LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Summit vs. BBK TB, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Summit vs. BBK TB, whats the difference?

OK, I found a Summit 58mm TB for sale brand new for $200, BBK runs $300-350. Whats the difference? I'm leary of buying a cheap TB if it's really "cheap", not just less expensive. Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

why are you wanting to buy a new throttle body?

cause your sig says your all stock, there are much better more efficient ways of making power as im sure tons of people will be in here in a minute saying a 58mm TB is not needed until you get a large cam or heads and cam package.

so if youre thinking it would be a cheap peformance mod, it honestly wouldnt and you might even lose a little hp going to a bigger TB if you have a completely stock car.

you need to first concentrate on getting the spent gases out of your car before you try to add more fuel and air to make power.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with pnyklr, however i doubt there is much difference in the actual part, from what i could tell summit's stuff is actually somebody else's with thier name on it.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TABBED 5.3
i agree with pnyklr, however i doubt there is much difference in the actual part, from what i could tell summit's stuff is actually somebody else's with thier name on it.
thanks, and i also agree that there is much a difference in the actual part, summit doesn't do a *whole* lot of cheapy stuff, im sure they do have some, but i'd doubt the TB would be one.

just my .02 cents
Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Future upgrades are going to be an AI 200cc package. I am in the process of gathering ALL the parts BEFORE doing any 1 mod. Thanks for the advice though. Didn't plan on buying one and wacking it on a stock motor, just wanted to know why 1 is $200 and the other is $350 before I throw down the coin. So, does anyone have any experience with the Summit TB?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From a quick 'back and forth' between the pics, doesn't look like much is different. Some SMALL external casting differences, but that isn't really something to mention. $330 for the BBK though, and I'm sure you're paying for the name is all. I'm glad mine has the old "BBK" logo though, which is lacking "Power Plus"
Old 09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Them Holly TBs sure look nice but $$$$$
Some of the TBs are crappy. Im not sure but I think the brothers or something makes it for summit and those are crappy. Maybe its Jegs but anyway all TBs are NOT created equally. Some come with TPSs others dont, some dont idle well either and need the drill mod. Stay with a name brand designed for an LT1 Not a universal one.
Im in the market too so lookig forward to seeing what the boys have to say.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

I have had a Holley 58mm, they are pretty but some points of interest:
1) None of the custom plates fit the top.
2) They can open beyond Full Throttle and cause a problem (I did not have an issue but another member whom I trust told me about it when we traded his BBK for my Holley) however some have a plate to stop it and have a write up on how to do it. It can cause a CEL if the problem exists.
3) If you even just have small supporting mods you will lose power. I had a full LT4 build, Heads, IM, Cam with porting and I lost power as well as got some fun throttle delays (Hit the gas and it did not move then suddenly did... TPS needed to be set for the Holley to fix it).

I really did like it, everything needs minor work but there's some info.

The BBK I have required a mod to idle correctly which it already had thankfully.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

I had the BBK on my last 97 formula. I had to do something to make it perfect but
damn it, I forgot what it was. Maybe adjust the tps???.
ASM also looks nice. Any problems with that one?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I had the BBK on my last 97 formula. I had to do something to make it perfect but
damn it, I forgot what it was. Maybe adjust the tps???.
ASM also looks nice. Any problems with that one?
Drill out the IAC, or drill the holes in the throttle blades bigger are the 2 common either/or mods that have to be done.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a BBK 52mm.... no problems at all.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 AM
11 Second Club

I've been running a Summit 58MM TB for two years with no issues. I've built my car with the parts that work....regardles of brand or bling. If you are going to spend the money on the part, I would get the best part for the money, not the best money can buy. Alot of the parts on my car I have fabbed myself. (mostly suspension pieces) Not tooting my own horn here, just trying to make a point. Go with the Summit TB.

Mec

Quick Reply: Summit vs. BBK TB, whats the difference?