LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 into '68 Camaro ####Wiring Help#####

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 into '68 Camaro ####Wiring Help#####

I'm trying to put a '96 LT1 with T56 into my '68 Camaro. I have the engine harness, but no fuse box. I also have the factory service manuals, but I need some guidance. I'm a total novice with wiring. Not sure how to decipher the schematics and know what I really need. I would like to reprogram out the emissions controls as well. Suggestions?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a wiring novice, I strongly suggest you buy an aftermarket harness to make your life easy. It would be a few hundred well spent & possibly save countless days of research & troubleshooting.

Otherwise start cutting wires.
Once you find all the appropriate grounds, power feeds & switched power, you can individually fuse these. Then start adding relays for the fans, pumps etc. After a reprogram to disable the antitheft & all the unnecessary emissions, you will be well on your way.

I would like some feedback on getting the t-56 in the trans tunnel if you could possibly share. I'm sure there will be a lot of cutting.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or just hit the junk yard and pull the dash harness out, which you'd need anyways to plug into the PCM (at least I'm pretty sure you do).
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

No you do not need the dash harness.

Like Lonnie said, you would probably be best off to buy a harness first time around. I bought one from Painless when I did the LT1 swap in my truck. I learned a good bit going through that and if I do it again I am confident that I would be able to use a factory harness. If you want to look into buying a harness, talk to Street & Performance (http://www.hotrodlane.cc/) They make a nicer harness than Painless.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto
No you do not need the dash harness.

Like Lonnie said, you would probably be best off to buy a harness first time around. I bought one from Painless when I did the LT1 swap in my truck. I learned a good bit going through that and if I do it again I am confident that I would be able to use a factory harness. If you want to look into buying a harness, talk to Street & Performance (http://www.hotrodlane.cc/) They make a nicer harness than Painless.
I was thinking only my 93's computer was under the hood and 95-02 PCMs were under dash ALA 3rd gen.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iam pretty sure 93 up+ most chevys have the pcm under the hood..as far as the fusebox..man your best bet would be to find a fusebox out of another car or like said just get an aftermarket harness...when i put my lt1 in i pulled all wiring and everthing in between the headlights to the tailights....there is alloooot of wires and only a few colors..
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I put a 1997 Lt1 in a 71 chevelle. Just buy a new harness from Street and Performance. They will give you step by step instructions. I pulled all the emmission controls off my motor and put headers on it. I would change the opti, plugs, and whatever else before you put the motor in. With a S&P harness you will still need to keep the opti pig tail from the old harness. When you get a tune on the computer be sure to delete the VATS module. They go bad on the S&P harness pretty quick.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM
8 Second Club

I think Sean Gustin used the Street & Performance LT1 harness for his 69 Camaro. Worked great. I would go that route if I were you.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default re

I went with a speartech harness for my lt1/4l60 swap in my 67 and havent had any problems definately recommend.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

You really dont need a aftermarket harness ,I have a 95 lt1 in my 87 madza rx7 , There are 5 plugs that connect the engine harness to the chassie/body harness .The site is something like shtbox.com or something like that it breaks down all the connectors and shows where they go , it only takes about 8 whires to get the engine to run .
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Teching In

here is the site http://www.shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html
Old 09-03-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive got all the answers here....call speartech and have them rework your harness with a new fuse block...they will work it straight up for your car..if ever dealing with wiring seriously let me know....speartech is honestly one of the best places around for ls and lt harnesses
Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quikws6
I went with a speartech harness for my lt1/4l60 swap in my 67 and havent had any problems definately recommend.

this guy right here went the right way...and if you hve a harness they will rework for a lot cheaper than what they will charge for a brand new one..just as good too
Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jarretthise
ive got all the answers here....call speartech and have them rework your harness with a new fuse block...they will work it straight up for your car..if ever dealing with wiring seriously let me know....speartech is honestly one of the best places around for ls and lt harnesses
I used Speartech for my swap like 7 years ago. Told them what I wanted and they reworked my harness. I had only 3 or 4 wires to hook up!
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

I did mine in my Car.. the LT1 is pretty simple as well. It's just lining up the Switched Powers, Grounds, and the Gauges really..
Old 09-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Talking speartech

I also had speartech re-wire my factory harness (96 LT1 in a 72 elcamino). They removed what I wanted (emissions, security) and sent the harness back with everything marked. SWEET!
They also have pre-made harnesses if you choose to go that way.
John Spears is a great guy and will treat you right.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

Default Wiring

This cant be that hard speartech wants $700 to reprogram the pcm and rework the factory harness per their website. I cant afford that! On lt1swap.com he gives the min to get the engine running. What I get lost on is where do these wires connect. One says C210 pin C, ORANGE - battery feed to PCM, 10 amp fused. You would think it either goes to the batt or pcm but it comes from the engine harness which is connected to the pcm and batt. I have this wire in hand but am lost where it goes if anyone can help the site is http://www.lt1swap.com/93lt1a4.htm scroll half way down and you will see min to get car running! Thanks. I would love to buy a new harness or have mine reworked but I cannot afford it.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you really want to do it cheaper and new, just get a Painless harness for $310~!!

I still stick by re-working a factory harness.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 195 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by durrettcustoms
What I get lost on is where do these wires connect. One says C210 pin C, ORANGE - battery feed to PCM, 10 amp fused.
What that means is that wire is Orange, comes from the 10A Fuse Circuit in the Fuse Box, is a constant-power wire off of the Battery, and goes to the PCM. Look in the Fuse Box and find the PCM Fuse, that is that circuit. C-210 is the 4-Pin Black Rectangular Connector with the Purple Starter Wire on it.

That stuff isn't that hard, I wired my LSX into my Car, and they wanted $1000 for the wiring harness built to do that. I'm not knocking on Speartech's or anyone else's work, but I'm not paying a fckn G for something that can be done at the house.

I looked at everything you posted a link to, I can tell you exactly where everyone of them needs to go and how to do it, feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: LT1 into '68 Camaro ####Wiring Help#####