Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is my clutch done???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch done???

While I was driving from VA to TX my car started acting up in Atlanta. It didn't want to go into any gear and made a whirring sound when I would try to force it. It wasn't grinding just a rubbing/whirring noise. Anyway, I towed it down here and tore it apart today to find some dark burn marks 180 degrees apart on both the flywheel and pressure plate. Also, there's a lot of greasy carbon buildup all throughout the bellhousing area. Any thoughts?

Pics

Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would the car go in gear at all?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, it would go into gear but it made some noise when pushing the shifter through the gates. Also, I swear I could hear a rattling sound coming from the bellhousing until I pushed the clutch pedal.

Then when I was putting it up on the trailer the clutch didn't want to hold, even with the 4.10s in the rear and the lower gears in the tranny. It smoked like crazy which is why the disc is all black.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The rattling sound with your foot off the pedal and the car in N might be the throw out bareing and id say if it wont hold and is slipping its probly junk
Is the clutch stock cause thats alot of HP for a stock one
those marks 180 apart like that are weird ive never seen that before

Last edited by 1999FirehawkLS1; 01-15-2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rollinna65
It didn't want to go into any gear and made a whirring sound when I would try to force it. It wasn't grinding just a rubbing/whirring noise.
I have almost the same issue, but mine goes into gear using just a little force and holds the gears fine, but it makes that same noise. Anyone know what that means? I'm using the LT4 PP and a McLeod disc.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
The rattling sound with your foot off the pedal and the car in N might be the throw out bareing and id say if it wont hold and is slipping its probly junk
Is the clutch stock cause thats alot of HP for a stock one
those marks 180 apart like that are weird ive never seen that before
Yeah, you're probably right about the bearing being the source of the rattling noise. Originally I thought it was the input shaft but after yanking out the trans I found there's no play whatsoever and the pilot bushing is still in great condition too.

Definitely not a stock clutch, its a Centerforce 12'' Dual Friction. This might be a long shot but I think I might have my Tick adjustable master set so that its moving more fluid than the clutch needs to release. Maybe over time it caused the pressure plate to lose tension. My replacement LS7 clutch should be here this afternoon and should be installed by the end of the weekend. We'll see how that does.

As far as the strange marks, I'm still trying to figure out what could have caused such dark burn marks in a pattern like that.