Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
No one here has had their monster for 8-10k+
If you pm me your number I will get you in touch with one of our original testers that has 18k miles on his Level 3, I asked if he was okay with this and he said no problem.

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
for the monster stage 3,4 and 5, is an aftermarket master cylinder needed?
ive had issues in the past with heavy duty single disc designs and factory hydraulics...
No, we've got tons of these on stock hydraulics, however, we all know that the stock hydraulics on fbodys are hit and miss... I highly recommend the Tick adjustable master cylinder if you are looking at upgrading, it's a great piece that has been tested and it works.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be going with a monster clutch with my stock OEM master cylinder... but if I start having issues with pedal pressure/engagement so on my first move will be to buy a tick adj. cylinder
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

I just installed my Tick Adjustable Master Cyl today.. The car definitely shifts better, but Im not gonna beat on it that much, because I still dont think I have the right pedal hight yet.. It feels like its engaging too slow and I have to get used to teh feel with no spring now..

and I was finally able to shift at WOT above 6000rpms+... It didnt let me go into 3rd though and I feel this is the pedal height issue.. as well as my LS7 clutch is pretty much almost done, but after I fix the pedal height, I may still take it racing, before I fully wear out my clutch.. then its MONSTER time
Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

I was just reading the Monster clutch information...

The Stage 6 is just a stage 4 puck and stage 5 pressure plate??

Btw, I was just curious, if the stage 5 pedal pressure is 10-12% stiffer, then the stage 3 and 4 is just like stock??

Hell, I wouldnt mind having the stage 5 in that case ... But I think thats overkill for now..
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Theres only an 8 page thread in this forum section that i started about it
What the hell do you know? You post on Mustang forums
Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouvs
I'll be going with a monster clutch with my stock OEM master cylinder... but if I start having issues with pedal pressure/engagement so on my first move will be to buy a tick adj. cylinder
Sounds good!

The Tick master is a great setup! They are having a GB on them right now, we will start carrying their master cylinder because I'm so impressed with the quality and functionality of this piece.

I just installed my Tick Adjustable Master Cyl today.. The car definitely shifts better, but Im not gonna beat on it that much, because I still dont think I have the right pedal hight yet.. It feels like its engaging too slow and I have to get used to teh feel with no spring now..

and I was finally able to shift at WOT above 6000rpms+... It didnt let me go into 3rd though and I feel this is the pedal height issue.. as well as my LS7 clutch is pretty much almost done, but after I fix the pedal height, I may still take it racing, before I fully wear out my clutch.. then its MONSTER time
Keep us posted, we'll get you squared away!

I was just reading the Monster clutch information...

The Stage 6 is just a stage 4 puck and stage 5 pressure plate??

Btw, I was just curious, if the stage 5 pedal pressure is 10-12% stiffer, then the stage 3 and 4 is just like stock??

Hell, I wouldnt mind having the stage 5 in that case ... But I think thats overkill for now..
That is correct for the most part.

Our Extreme pressure plates on the Level 5 and 6's have a higher clamp load than that of our HD pressure plates (used in our Levels 1-4). Our friction materials are superior in every way, so, we use them in multiple setups. I will say that our HD pressure plates are roughly 8-10% stiffer than stock, the Extreme pressure plates have a slightly different fulcrum point so that we can keep the pedal pressure down with the higher clamp load.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

It has been mentioned here before (by several folks) but I want to make sure you understand the differences between the stage 3 and stage 3+. Stage 3 uses a pucked style disc that is lighter but that offers a lower capacity and typically a more agressive engagement. I personally like the stage 3 and have used it in several applications over the years. Keep in mind that a Stage 3 will generally wear a little faster because, due to its pucked design, most driver will slip it a bit more in hopes of acheiving smooter engagement. At the end of the day a stage 3 just will not be as smooth as the Stage
3+.

Our Stage 3+ (which uses a full-faced carbon-semi-metallic disc material) is both more torque capable and more drivable. It will have less chatter and a longer life expectency than a stage 3. The disc for this unit is a little heavier and as such it can shift a little slower than a stage 3 (remember this is ultimately relative to the synchros in the transmission).

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
It has been mentioned here before (by several folks) but I want to make sure you understand the differences between the stage 3 and stage 3+. Stage 3 uses a pucked style disc that is lighter but that offers a lower capacity and typically a more agressive engagement. I personally like the stage 3 and have used it in several applications over the years. Keep in mind that a Stage 3 will generally wear a little faster because, due to its pucked design, most driver will slip it a bit more in hopes of acheiving smooter engagement. At the end of the day a stage 3 just will not be as smooth as the Stage
3+.

Our Stage 3+ (which uses a full-faced carbon-semi-metallic disc material) is both more torque capable and more drivable. It will have less chatter and a longer life expectency than a stage 3. The disc for this unit is a little heavier and as such it can shift a little slower than a stage 3 (remember this is ultimately relative to the synchros in the transmission).

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
I know, but if I am assured that the Spec 3+ will NOT chatter, after being broken in, and if you stand behind your product for 12 months/12,000 miles, lastly and can guarantee me great customer service , then Ill probably get the 3+... I dont mean, in any way to put you on the spot, I have spoken to you in the past and youve given me great advice, But I think Im gonna go ahead and go with the Monster stage 3, maybe next week or so... But if You can guarantee me those 3 things I mentioned, Id reconsider... I never frowned upon the 3+, the very few 3+ that have been messed up, Im sure is a rare issue or installation error, because I definitely heard more positive reviews on the 3+, than negative( the SPEC 3 however is a different issue, from what I read)..

But the Monster is standing behind their product as well as Im getting everything for 850+ whatever tax or shipping.. (slave, chromemoly FW, alignment tool, pilot bearing etc..)

I know the SPEC 3+ is gonna cost me more with the FW, pilot bearing, 3+ etc.. Especially if I wanted to get the aluminum FW.. and there is still the master cyl id have to get.(Im sure mine is pretty bad by now)..

Now if Im still curious how much a SPEC 3+ with aluminum FW and aluminum PP would cost, if you want PM me or write it in this thread, makes no difference to me..

Thanks...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a stage 3+ i heard from a few guys around town that they work good, and can handle some power, i sent my NEW stage 3 back to spec to upgrade to a stage 3+.

You think they would have just called it even considering that the stage3 is junk and that there has been nothing but problems with them , But no they hit me for another $260+ $$$ Crazy IMOP.

OK as for there (Spec) customer service , "GOOD LUCK"
my experence with them was unbelievable, #1 everyone else is to blame, the customer, the installer, the technition, the machine shop , who ever ,what ever , Spec in NO way what so ever will take any responsiably that they product failed because of there crafsmenship,
I ask about rivets comming lose , which many LS1 guys had had happened to them, and clutches failing within 3,000-5,000 miles, Spec will tell U that they must have did something wrong during the install, or that its only a hand full of people that this is happening too,
I told Jeremy at spec, whats going on and what i have found out here on LS1tech, he fliped out first saying his CO is GREAT and that he runs nothing but spec cluches and that its either the installer or driver which caused the problem, when i just asked nicley about guys experincing rivits comming loose he said "Man u dont want our product"
and didnt want to talk to me about the rivit problems, like it didnt exsist.
When i told him i didnt want to have any problems with the stage 3 he laughed at me and said to just sell the clutch, now is that something you tell
a customer "no way" so i just hung up , i was so fuxxx frustrated with him , i was done !
any way he called me back i just listened to what he had to say , i was so pissed at him, but he offered to help me and that he will take back the stage 3 to upgrade to a stage 3+, , even tho i did ownthe stage 3 for 3 years, it was brand new in its box, bought from thunder racing.

Good luck to all of you with your Spec products

Last edited by Lawnboy; 02-04-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Restricted User

o yeah , one other thing so far, I have had the new stage 3+ pressure plate and a new stock fly wheel balanced from my machine shop, (Merkel Racing) here on longisland , OK the pressure plate alines and locates on dowel pins that the fly wheel has, well the spec pressure plate holes that aline on the dowl pins are to big,
Scott Merkle explained to me that this would through the clutch assembly off and #1 couldnt be balance right this way and #2 if i didnt know this and just went to install it in my car , that the clutch would have defently vibrated pretty good,

OK luckly i do my homework and was having the clutched assembly checked and balanced.
We call Jeremy and i at frist talked to him , he said to just bolt it up and that the mounting bolts will aline the clutch,
Well maybe , but Scott Merkel said this is not good enough to get a perfect balance, So scott got on the phone and talked to Jeremy, he told Scott the same thing, It was Great Scott told him , listen i balanced 1,000 clutches in my shopp and not one hase been this far off, and that the dowel pins are there for a reason and that this is how the factory alines there clutch, and it cant be balanced to zero with this much play, i was great finaly a well respected well know engineer machinest ect told Spec where they are at , Scott made me new steped dowel pines and balanced the clutch perfect. He siad the new stock GM fly wheel was 100% perfect from the factory , the Spec pressure needed a few grams of weight welded to it to zero it out,
I dont know if you guys are going through all this but i wanted to try to make it work right ,
sorry for the long post
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 AM
11 Second Club

LAwnboy, when I first read your post I didnt know where you stood... and Im still kind of confused, very negative comments, then some positive..

Well, So I am seeing here that a pro drivetrain tech said the Spec PPs are unbalanced, at least yours was and first you had terrible customer service, then they helped you..

But thanks for sharing this..

Im waiting for Spec to reply, still, but I do think Im sold on teh monster right now...
Old 02-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Restricted User

OK, well i did buy a spec stage 3 , 3years ago, and since i heard nothing but bad things about the stage 3 , i researched the stage 3+ after i heard it was Spects' answer to the spec 3 . and a few local street guys said they installed spec3+ clutches and that they seem to work, But a big no no with there stage 3 .
Thats when i called Spec to see if i could swap a new stage 3 for a new stage 3+

And thats when the fun began dealing with spec and they customed service , and there wise *** coments, i would never buy anything from them again, even if this stage 3+ works good. Thats my final say about them
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

LSGun, If broken in properly and used with a flat flywheel the stage 3+ should have no chatter. It is intended to be a very street friendly unit and its full faced nature provides a good drivable experience. Our warranty is 120 days from the date of purchase...that being said I am not going to offer a 12 month warranty as it isn't company policy. I think that many of you have dealt with me directly and I have always done my best to assist you all when you have questions or concerns...I have also worked with you all at point of sell and after purchase and I think that most would agree that I am very interested in you having a good experience with our company as a whole.

I am not going to quote prices here though you are welcome to call me about this and I will happily assist you. Or you can contact any of our dealers for assistance...many of them sponsor this forum and would be happy to help you. Remember, when it comes to clutches you generally get what you pay for. Higher torque ratings and increased drivability to boot come from the use of specific friction materials that are designed to offer the best of both world. These characteristics are commonly associated with stage 3+.

Lawnboy, I remember your situation and am honestly befuddled by your complaint. You bought a clutch kit three years ago from one of our vendors. You wanted to exchange it for a clutch that costs more than the unit you bought and wanted credit on a unit that is substantially different than any of our current offerings. I made this as clear as possible to you and did my best to insure that you understood the associated costs for this upgrade in advance. Yet, you steel feel that you should have been able to do a straight exchange for parts that have different values. I will never understand this mentality.

It seems that the majority of your frustration comes as a result of your feeling somhoe shorted by my offering a straight exchange on a 3 year old part. I did indicate that you were welcome to sell the part on your own and told you that I had no concern relative to your questions about rivet or spring issues.

I did speak with you and your mechanic about your balance concerns and offered to have you return the parts if you felt that there was an issue with them. I explained that the dowel pins are merely there for instalation purposes and that the bolts are what secure the unit to the flywheel. When you balance an assembly you are suppose to bolt the pressure-plate to the flywheel and not rely on the dowel pins to secure it in place while on the balancer.

You expressed concerns relative to a supposed need for a stepped bolt or dowel-pin and I explained that using a bolt of this type could lead to a pressure-plate that did not seat to the flywheel appropriately. I also explained that if the step hindered the plate for sitting flatly that it would lead to clutch slippage or uneven wear because doung this would effectively change the geometry of the assembly.

At the end of the day you were, and still seem to be, mad that you had to pay any difference when exchanging parts that were three years old. You had other options. You could have kept the parts; you could have sold them to someone else; or you could have taken the credit that we allowed and put it towards another purchase. You ultimately choose to go the route of a partial credit and I was happy to assit you with that. Did we have to help you by providing any credit at all? No! But we did, and this just proves that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Restricted User

("When you balance an assembly you are suppose to bolt the pressure-plate to the flywheel and not rely on the dowel pins to secure it in place while on the balancer.")

The fly wheel and pressure plate cannot be balanced the right way relying on the bolts alone to center it , the dowl pins are there for a reason, we had steped ones made! And doing that allowed us to balance the unit perfect, Scott Merkel showed me hoh far it was off , he miked everything up , two guys worked on this and it was going to need a lot of weight welded to it with out the dowl pins, the steped dowl pins got it very close, Again we are all wrong "RIGHT"

Again its never your companys fault its everyone else,
Tell you what Jeremy my Stage 3+ was balance the right way now, and is going to be installed by my friends at the Vett Doctors, altho they have had nothing but problems with your clutches in the past , but not sure about the stage 3+, and they know what there doing, let see if we can get this thing to work and for how long,
Hey its not my fault people are saying that spec clutches are POS, because of them haveing lots of problems, i hope these people are dead wrong and mine works great, i will praise you and your CO, but for now my experiance with you and Spec was something i never experanced befor , not with any anyone or anybody .
To be honest i got my fingers crossed,
ill break it in nice and eazy , and i dont beat the day lights out of my car either, my stock clutch is origanal 31,000 miles 01 SS,

Ill keep you guys posted, because i feel for all of you , and feel bad that you guys are going through hell.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

Lawnboy...you never cease to amaze me. Every interaction I have had with you has been memorable, mostly as a result of your "everyone owes me something" attitude. We didn't have to exchange your 3 year old parts, but we did. You made the choice to upgrade to a stage 3+, no one here forced you to do this. When you and your mechanic called I offered to issue an RMA# so you could return the parts to me for assessment and replacement if there was in fact an issue. Yet even now you continue to complain about things and you haven't even put the kit in the car.

You can say and do and beleive what you want to, there is nothing I can do to change this. And despite all this, I really wish you the best, because at the end of the day, as passionate as I am about cars and clutches and our customers...I don't take this personally.

We have countless customers and dealers that successfully use and install our parts. These aren't just a few random shops scattered throughout the world; these are people and businesses that have tried countless other options and that have learned through expereince that our products are a great option and that our support is top-notch. You and any other member that have been on the board for more than 15 minutes know that I do everything that I can to assist the community and its members. It doesn't matter if you have a stock clutch, a competitors clutch, or one of our units...if you ever have a problem I am there to assist with tech support and assistance. This isn't out of anything other than my desire to help people and my enjoyment of what I do.

If it has been said once, it has been said a thousand times...installation and break-in have a massive impact on clutch life and overall performance. And despite this fact (and the thousands of sticky's at the top of this page that support its reality) people continue to have issues that are not relative to clutch malfunction but instalation and user error. Am I saying it is impossible for someone to have an issue with one of our units? No! But what I am saying is that there are a number of factors that need to be addressed and causes that need to be examined before anyone can simply say "it must be the clutch." Please feel free to contact me with any questions or issues you have in the future...as always I am happy to help.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

I agree with SPEC01 on this. This guy (who is having a hard time spelling) is complaining about having a clutch for 3 years sitting in his bedroom, wanting teh upgraded version for FREE , and has not even installed this clutch yet
Old 02-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Restricted User

#1 Gen414, wait till it happends to you LMAO, wait till you put one of there clutches in at it burns out in 1000 miles, Dont worrie about my spelling , i explain whats going on here very well thats why Jeremy at spec is replying . Any one want to know what i went through including U Gen414 PM me ill give u my cell #, PM me.

#2 Thats Amazing that i amaze you Jermey, This is not a joke that a lot of LS1tech members are having nightmaires with your clutches, and its funny because shops like the Vette Doctors wont use you clutches because of them failing, in fact they had 2 vettes in there shop last month, guess what Jermey the cars were in there shopp to have ther Spec clutches replaced, one car ate it right up with little mileage on it , Still Amazed Jermey, it is happening and i hear about it all over , Pitbull racing and other shope , told me they are Junk and that he would never install another Spec clutch , Northshore street racing club the members installed manny of your clutches, they told me to stay away from them .

And for your "everyone owes me something" attitude. Hey i just build a forged LS6 , and i spent a lot of $$$, no one owes me anything , but i dont want your clutch hurting my car or costing me more $$$ for repairs, You have the " its the installer and driver Problem" attitude .

(If it has been said once, it has been said a thousand times...installation and break-in have a massive impact on clutch life and overall performance.)

yeah yeah , that will all be done perfect, Jermey i did my homework , building my motor, installing my procharger, Methanol injection system , and every thing works great because i took the time and effort to get it right,

Cost me another $140 to balance your clutch and have steped dowel pins custome made.

Now this can keep going on and on, and you can think this is a joke but if your spec clutch fails or i have a problem with it , Every LS1tech member and on other boards too, will know , i will put the word out , and even tho you ( have countless customers and dealers that successfully use and install your parts)
that will be up to LSX guys if they want to go through what i did,
"Amazing"
Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Restricted User

Now i am sorry to cause any conflict and i do appoligize to LS1tech members , I am just looking out for you guys, i been a member here for years now, helped with tech info, Methanol injection, etc delt with manny performance parts companys, I cant say enouge good things about Fraser over at speed inc, Tim at scoggen dicky , the vette doctors, Shannon at pro charger , Bob at EPP and Geff & Shane at Thunder racing, Juilo at alkycontrol, Lonnie, and Sam strano, these People all helped me with my car projects over the years, and i never had any problem with them or any of there parts, and there customer service is top notch.

As for the Spec issue, i just dont find it funny in any way that there product is not working , and i researched there clutches here on ls1tech just like i do with all the rest of my LSX projects, Do the research use the search engine, see for your self.

When i called Spec, i was concerned that there clutch wouldnt handle the power my car is going to make, and i asked about upgrading it, and thats also when i addressed the issues that i heard and researched, thats when the poor attude started, the sell the clutch remark was made, and "man you dont want our clutch"
what the hell is that???
I never heard of a company that would say this to there customers, I was confused, frustrated and i hung up the phone with the "Forget it attude"
sorry thats just how i am.
Anyway i am done complaining , sorry to barther anyone, I just hate it to happen to you ,
good luck everyone
Old 02-05-2009, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm running a tick performance stage 3 viper 6spd in my bolt on car with spray. Joey at tick recommended the spec3+ and spec billet flywheel for my setup. I'm also running new updated gm hydraulics with the provided shim. The tick adjustable mc wasn't available when I picked up my setup. I only have 1000 miles on the clutch, and it was broke in well. The 3+ on my setup doesn't slip well at all, but is getting better as more miles are put on it. The chatter also tones down as the clutch warms up. The clutch also has a much firmer pedal than stock. The clutch has very quick engagement. I have a s60 on order, so this spring we will see how the clutch holds up to some high rpm launches. The clutch in my mind is a good balance of a true "street\strip" setup. If I had a true daily driver car I might have picked a different setup.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

I think I am pretty justified in thinking, based on our prior conversations and your continued statements in this thread, that "you don't want our clutch." I offered to issue an RMA# to have you send the Stage 3+ back for us to check it out and if there had been an issue we would have repaired it at no charge.

You decided to allow your shop to modify it. (As a side note, since you had your shop modify our pressure-plate, you have technically voided your warranty.)

It has become quite clear that nothing that I or anyone else could have done for you would make you happy. Aside from allowing you to swap out a three year old part for a new higher cost option at no charge. I don't know of any company that would allow this. There are different stages, and these stages have different costs. I had no problem helping you...but I wasn't going to give parts away, and no other companies would do this either.

We have a wonderful dealer network that is very capable of handling any of our customers needs. I realize that there are shops that may not like us, or our product, just as there are end users that feel this way. Again, I have never indicated that it was impossible for an issue to arrise relative to parts. But, I am as confident in our parts as you or any other person is in regards to their installation abilities. I have seen many mechanics make mistakes that lead to clutch issues. All to often they blame everyone but themselves even if they were the cause of the problem. You have accused SPEC of this too...but you wouldn't allow us to fix what you felt was a problem. Again...how is this our fault?

If there is an issue relative to manufacturing or materials and it occurs within the warranty period then we will happily work with you to resolve your problem. In fact, many times we will work with folks that are out of warranty because we appreciate our customers and ultimately understand that things happen. But, why should any company be expected to accept responsibility for issues that result from poor installation, lack of break-in, or problems with other parts. That simply doesn't make sense. Again I wish you the best...despite you apparent ill-will toward me. Good luck with all you do.

Quick Reply: Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP