LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8
View Poll Results: Keep it or delete.
Yes, delete away!
53.57%
Nope, not on a mostly street driven car.
46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Weight reduction.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weight reduction.

Well I'm thinking of deleting the 5mph bumpers, the crash bars in the doors, and going to a lightweight battery. Some people have recommended not deleting said items on a street car. What is your opinion? I'm hoping to offset the added weight of the roll bar that is in the car, and the nitrous setup.

Do the bumpers offer any sort of side benefit? Or pretty much at higher speeds they don't do jack?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

I think you would be cool on removing the bumpers but leave the bars in the doors! Especially if you drive on the street often!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Even with the roll bar in the car? I was kinda hoping cutting the excess weight out of the doors would be alright.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Oh you got a cage? Rip anything and everything out that you want than!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about the doors... not sure how well a roll cage will pick up the slack that the doors usually take care of in an accident. How about a fiberglass hood? assuming you dont already have one. I know they're alot lighter than my stock one. I'm assuming you already dont have spare tire, and already dont have back seats/carpet....
Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the fiberglass hood..took a good chunk of weight off mine, rear seat belts, jack and spare tire..maybe even a aftermarket k-member but those are bank.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Rear seats/belts are gone, spare and jack replaced with a 860 bottle mount. I kept the carpet so far, ***** really loud inside, and that was with the old exhaust. I'm a little worried about the aftermarket k members. I know someone made a road race version that is stronger, but still you know the stock k member and the stock a arms aren't just going to break like some of that stuff supposedly has.

I want the Harwood hood, just need funds. Looking at stuff I can take out, hell all that costs is time. Looking at deleting the ABS too. I suppose I should go to another section and inquire on how wise that is......

A/C is staying though, FL is too hot for that business!

Not a complete cage, but a chromoly 6 pt. I mean the bars cover the door area, well I guess I will post up a pic.

Sorry about the picture quality.
I have no idea how the crash bar runs in the door so maybe it does provide better coverage, I know they have some weight to them though.......
Old 08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a UMI k member. I vaguely remember comparing the two when I was swapping it but, couldn't tell that there was much difference in weight.

*before any UMI loyalists may spaz on me... Its just my opinion. I didn't bust out a scale and physically weigh the two. I remember taking the stocker to the dumpster and then installing the new one the next day and thinking to myself "hmmmm... this doesn't FEEL much lighter". I'm sure if you ask Ryan at UMI or ask spohn or BMR, they will tell you the exact weight difference. FWIW, aftermarket Kmember is definitely cleaner looking and makes some other mods and wiring easier to get to.

My back seats and carpet are out right now for other reasons and seems like the carpet has some meat to it. Probably 20+ lbs. Loud as hell though with my dumps.... cant wait to finish up and get it back in!
Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I have a UMI k member. I vaguely remember comparing the two when I was swapping it but, couldn't tell that there was much difference in weight.

*before any UMI loyalists may spaz on me... Its just my opinion. I didn't bust out a scale and physically weigh the two. I remember taking the stocker to the dumpster and then installing the new one the next day and thinking to myself "hmmmm... this doesn't FEEL much lighter". I'm sure if you ask Ryan at UMI or ask spohn or BMR, they will tell you the exact weight difference. FWIW, aftermarket Kmember is definitely cleaner looking and makes some other mods and wiring easier to get to.

My back seats and carpet are out right now for other reasons and seems like the carpet has some meat to it. Probably 20+ lbs. Loud as hell though with my dumps.... cant wait to finish up and get it back in!
I don't see how you couldn't tell the difference between the stock k-member and the UMI being the UMI is 25 lbs lighter??? Add the UMI lower control arms on at the same time and it sheds a total of 33 lbs off your car.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Banned

http://www.umiperformance.com/2325?category_id=122
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I vote NO on a street car..c'mon....get a race car then...BE SAFE.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

not to thread jack but, like I said... just my vague memory of it. I cant argue with anyone thats actually weighed the two. I was hopped up on energy drinks from time to time so might have just been how tired I was one day to the next.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperzone
not to thread jack but, like I said... just my vague memory of it. I cant argue with anyone thats actually weighed the two. I was hopped up on energy drinks from time to time so might have just been how tired I was one day to the next.
It's crack in a can bitc*...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you thought about taking out the airbags and doimg an aftermarket steering wheel? Also all the boxs that go with the airbags?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do it.... I have deleted all the above, along with the ABS, airbags, steering wheel, center console, carpet, light weight battery, power steering, a/c, gutted the dash, pin on hood, k-member, a-arms, and random metal all over the car. There is a BIG difference the way the car feels with all that weight gone. Handling is through the roof! Anyways there was a large weight difference b/t the UMI kmember and stock...
Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

with the 6 point the door bars are OK to remove....with a 5 pt harness you will never touch the sterring wheel unless it is shoved back, so the airbags can go.....the bumper supports I would remove.

ABS is fine to remove...mine has been gone for a while.

My car is down to a raceweight of approx 3200# ....started at 3680# before i got in the car

The thing to remember is if you are getting aggressive with weight removal you will need to be extra attentive when street driving...its my philosiphy that the majority of accidents are caused by "2" people not paying attention. Even if an accident is not "your fault" many can be avoided by being prepared and being aware of your surroundings.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

delete it all man you can get 23 lbs off the front end and 18 lbs off the rear bumpers. anything else is a bonus doors are less than 5 lbs.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I've taken out the complete AC System, ABS, Back Seats/Rear Seat Belts, cut the Brackets out for them as well. I also took the Spare Tire out(left in the Jack to help support the plastic Trim Piece there), the rear Speaker Box, and maybe a couple of other things that were small.

Personally I left in the Bumper Supports and the safety stuff, expecially the Door Bars, cause they help alot if there is an Impact there. These Fiberglass Doors shatter real quick in a wreck, they aren't like the metal ones that will atleast help a little bit.

As far as dropping weight, it helps alot. A friend of mine had a 3700lb+ LS1 Camaro, and that thing was a dog, it was heavy so it had alot of weight transfer in the corners. Even when he lowered it, it was still tricky..
Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

we raced teh bolt on car at 3180 with a 12bolt....
Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

I agree take it all out if you got the 6 point

I got mine down to 3050 with 12 bolt and beafy th400 tranny and I still have the door bars,stock kmember and stock 42 lb hood and stock brakes in the front.I also still have lots of other odds and ends to take out also

its fairly simple to get down to 2950 after that it takes some real work

Quick Reply: Weight reduction.