Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56 desperate help needed. Soo close.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-56 desperate help needed. Soo close.

Ok i have the case together and guide bolts in correctly etc.

I am trying to get the counter shaft with the 5th/6th gear on it and I think I may have an extra spacer or something.

I have a spacer or washer that has a silver metal inner ring, then a black plastic feeling outer ring to it. Where does it go?

The last spacer on the 5h/6th gear and synchro shaft should be all silver spacer that is wider than it is thick? does this spacer then sit on top of the black plastic top tot he countershaft below it? It just seems like it isnt seating into the countershaft for some reason.

also with the 5th/6th driven gear pressed onto the main shaft, the gear teeth line up, but the 5th gear seems to be seated maybe an 1/8th of an inch lower than the 5th/6th and syncho counter shaft.

there doesnt appear to be any binding of the gears.

Sorry im still very foggy headed right now.. and already broke one chair lol... such an annoying thing. Cant seem to find a good picture of this crap anywhere. I swore I had ll this crap pre planned and pictured etc.. but both laptops hve now crashed.

Appreciate the help and sorry for the grammar and typos. Id post pics.. but yea.. things aren working.. and of course I left my papers down stairs so I cant give exact names and/or part numbers based on the tremec schematics.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Resident

well tremec doesnt show any sort of spacer or top to the countershaft from within the case. it does list one spacer just after the needle bearins and 6th gear though.

Although Im not ure which spacer it is as I apparently have 3. I have one spacer which seems like one of the bearing caps/braces but it is black plastic outer on witht he silver metal inner but it profile/cross section looks like a L. With the _ of the L on top of the teeth to the countershaft.

Then I hav a simple silver spacer, then another black and silver spacer but its juts a ring and not L shaped.

I cant really tell what the how to write for rebulding section has there for its spacer.

I just got done remving the 5th/6th driven and the 5th/6th countershaft.

Maybe with a clear head tomorow ill tackle it.

Argh.

Thanks.

I know how useless half of this is without pics.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic of all the parts on a LS1 5/6 extension:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...DCP_%20044.jpg

The large cup spacer that fits between the counter and extension is at 12 o'clock in the pic. There are small slim spacers that fit on both sides of the 6th gear needle bearing, one of them is below the needle bearing in the pic.

If anything there looks familiar, point it out and I can try to xref it to the tremec number in the doc.

The reverse/remaining stuff is mostly pictured here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28...DCP_%20051.jpg

It has a thick washer, and small thin plastic washer that are at 3 o'clock and sitting inside the synchro.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

I have some pictures of that stuff assembled at http://s415.photobucket.com/albums/pp238/bb5401000/. The stepped thrust washer that goes in between the countershaft and the countershaft extension goes in with the flat size against the extension. The plastic thrust washer for reverse goes on the rear side of the reverse synchro. I have text boxes on the photos pointing out the parts. I hope you can read the text.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

appreciate it. checking those out now. Thanks for taking the time to offer help
Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

So thanks again. black with the silver metal are the thrust washers and the all metal/silver are the spacers.

Really appreciate the help. Solved this hurdle for me guys! ls1tech memebers to the rescue yet again haha.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

ok, so I have 74, 76 and 78 and 108.

What I appear to be missing is 115.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the small needle bearing spacer, protects the needle bearing from the snap-ring.

I've seen some transmissions with one on each side, and others with just one on the snap-ring side.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

no clue what I could have done with it.
so I definitely need it to prevent the needle bearing from coming apart and grinding against the jagged edge of the snap ring.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: t-56 desperate help needed. Soo close.