LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 w/ Eaton M112 supercharged!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yah Ive been following NSXLT1's build on another site for quite some time.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds better than an 03 Cobra.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

First, I gotta say, nice WAMU ad on the LS1tech website. WHOO-HOO! I guess it pays the bills....

About this car. Nice setup, great attention to details. he's hitting 423 HP at the wheels. Pretty good with all that torque at 2K.

HOWEVER, I would assume it's on a basically stock motor with that cam. We've seen guys here make this or better with a H/C/I package on all engine. Was it worth going through all this for "only" 423/425?

I would think that this type of a setup should be on a motor that's purpose built to make the power a blown motor should. Like open it up to a 383 and get some big valves. Stock valves and springs on a blown motor is just asking for trouble. My bud Long Island Joe's blown "66 Impala is running like 10's with a blown 383, I'm certain he's up around 7-800 HP. He picked up a ton when he had the valve springs setup for blower pressure.

This guy has some interesting goals, looking to get to 600HP with a phase 2 setup. It'll be interesting to watch.

I'll tell ya, all that torque down low don't suck. My Monte engine made 592 ft/lb at 2,250 RPM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tbird31
I was on another forum that I am on regularly and this man posted up a link to his builds site. I followed the link and looked at it, THIS IS AWESOME! I have ALWAYS wanted to see a LT1 with a roots style blower.

Here's the link: http://www.corneltechweb.com/

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about doing something along these lines? Or if there's any other system out there that is similar to this.

His video is awesome...granted just a fly by...but that's awesome!
That thing is sick!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbird31
I know that Alvin at PCM4Less used to have a T-Trim on his Formula, but I didn't know that someone had a roots style...this is so awesome...

Come by travis, I still have it in the parts room
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

god i love the sound of that whine....always wanted that coming from under the hood of my car!!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

What is involved in making/modding that intake manifold?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM
bbk
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys thanks for all the complements. I thought I would post a link to the original post on this site and the second post updated. There are answers to some of your questions there. (Quote)"Stock valves and springs on a blown motor is just asking for trouble." I have comp 918 beehive springs. The real factor is my cam is wasting boost with 7 degrees of overlap. If you check out the spec card on my site you can read the conclusions. There is more potential for this setup, and I would like to see mustang dyno results with correct calibration of a LT1 showing only a H/C/I combination with 400ft/lbs @2000 rpm. Dynojet #'s are always higher. Most people have other mods other than straight bolt on's.
Here are the previous links:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...917&highlight=
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...518&highlight=
Old 08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Teching In

I was wondering why you put the bypass air on the back side of the throttle body instead of in front of it? To me this does not bleed off the air, just moves it to the cold side to recompressed, but not really reducing air volume.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM
bbk
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rx8ss
I was wondering why you put the bypass air on the back side of the throttle body instead of in front of it? To me this does not bleed off the air, just moves it to the cold side to recompressed, but not really reducing air volume.
This is the same way that the SVT Cobras are plumbed. This will recirculate bypass air without disturbing the MAF. The TVS and Eaton M112/M122 have this plumbed internally in the case of the blower the same way. This Jaguar blower didn't have a bypass so I provided it.
The bypass circuit is working well!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Id definitly buy into a kit if it were made. I want that supercharger whine so bad...plus you know, the added horsepower is nice also
Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

BBK, what would you say your estimated cost is so far on this setup? The whine is just sexy, I could only imagine the look if you lined up with a Termi and they heard the same racket.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Did I read that correctly that you are only running 7 psi? If so, that is pretty good for what you are doing. Why are you sparying the meth though? What is your compression ratio? The eatons (90s anyway) will not need anything to cool them down at that boost level and I assume the M112s will not either. What are your IATs at the intake? Not tryin to bash what you have done, I just want to know for my own knowldege. If you want to see something sic, check out SCCoA (yeah...its a Ford site). There is a guy there with his 2 ton brick running 10s with a v-6, IRS, and a lot of other mods. It is WAY louder than yours but is running more boost out of a 1.7 Autorotor.

Chris
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

I want one. I'd want a KB setup on mine though. Then, there'd be an even bigger whine. Keep up the good work. I'd definately be interested if a kit was made for the LT1.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I pulled this video back up to show a friend. Looking on ebay, you can get these superchargers dirt cheap used that were pulled from Cobras. I'm curious about making a manifold to fit that. If I knew how to or knew someone that could machine the manifold for me and make it all fit. I'd be looking into this myself seeing as the price for a used stock pulled blower is nicely priced.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
First, I gotta say, nice WAMU ad on the LS1tech website. WHOO-HOO! I guess it pays the bills....

About this car. Nice setup, great attention to details. he's hitting 423 HP at the wheels. Pretty good with all that torque at 2K.

HOWEVER, I would assume it's on a basically stock motor with that cam. We've seen guys here make this or better with a H/C/I package on all engine. Was it worth going through all this for "only" 423/425?

I would think that this type of a setup should be on a motor that's purpose built to make the power a blown motor should. Like open it up to a 383 and get some big valves. Stock valves and springs on a blown motor is just asking for trouble. My bud Long Island Joe's blown "66 Impala is running like 10's with a blown 383, I'm certain he's up around 7-800 HP. He picked up a ton when he had the valve springs setup for blower pressure.

This guy has some interesting goals, looking to get to 600HP with a phase 2 setup. It'll be interesting to watch.

I'll tell ya, all that torque down low don't suck. My Monte engine made 592 ft/lb at 2,250 RPM.

read your post again and i think you will find that you answered your own question, its pretty much stock on pretty low boost. im sure if the heads were lightly ported and a blower cam was added along with some forged internals and a small pullie he could easily be in the 600rwhp range.

plus what do cobra's usually make? and they have more effiecient chargers too the KB's. i hear about them making around 440rwhp with a pullie swap and exhaust IIRC. so i'd say this LT1 is right on par. and with a built motor for the blower im sure it could see some much higher numbers.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

^^^
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

and i actually just read the build sheet per say on the first mentioned site and it seems it has light porting and valve train components ment to handle boost, just no blower cam, or higher boost. im sure if he went higher boost and mild blower cam it could be a beastly little guy, plus he also have a very good point about the car having its max torque at 2k rpms! thats nuts and with the right suspension setup im sure this car could 60' with the best of them and fly out of the hole all the way thru the traps.

Quick Reply: LT1 w/ Eaton M112 supercharged!