Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing-2 part question??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot bearing-2 part question??

1st., whats the easiest way to remove it?

2nd. I found that the bearing itself is gone, just the houseing is left, could this cause any vibration?
Old 10-20-2008, 11:45 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always used a slide hammer to get them out. Just have to have one with jaws small enough to get in there.
There are pilot bearing removal tools as well.
The absence of the bearing can definately cause problems.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Pepboys rents out pilot bearing removal tools over here. I'm sure someone around your neck of the woods do the same.

Not having the pilot bearing giving the proper support might severely **** up your transmission input shaft and/or input shaft bearings...
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A missing pilot bearing will cause a vibration and can cause damage to the pocket bearing. You should teardown the trans to be sure the bearings are in good shape before you re-install it.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got it out, rented a blind hole puller from O'Reilly's, slid right out with a few slides of the hammer.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use a slide hammer and replace it with a bushing for a 69 camaro with 4 speed muncie (from any auto parts store). If the input shaft is gouged you might have to get it resleeved
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[ get it resleeved[/QUOTE]
These are not sleeved. If the pilot is damaged its best to replace it. A correct sleeving( find an oversize hardened bushing/sleeve, turn down the shaft, press on the sleeve, grind the od of the sleeve to size) of this part will cost more than a replacement.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pilot shaft is in great shape (surprizeingly enough), its nice & smooth, no scuffs, nothin, my thinking is there was anough "dead air" space between the bearing houseing & pilot shaft that they never touched, i've never seen this happen before, but there is signs, there was a bunch of powder like **** in the pilot hole, that must be what was left of the inner bearing, but to my surprize, the shaft looks great, so abviously that bearing is made of alot softer material then the shaft, so the shaft won.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another way to remove it is with a socket & extension and some grease . The force of pushing it in .. the grease fills the void and the bearing will move out .
Old 10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LM97Z
The pilot shaft is in great shape (surprizeingly enough), its nice & smooth, no scuffs, nothin, my thinking is there was anough "dead air" space between the bearing houseing & pilot shaft that they never touched, i've never seen this happen before, but there is signs, there was a bunch of powder like **** in the pilot hole, that must be what was left of the inner bearing, but to my surprize, the shaft looks great, so abviously that bearing is made of alot softer material then the shaft, so the shaft won.
You're lucky then. My bearing ate into the main shaft and I had to have it resleeved. Go with the bushing as almost all bearings I see fall apart and cause damage to the shaft.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stevied916
Use a slide hammer and replace it with a bushing for a 69 camaro with 4 speed muncie (from any auto parts store). If the input shaft is gouged you might have to get it resleeved
2nd that.... National PB-656-HD is the part number, get the HD version only $1 more than the std

Quick Reply: Pilot bearing-2 part question??