LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?
Yes I do, its risky but im just careful, and its worth it to shed the weight...
50.00%
No i dont, its not worth it, either keep it a track only car or dont remove them
50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Asking this question over the internet is pointless. Everyone is going to have different opinions. In one corner you have the pansies who are afraid that some how they are going to be killed because they removed their front bumper support. On the other hand you have the people who have actually seen the bumper support and know that they are only intended to protect the car from speeds of less than 5mph. You need to make the decision for yourself. Are you a pansey or are you informed?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

I wonder how many people know that the majority of the bumper support is styro-foam
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Ray@Nitrous Outlet
I wonder how many people know that the majority of the bumper support is styro-foam
Haha, I always find it humorous when people say that if you get in a big wreck the front bumper support is going to save you. Over half of the thing is foam and is only used to keep the front bumper from sagging.

I see more purpose in the door bars, but again the same thing. If you get in a big enough wreck they aren't going to do much if anything. I'll represent something I had previously posted:

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
For those of you that think the door bars are really going to do something in a major crash I present to you a car that hit a telephone poll directly in the door:

The door completely bent it half in the middle V style and basically stabbed the driver. They had to cut the door and roof off with the jaws of life to get him out. The driver suffered two broken legs, fractured vertebrae, and broken ribs.
I already took mine out and have plans on putting an 8 point roll bar in the car. Until then you just have to be careful about the way you drive. Taking more time to drive and not rushing things is always a good thing to do in regards to safety.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none of it.. put about 60 miles on her a day..
Old 10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

removing those safety features(front and rear bumper supports and side impact bars) is very dangerous for street driving...say if someone hits you at 50 from the side...imagine how bad you would be...they are there for a reason!!! TO MAKE YOUR CAR SAFE!! respect safety and more ppl will live through accidents...
Old 10-10-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh and i know that the bumper supports arent much, but they are better than nothing there....its just not worth it if its a street car in my opinion and yes i have seen the supports...they are plastic pretty much but still i think its better than nothing...to be honest though if you are doing more than 55-60 your gonna be pretty FU**ED up whether or not your taking all the safety precautions...OR EVEN KILLED!!!...thats why i respect the speed and dont go and do stupid **** on the roads these days!!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt the styro foam on the ls1?? lt1s have the plastic..right?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha, Over half of the thing is foam and is only used to keep the front bumper from sagging.
no its not foam, the foam ones are the ls1s.

you see any foam here? no..most people take off #11 and #12. yeah i can see taking off 11, but 12, i wouldnt. the impact bar/reinforcement bar is bolted on to your frame rails and prevents your motor and trany from being F*ED up and pushed back on collision impact

Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

mine was styro-foam on a metal bracket.....you can see it in this picture

P.S. I have also cut out the crash supports from the front fenders

Last edited by Ray@Nitrous Outlet; 10-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In one corner you have the pansies who are afraid that some how they are going to be killed because they removed their front bumper support. On the other hand you have the people who have actually seen the bumper support and know that they are only intended to protect the car from speeds of less than 5mph.
pansies? haha..why?? because others dont want there ca being messd up in a accident? i ont think there pansies, i just think there playing it smart...if u remove #11 and #12(image below) whats gonna stop your motor and trany from being pushed back?? i would rather keep it on and save my motor.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was styro-foam on a metal bracket.
on your TA?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it might be different from pontiac to camaro..and i think it is
Old 10-10-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was styro-foam on a metal bracket.
majority of them are plastic...weird that yours was styro-foam! how old was your car when you got it? was it wrecked previously?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by $O$OE
it might be different from pontiac to camaro..and i think it is
might be it too....neither of my trans ams i had were styro-foam!! 94 and 95 both were plastic!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think pontiac's are different...to me it seems like foam..i never worked on a pontiac so i dont knw, im just oing by the pictures.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Camaros have the plastic piece, birds have the foam. The plastic is probably 1% better than the foam. Either way it's just there to stop the front bumper from sagging. They are designed for nothing more than a 5mph impact period.

Camaro:

Pontiacs:

EDIT:
Originally Posted by $O$OE
pansies? haha..why?? because others dont want there ca being messd up in a accident? i ont think there pansies, i just think there playing it smart...if u remove #11 and #12(image below) whats gonna stop your motor and trany from being pushed back?? i would rather keep it on and save my motor.
First off if you even want to hint at making your argument valid try some proper punctuation and attempt to spell properly. Yes, you have a hint of reading comprehension. I said, "Pansies." Have you ever taken your front bumper off and looked at the actual front end assembly? If not, pop your hood and there is an ac condensor, radiator, radiator support, headlight bar on camaros, and frame rails to name a few things in the way of the front bumper and engine. You're missing the most basic point in stating that they are going to do something. Do you realize that they are only there to protect you and the car for impacts under 5 MPH?

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 10-10-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

huh!! it is foam..i wonder why mine had plastic then...weird? anyways 5 mph or not its still nice to have it there for reasurance on a street car that is driven DAILY!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Camaros have the plastic piece, birds have the foam. The plastic is probably 1% better than the foam. Either way it's just there to stop the front bumper from sagging. They are designed for nothing more than a 5mph impact period.

Camaro:

Pontiacs:
i think more then 5mph, not alot more but i know for sure more than 5.
and its not madet o stop the bumper from sagging the main pupose of it was/is for the impact.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but let say you get into a car accident, your car is taken into the shop for repairs and the insurance company notices the peice is missing, i doubt they will cover the repairs becasue the peice to absorb energy from collision was removed.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah to be honest im pretty sure the plastic is there to keep it from sagging....MAIN POINT IS DONT TAKE IT OFF OF A STREET CAR THAT IS A DD!!!!! point is gotten across now...no sense in argueing and hijacking this thread...this thread wasnt even asking for this anyways

Quick Reply: Who drives their car on the street without bumper supports and/or crash bars?