Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ram Powergrip HD

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******
The RAM I posted has organic on one side and ceramic "puc" type material (not sure what it is made of)

The ZOOM HP is Kevlar on both sides.

Organic/ceramic disc clutch will not hold as well as a "puc/puc" type disc.

Beyond the disc material itself the construction and materials used in the disc, IMHO, is also a factor in my choice of clutches. My nod went to the ZOOM in that area.

I have seen the RAM fail when the disc did shear from its hub. The ZOOM MC series of clutches is a "stock" replacement but when I spoke with the ZOOM tech he said they no longer offer the MC series for the LT1 (MU disc type)
Then why didnt you compare the powergrip HD to the zoom clutch? And those large springs that require large holes in the cage in the zoom clutch make the cage significantly weaker than the 8 smaller springs in the powergrip clutch.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Then why didnt you compare the powergrip HD to the zoom clutch? And those large springs that require large holes in the cage in the zoom clutch make the cage significantly weaker than the 8 smaller springs in the powergrip clutch.
Speed;

I did compare the RAM HD. I wanted the kevlar material vs the RAM iron/organic composition material of their HD.

Not a fan of encased disc springs and the RAM HD disc has "fingers" that attach disc hub to outer ring vs solid metal disc of ZOOM.

Just my $02
Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Speed;

I did compare the RAM HD. I wanted the kevlar material vs the RAM iron/organic composition material of their HD.

Not a fan of encased disc springs and the RAM HD disc has "fingers" that attach disc hub to outer ring vs solid metal disc of ZOOM.

Just my $02
The clutch in your picture is not the powergrip HD. It is just the ram powergrip which is their dual friction clutch (900/300 friction materials) while the powergrip HD has the same friction material (900/900) on both sides. So either you ordered the powergrip or they sent you the wrong clutch.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:25 PM
01z
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the powergrip hd, i would buy again
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a good clutch my car is making 428RWHP N/a, 590RWHP on spray and it holds as long as you let it cool down good between runs. As far as driving on the street its ok I guess but with the surg of the cam it can become a pain real quick
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Front and back of my powergrip HD just to show it is not organic.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
The clutch in your picture is not the powergrip HD. It is just the ram powergrip which is their dual friction clutch (900/300 friction materials) while the powergrip HD has the same friction material (900/900) on both sides. So either you ordered the powergrip or they sent you the wrong clutch.
Speed;

i know the RAM in my pic is not the HD...again I chose the ZOOM for its disc construction and material (Kevlar)

Not knocking the RAM, just did not pick that one standard or HD
Old 12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
11 Second Club

Speed;

i know the RAM in my pic is not the HD...again I chose the ZOOM for its disc construction and material (Kevlar)

Not knocking the RAM, just did not pick that one standard or HD
It sounded like you were here.

Speed;

Just my $02
Anyway I just wanted to make it clear since there was some confusion in this thread.

Quick Reply: Ram Powergrip HD