LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car's running a little hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car's running a little hot

Since I've had the car, it's always ran right around the 185* mark, whether I'm in town, letting it just sit and idle, or on the highway. A little over a month ago, I noticed it starting to creep higher and it would sit at the 210 mark and occasionally go a tad bit over. It started to freak me out, so I got a 160* t-stat. The car still does it. But, the weird thing is, if I take it out on the highway, and come back to town and just drive around, or let it sit, it'll stay right around 170-180, and never go any higher. But, if I turn it off from there, then turn it back on and just drive around town, it'll go back up to the 210 mark. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its just getting barely above 210 while idling and driving in town, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I thought the fans kicked in at 215 or somewhere around there. I'm sure that's all it is.

If it really bothers you, just wire the fans to be turned on and off manually. That should do the trick.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

I'm guessing that when I get my tune, it'll be fine, since I'm getting the fans tuned for the 160* t-stat. The only reason I'm even really worrying, is because it never did it before. I'm just used to it running around 185 or so. One day when it was running just a tad over 210, it had a little bit of a stutter when I gave it about half throttle too, so that kind of scared me also.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Launching!

I would imagine its just taking a little more stop and go driving to get it up to 210. Shouldn't hurt anything at that temperature. Its a good excuse to go ahead and get the tune, especially if you're getting a little piece of mind with the deal. That little stuff like that will keep you up at night, lol.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Plus, after the tune you will really enjoy seeing your gauge stay nice and low

Especially since we now know you watch it like a hawk, just like you should be.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

I'm waiting a little bit for the tune. I want to get my 1.7RR's on before. That way I won't have to tune it, then get it retuned a week or two later. Otherwise, I'd have a new tuned PCM on the way from MadZ28 right now.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Plus, after the tune you will really enjoy seeing your gauge stay nice and low

Especially since we now know you watch it like a hawk, just like you should be.
lol. Yeah, I try and spot any problems pretty quick so I can prolong the life of the engine. But, hey, if it goes, that's just a reason to build a badass motor for it. I already decided that if the motor goes, I'll go straight to the bank to take out a loan and build a nice 383 setup with a big lopey cam in it. lol. I normally wouldn't take out a loan to do something like that, but I don't have any other payments other than my insurance and credit card bill. The car's already paid for.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tspence45
lol. Yeah, I try and spot any problems pretty quick so I can prolong the life of the engine. But, hey, if it goes, that's just a reason to build a badass motor for it. I already decided that if the motor goes, I'll go straight to the bank to take out a loan and build a nice 383 setup with a big lopey cam in it. lol. I normally wouldn't take out a loan to do something like that, but I don't have any other payments other than my insurance and credit card bill. The car's already paid for.
Thats the spirit, but I am not encouraging you to put yourself in debt

Good plans though, your going to have to live with the fact that if you beat it... It will give up the ghost someday.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

Well, the car was running way too hot tonight. I took it to the track and it was sitting at 210 the whole time I was in line and would go up around 220. I did pretty shitty, with a couple 2.5 60's and a 2.6. On my 2nd 2.5, I ran a 14.3 and it was cutting out near the end from the computer retarding timing from it running too hot. The temp gauge was at 235 when I crossed the line. I need to quit being a ***** and just launch the damn thing. I was scared for the life of the 10 bolt. lol. I almost killed it on my first launch.

Quick Reply: Car's running a little hot