Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: What do you think I should do?
Sell the Camaro, buy a different kind of car.
0%
Sell the Camaro, buy another F-body M6.
66.67%
Keep the Camaro, swap for an M6.
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Good idea, or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good idea, or no?

So, I've been considering this for a while now... But I'm still not sure.

I really want to drive a manual performance car, just because it looks like tons of fun. I'm keeping my TA with the auto because it's better for just driving normally and being consistent at the track, but I've been thinking about other options...

1st, I wanted to get another car... But I wanted to get something about the same speed as my TA...

2nd, I realized that might not be the smartest thing in the world, considering I've only driven a little manual 4 cylinder VW a couple times.... lol. So I know I can get around just fine, but performance wise I would be horrible at first.

3rd, I have a '93 camaro Z28, with 137k miles on it currently, that I got for $2k... It has an auto in it now, but I'm thinking about swapping in a manual... I mean, after putting in the new tranny and selling the old one, I should be somewhere around $1k I would think, right? So basically I would have paid $3000 for the car after the swap. Or close. And honestly selling and finding and buying a new car would probably be more of a pain to me personally than swapping the trannies. So I would have to find a car in better shape for around $3-3.5k to make it worth doing that instead of just switching the tranny. Seems to me it might be kinda hard to do that. Maybe I'm wrong though.

So here are my two questions for you. First is, do you think an LT1 F-body is a decent first car to learn how to drive a manual in a performance type car? And second, if you do, do you think I should do the swap, or look for a new car?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not too hard to do the swap.. and not too pricey either..

as far as learned.. best to learn on a t56... they are totally different than say a neon 5 speed.. different feel while just driving banging gears pushing in clutch.. whatever..
Old 12-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Restricted User

I would just sell the car you have now and try to find an M6. IMO i think it would be easier than paying the money and investing the time to find the m6 parts and the time and effort to install it. Theres plenty of good deals out there right now. Driving a manual is easy youll learn really quick as long as you understand the basic concept.

I drive a truck for my second job and its nothing like driving a truck (semi) controlling your rpm to speed ratio not using the clutch.

Its very simple youll catch on quick.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:03 AM
12 Second Club

Oh yeah. I understand it . haha. Like I said, I've driven a friend's VW Golf a few times. The first time I got in she started telling me what to do how quickly to let the clutch up and all that good stuff. Well, She never got more than halfway through telling me how before I had finished already doing it (not even listening to her ). It took her about a minute to realize we were already out on the road going 50 and I was doing just fine on my own, so she stopped for the rest of the ride.... haha

So no, I have no problems driving one around normally, and I'm sure I will learn everything else quickly. I would just like to learn performance type driving and I figured something moderately powered like a stock LT1 would be a good place to start.

Also, forgot to mention, the car I have is a hardtop too, so that would be nice for whatever I wanted to do to it down the road...
Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the one your thinking about doing the swap is near paid off or paid off.. and is a good car, you would be dumb to sell it to get a 6 speed and go in debt more for a car that might not be as good as the one you have now...

that is what you should base your decision on if you buy another or do the swap.. IMO
Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

A swap isn't that hard and I'm looking forward to mine when it's done. But I only have one Car, so I'm only doing work to one, and driving just one, that is what makes it worth it to me.
I don't think I could put the same attention into 2 performace cars, that is alot of work and alot of keep track of in a way, and I don't have the time for it, but that's just me.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

In a lot of cases on the older LT1 cars , the T56 set up is worth more than the car itself . Finding a complete swap is going to be pricey and you have to ask yourself , is the car really worth it ?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by lemons12
if the one your thinking about doing the swap is near paid off or paid off.. and is a good car, you would be dumb to sell it to get a 6 speed and go in debt more for a car that might not be as good as the one you have now...

that is what you should base your decision on if you buy another or do the swap.. IMO
Well, all of my cars I pay for in full immediately, so yes, it is paid off. And any other car i get would be no more expensive than the money I got from that car. I'm in college currently, so I don't really work, except for the summer, so I don't really have any way of paying off a car loan during the year.

Long story short, both cars would be paid for. But like I said, I would have to find a very good deal on another one because of that. No loans. Only money I got for my other one (and some extra for another car I'll probably be selling cheap).

Originally Posted by thesource
In a lot of cases on the older LT1 cars , the T56 set up is worth more than the car itself . Finding a complete swap is going to be pricey and you have to ask yourself , is the car really worth it ?
If you're thinking purely resale value then no, probably not. The cost of buying the swap will be approaching half of the worth of the car. But this would be all about getting a car to learn to drive a performance manual car. And as far as that goes I think it would be hard to find a car as quick as this to learn with for as cheap.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Some people go into modding with a resale value in mind, that is wrong mindset IMO..

I bought mine as a toy, I have about $22K into it at the moment, and look where it sits..I'm happy with it, and it has alot of good parts that can be re-used.

Quick Reply: Good idea, or no?