Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting problem persists; unable to shift quickly.. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Tick Master!

Just giving you a hard time, Aetos.

The hydraulic system on these cars is absolutely terrible, and even stock cars with stock clutches would benefit from a better hydraulic setup. You would be amazed at the difference our Adjustable Master makes when installed, regardless of the clutch/engine modfications. I honestly feel like GM shorted us on the factory design, and that a cylinder like ours (flows much more fluid than the GM junk) should have been used on all LS1 F-cars and C5 Corvettes from the factory.

That being said - you're approaching the problem the right way. Install the LS7 clutch kit, install the new slave and bleed your system well. Hopefully that fixes any and all problems you're having. If not - I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
Get a Tick Master!

Just giving you a hard time, Aetos.

The hydraulic system on these cars is absolutely terrible, and even stock cars with stock clutches would benefit from a better hydraulic setup. You would be amazed at the difference our Adjustable Master makes when installed, regardless of the clutch/engine modfications. I honestly feel like GM shorted us on the factory design, and that a cylinder like ours (flows much more fluid than the GM junk) should have been used on all LS1 F-cars and C5 Corvettes from the factory.

That being said - you're approaching the problem the right way. Install the LS7 clutch kit, install the new slave and bleed your system well. Hopefully that fixes any and all problems you're having. If not - I look forward to hearing from you.

I have no doubt that your master is incredible, as I have read that the gm hydraulic system of these cars is quite lacking. At the present time of my car, and for any power I'll be pushing in the near future, I don't believe I would actually need a master quite as good as yours. Sometime in the future I will, undoubtedly, upgrade to your master if the praise holds up to the test of time.

Another question, I was quoted at $400 labor only for replacing my clutch and slave. Is this reasonable? I think the labor books say 8 hours job, but does a shop really need 8 hours for this kind of job?? It seems I could do it in 8 hours on the ground with jacks, lol.

If this isn't reasonable, anybody know any place that would do it for a bit of a better price than $400 located near NYC? I'll be replacing clutch, slave, pilot bearing, tranny mount, but I don't think replacing that should up the price at all because, if I'm not mistaking, all of that has to be removed to install the clutch anyway.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Aetos
Another question, I was quoted at $400 labor only for replacing my clutch and slave. Is this reasonable? I think the labor books say 8 hours job, but does a shop really need 8 hours for this kind of job?? It seems I could do it in 8 hours on the ground with jacks, lol.

If this isn't reasonable, anybody know any place that would do it for a bit of a better price than $400 located near NYC? I'll be replacing clutch, slave, pilot bearing, tranny mount, but I don't think replacing that should up the price at all because, if I'm not mistaking, all of that has to be removed to install the clutch anyway.
We charge four hours to do the clutch/slave/flywheel/mount, which is $280. Unfortunately, we're a longgg drive from NYC.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you end up making out? i have a similar problem with blockage.i took my car to track the first time friday night(low 15s btw).down the track when it came time to shift into 3rd i got blockage and kept forcing it until it finally went in.i havent drove my car in 2 months until this wkend so i let'er rip all wkend.i got a lot of blockage going on, through many of my power shifts this wkend.even when i start up the car and put it in reverse i get blockage it won't go right in;my room mate told me to put her into 1st then put her back into reverse(it worked).clutch pedal feel is fine.transmission is real strong.is this similar to what you had going?o yeah my ss is completely bonestock!bought her at 51k just put her over 55k
Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
how did you end up making out? i have a similar problem with blockage.i took my car to track the first time friday night(low 15s btw).down the track when it came time to shift into 3rd i got blockage and kept forcing it until it finally went in.i havent drove my car in 2 months until this wkend so i let'er rip all wkend.i got a lot of blockage going on, through many of my power shifts this wkend.even when i start up the car and put it in reverse i get blockage it won't go right in;my room mate told me to put her into 1st then put her back into reverse(it worked).clutch pedal feel is fine.transmission is real strong.is this similar to what you had going?o yeah my ss is completely bonestock!bought her at 51k just put her over 55k
Yes, this is similar to my problem. Reverse is the hardest to get into. I'm gonna be getting my clutch and slave installed on Monday. I'll update you then.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

i can't believe this is happening to me already.pm me when your done with your setup and let me know what ya did an the results. so now i gotta save for this after spending a grand last fri on tires,brakes,and rotors. i don't know much about these setups but im gonna start researching what route is best for me.perhaps that adjustable master slave mentioned in the post and the dx 12" with some kind of flywheel.all i know is that after this i better be shifting like butter. big question here is: is it worth rebuilding the tranny stronger while your at this point where you got to drop the tranny anyways??? how much for a built tranny and clutch set up? sponors key in here im in maryland at andrews afb willing to travel up 2 200mi for reputable work. sorry im not trying to high jack this thread but this thread is very useful to us an others who encounter this similar problem. if it makes a difference on the setup i will be doing a future 4xxci aluminum build.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

i can't believe this is happening to me already.pm me when your done with your setup and let me know what ya did an the results. so now i gotta save for this after spending a grand last fri on tires,brakes,and rotors. i don't know much about these setups but im gonna start researching what route is best for me.perhaps that adjustable master slave mentioned in the post and the dx 12" with some kind of flywheel.all i know is that after this i better be shifting like butter. big question here is: is it worth rebuilding the tranny stronger while your at this point where you got to drop the tranny anyways??? how much for a built tranny and clutch set up? sponors key in here im in maryland at andrews afb willing to travel up 2 200mi for reputable work. sorry im not trying to high jack this thread but this thread is very useful to us an others who encounter this similar problem. if it makes a difference on the setup i will be doing a future 4xxci aluminum build.
Built trannies with parts and labor usually run around 800-1k from what I've seen from sponsors. Im personally going with an ls7 clutch(JUST CAME!!!!), gm master and slave. The ls7 clutch is good until approximately 450rwhp on our cars from what I've read. The GM master is usually fine unless you get a very good aftermarket clutch, ie: some of the tex clutches.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Give me a buzz tomorrow after 9am and we'll go over some different options - we specialize in getting these things to shift like butter and it'll end up being cheaper than you'd think, I bet.
Originally Posted by Aetos
The GM master is usually fine unless you get a very good aftermarket clutch, ie: some of the tex clutches.
This is a very common misconception that I'll politely clear up: the factory hydraulic system wasn't designed well enough for even a factory clutch setup, and this is evident more and more as time goes on and these things get some wear on them. Even when they were brand new and bone stock, they still didn't shift as well as they could. The hydraulic system is just too weak to shift WELL - that is why we engineered our kit that solves the problem. The aftermarket clutches (Tex, Spec, etc) all just expose the weakness even further.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Bump on what Joey just said my car was completely stock, with stock clutch and i had terrible shifting problems just got my car back today from Tick!They did tranny rebuild and tick master much much better so far!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ws6indubv
Bump on what Joey just said my car was completely stock, with stock clutch and i had terrible shifting problems just got my car back today from Tick!They did tranny rebuild and tick master much much better so far!
That doesn't back up what he said too much. Your better shifting quality may have come from the rebuilt tranny. Not saying the master isn't good, but your statement doesn't back it up too much.

If I ever see problems with my current setup, tick will be getting my order.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

that job is not that bad at all to do yourself. ive done it like four times due to a plug in the back on the crank(oil galley plug). if you do the job yourself, be sure to check the plug just to be sure it hasnt jarred sideways or anything. because if it has and you put another clutch in it you will find that it was a waste. i fought with this issue forever until i got on here and posted about it and the guys helped me out very quickly. they also saved me a shitload of money. i was dropping 4 and 5 hundred bucks a pop on clutches to have them burn up in like two months. then i read up and found out about that plug and looked at it and sure enough the damn thing was twisted sideways. matched it with a freeze plug and put that in by beating it with a socket and some RTV and no more slippage.

long story short id check that plug or have your mechanic check it so you dont wind up dropping a shitload of money on unnessacary parts. just figured id forwarn ya.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by streetsurfinseth
that job is not that bad at all to do yourself. ive done it like four times due to a plug in the back on the crank(oil galley plug). if you do the job yourself, be sure to check the plug just to be sure it hasnt jarred sideways or anything. because if it has and you put another clutch in it you will find that it was a waste. i fought with this issue forever until i got on here and posted about it and the guys helped me out very quickly. they also saved me a shitload of money. i was dropping 4 and 5 hundred bucks a pop on clutches to have them burn up in like two months. then i read up and found out about that plug and looked at it and sure enough the damn thing was twisted sideways. matched it with a freeze plug and put that in by beating it with a socket and some RTV and no more slippage.

long story short id check that plug or have your mechanic check it so you dont wind up dropping a shitload of money on unnessacary parts. just figured id forwarn ya.
huh? what does this have to do with my problem? lol
My clutch isn't burned, its most likely a hydraulic or pressure plate problem. My clutch still grabs strong, but Im just switching the clutch for the hell of it while the tranny is down.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

thanks joey.that chit chat helped out.btw i can't find the lock out for a burn out on the site where is it?how much?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 00ws6indubv
Very nice to meet you Wade - I'm glad you're loving that thing.
thanks joey.that chit chat helped out.btw i can't find the lock out for a burn out on the site where is it?how much?
My pleasure! It was very nice chatting with you. Click the link below to view our line locks (I suggest the SLP).

http://www.tick-performance.com/cata...ing/#linelocks
Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

PS before my trans ever had a problem i COULDNT SHIFT EITHER and isnt that your problem? and again i had stock clutch, you just said it yourself hydraulics just tryin to help ya bud but good luck keep us posted if you figure this thing out !!!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Joey
Very nice to meet all of you down there, great shop, great work, and great people hopefully ill be back soon to do some head n cam work. Ill pass the work around about you all up here in WV! Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:45 PM

If you will let me know what you did to fix it because I'm having the same problem with my 01 SS, I have been Dumping alot of money to fix.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

My friend took my car to the shop this morning for me while I was in classes. He raped a 3-series bmw on the highway while taking it there . I should be getting it back sometime tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe u didnt adjust your pro 5.0 correctly? u might try readjusting it
Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

hey aetos, pm me and let me know im very eager to hear from your results. im about to order that tick adj and a pro 5.0. by any chance does anyone know the best prices on the short throw??? make sure you get them high rpm power shifts going cuz i will not take cruising around results!

Quick Reply: Shifting problem persists; unable to shift quickly.. HELP!!