Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Replacing clutch - Should I replace t/o bearing too??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing clutch - Should I replace t/o bearing too??

Getting a Centerforce DF clutch installed on my 01 z06 and wondering if I should also definitely replace the throwout bearing too. Car has 40k miles.I will also be replacing the pilot bearing, Slave cyl, Master cyl and a remote bleeder.

....But not sure on the t/o bearing. Most people don't mention it when talking about clutch swaps, but on a few sites I went to they said they recommend it when replacing a clutch.

Edit: Also...I plan on getting the 12" Dual Friction clutch, part # DF395010.(found it @ RPM for only $329 new). Is it ok to re-use my stock flywheel as long as its resurfaced and they are balanced together?

Last edited by KB99WS6; 12-25-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The throwout bearing comes with and is part of the slave cylinder.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Thats good to hear! $70 I don't have to spend, lol.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Resurfacing the flywheel is a questionable practice with these cars...typically the hydraulics don't work that great with a resurfaced wheel due to the increased clearance. Plus, the flywheel gets significant hot spots that don't really come out with resurfacing...they just get hidden from view and reappear quickly. It can shorten the life of your friction materials and flywheel.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

again. There is a Transmission forum you know.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Resurfacing the flywheel is a questionable practice with these cars...typically the hydraulics don't work that great with a resurfaced wheel due to the increased clearance. Plus, the flywheel gets significant hot spots that don't really come out with resurfacing...they just get hidden from view and reappear quickly. It can shorten the life of your friction materials and flywheel.
Thanks for the heads up and I'll take that into consideration. From all the posts I read it seems a lot of guys have done it without any problems. I heard its fine to do once. I'll ask Vette Docs on Monday...
Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Resurfacing a flywheel is fine if you just get it done once. It doesnt take that much off of it and everytime mine have been done my hot spots were gone.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would just do everything brand new. why take any risk or do something half a$$
Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

You wanna give me the $280 for a new flywheel and I will go ahead and do that You can ALWAYS go that one step further with everything. The money you can spend is endless. I started out just having my car taken in to get the oil consumption problem fixed. Now with the engine out, I was like hmm, maybe I should try and get a cheap used baby cam to have them throw in since the engine is already out and I won't have to pay extra labor...

Well now that has turned into this:

New 228r Cam
New PRC Dual gold springs, Ti Retainers, viton seals
New 7.4 Pushrods
New LS2 timing chain
New CF DF clutch kit
New Master Cylinder
New Slave Cylinder
New Pilot Bearing
New Remote Bleeder
New Oil catch-can
...And New Dyno-tune

All this adds up to a decent amount of money, and beyond what I ever intended on spending. It kept adding up, because I wanted to do it right and not take short-cuts because is like everything you want to do, there's always "well while you are in there, i recommend doing this too" ...But after all this, if I have lots of people telling me its perfectly fine to re-use my stock flywheel than, at this point, thats certainly what I will do
Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with you on the saving money part man but I would seriously replace your old flywheel because is it's easy to run into problems with resurfacing. Plus if you look around I garantee you find one cheaper than $280. Either way you go, good luck with the new setup. Sounds pretty cool.

Kyle
Old 01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

i would definetly replace the throwout bearing. it will keep you from having to seperate the trans again .

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch - Should I replace t/o bearing too??