Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2nd Gear Grinding...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2nd Gear Grinding...

First off, im gonna go ahead and let you guys know.. I'm a complete transmission noob....
With that being said, lets continue..

On my way to work today, i noticed some grinding when trying to go into 2nd. It just does it for a second, but once its actually in 2nd there's no more grinding. But, it sucks. and sounds horrible.
Occasionally the shifter would pop out of 3rd on its own when i let out the clutch, but i assume it only happened when i wasn't paying much attention, because i would put it back in third, and make sure it was completely in gear before letting out the clutch again and it was fine..
I also noticed if i'm going pretty slow, i can sometimes shift into 2nd without it grinding, but thats usually before i would normally shift into 2nd. (Around 10 mph or so)

I searched, found some stuff, but honestly like i said, im a noob when it comes to the trans... Is there anything i should look for before i think about bringing it to the dealer? It's still got a warranty, so if anything needs replacing, it's going there..
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The grinding is your 1/2 synchro slider, the teeth are worn most likely. Popping out of 3rd is also very common... It is your slider keys most likely. Buy the parts from Gearbox they have great prices
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Any idea on what would cause it to happen all of a sudden? Or a price on parts?

If anything needs to be replaced, i won't be doing it. I severely lack the knowledge, and at this point the tools too.. My dad isn't very big on transmissions either... But i'm pretty damn sure it should be covered by my warranty, in which case would cost me like $54 to fix..
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bill12690
Any idea on what would cause it to happen all of a sudden? Or a price on parts?

If anything needs to be replaced, i won't be doing it. I severely lack the knowledge, and at this point the tools too.. My dad isn't very big on transmissions either... But i'm pretty damn sure it should be covered by my warranty, in which case would cost me like $54 to fix..
This usually happens on the 3rd gear side of the 3-4 slider, it is from missing shifts, causing the face of the slider to round off, which in good condition are like little triangles. ** edit

Last edited by 1sick'98WS6; 11-18-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, i've missed a shift before (when i first got the car, felt like a retard) but its been fine ever since.. The only thing recent i did was give it about 1/2 throttle from about 2400 rpms in first, up to maybe 4000, then put it back in neutral and coasted for a min before going back into 3rd at normal rpm's.. But it still seemed fine after that. Either way, thanks for the help..

I might just have a whole bunch of warranty info to go through now... damn.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wish I still had a warranty, hopefully you can get it taken care of with nothing out of your pocket.. let us know how it works out
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Resident

definitely will do.. I'll probably end up calling the dealer tomorrow, to see what i can do. That means holding off on installing LCA relocation brackets and spending some time taking some stuff out.. Other than that i should be fine.. i hope.

Thanks a lot for the help man..
Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you go to the dealer with the mis-unformation reported here, research what is going on in your trans. Otherwise they will surely reject the claim .
A 3rd gear jump out is most likely due to a worn aluminim 3/4 shift fork( a well known problem ) You may also have a worn synchronizer sleeve( slider) from clashing . Its for sure your struts ( keys) have nothing to do with a jump out. A broken strut would cause you to stick / get stuck ing gear.
The 2nd clash is most likely due to a worn blocker ring( the friction element). If you drive awhile like this , the sleeve teeth can get significant wear to them but this damage is secondary to the real cause.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Called the warranty people today and the dealer.. LCA relocation brackets void the warranty so its a good thing those aren't on yet.. The car is going to the dealership Friday so they can diagnose it. I started taking some stuff out today, gotta try and finish that up tomorrow..

EDIT:
My warranty deductible is only $50 so i'm gonna just let them take a look, replace what they want, and make sure it's perfect before it leaves the dealer. Plus the owner of the dealer is a family friend of a good friend of mine, so i know it'll be taken care of and I've also heard his techs are good..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Little update... Tuesday i took out the bottle and the brackets for it.. Wednesday i cleaned my air filter and took out the fitting, and today i removed the fuse, solenoid, and line...And i can't say im looking forward to putting it back in. Only thing left now is the switches and maybe hide some wiring, which i'll probably do either tonight after work or tomorrow. Then shes off to the stealership...