproduce"?
As for the rest of it, perhaps what you are describing could start touching on the subject of volumetric efficiency... Wikipedia it if you're having trouble understanding. Not to disagree with your reasoning, but where are these "observed results" you type of. Oh. I forgot. Who am I kidding?
If you had difficulty understanding what the "gurl" said, you may have been distracted by the avatar. My take was that "real heads" for a SBC are not 23° valve angle style. If you consider SB2.2 heads and their ability to move wind, that might help you understand. Or not.
I was wanting her to be more specific in her "other heads" comment. I'd much rather read it coming from her than from the King of Wikipedia.
Seriously I'm really baffled by any of the above because what you've stated really has no significance? I guess you can try being more specific?

Last edited by SS RRR; 06-29-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Inductions