Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Good info.....Thanks SNL. I will hit you up when my old McLeod gives up the ghost....

Spec 3+ sucks for daily driving....trust me...I have two buddies with them, both installed new flywheels both still chatter like a mother well past 1000 miles. The do hold the power though.
Who installed the clutches??
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

well fellas, looks like its down to SPEC 3+ and Monster 3...

Im going to make my decision in a few days, since Im installing my adjustable masyer cyl either the end of this week or next week... if that doesnt fix my shifting issue. its on to a new clutch...

So... basically this is a last chance bump...

sorry, but I didnt get enough info on SOuthbend and Cartek to consider it...

Ive always wanted to try the Spec 3+ and get it over with anyway, so now is my chance(unless of course, if I go with Monster, which is just as likely)...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
well fellas, looks like its down to SPEC 3+ and Monster 3...

Im going to make my decision in a few days, since Im installing my adjustable masyer cyl either the end of this week or next week... if that doesnt fix my shifting issue. its on to a new clutch...

So... basically this is a last chance bump...

sorry, but I didnt get enough info on SOuthbend and Cartek to consider it...

Ive always wanted to try the Spec 3+ and get it over with anyway, so now is my chance(unless of course, if I go with Monster, which is just as likely)...

I know you posted quite a few times about SNL chiming in. what I can tell you is that they spend all their time in the shop, so it normally takes them longer to reply over teh 'net. If you CALL, you are gonna get someone and get an answer QUICK. Do NOT take them being slow to respond on this site as anything other than them being in the shop WORKING to make a better clutch for us And to top it off, Monster takes pride in shipping their product as well (as I mentioned before) wood crate, fastened down, delivery guy made a "wow, nice package" comment. I jsut wish I could tell you from first hand experience how the clutch performs.....I am still about 3 more months away from my car being done But, I have NO DOUBT it will perform BETTER than what they say it will.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
I know you posted quite a few times about SNL chiming in. what I can tell you is that they spend all their time in the shop, so it normally takes them longer to reply over teh 'net. If you CALL, you are gonna get someone and get an answer QUICK. Do NOT take them being slow to respond on this site as anything other than them being in the shop WORKING to make a better clutch for us And to top it off, Monster takes pride in shipping their product as well (as I mentioned before) wood crate, fastened down, delivery guy made a "wow, nice package" comment. I jsut wish I could tell you from first hand experience how the clutch performs.....I am still about 3 more months away from my car being done But, I have NO DOUBT it will perform BETTER than what they say it will.
Well, Im aware of that... Thats why my choices are Monster and Spec, right now... Ill be making my decision anytime next week...

Spec 3+ is just something, I feel like I wanna give a try so I can see for myself.. But I didnt rule monster out, because the sponsor was very helpful and the only reason I havent chose them 100%, yet, is because they are still fairly new..

I remember when the LS7 clutch cameout, I was one of teh first to also buy it.. and it was pretty good...

So I basically did a bump here, with yesterdays comment, to see if any last minute posters can change my mind maybe towards or asway from the Spec or monster... or whatever...

Old 01-29-2009, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Monster is 800 for the 3, premium package, 700tq; 50 more for a Chromemoly FW

Spec is 600 for the 3+, but that doesnt include the flywheel, nor the slave cyl.. 850tq
even moe for an aluminum FW and aluminum pressure plate(which I like the idea), butis gonna cost a lot, with all these options...

Textralia is under a grand, but Ill still need the slave cyl with it and its only 700ft lbs.. WHich I doubt ill reach, unless I ever use nitrous.. and I would have no doubt went with this clutch if this was a couple years ago, but I heard bad things, later on about this clutch..

Btw these Hp/tq ratings are to the flywheel, right??
Old 01-30-2009, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGunZ28
Monster is 800 for the 3, premium package, 700tq; 50 more for a Chromemoly FW

Spec is 600 for the 3+, but that doesnt include the flywheel, nor the slave cyl.. 850tq
even moe for an aluminum FW and aluminum pressure plate(which I like the idea), butis gonna cost a lot, with all these options...

Textralia is under a grand, but Ill still need the slave cyl with it and its only 700ft lbs.. WHich I doubt ill reach, unless I ever use nitrous.. and I would have no doubt went with this clutch if this was a couple years ago, but I heard bad things, later on about this clutch..

Btw these Hp/tq ratings are to the flywheel, right??
My ratings are rwhp.

Bang-for-the-buck you can't beat my setups, however, I'll let you make that decision. Just let me know if you need anything else from me.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SPEC stage 3 on a new aluminum flywheel, it has chattered from day one, now it has 1500 miles, still chattering. This is a 500 hp road race car that I drive on the street. It's not fun to drive, you have to get the revs up and just dump it at every stop light or it will chatter like a MF'er. I would not buy one of these for a car that is street driven. You will regret it for a DD. The good news is that it never slips on the race track. Good race clutch, terrible for the street. MCleod dual disc looks awesome, but expensive, LS7 is a bargin.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01FbTaWs6
Whats wrong with the RAM series clutches?? I have heard nothing but good things about them also.
Pure garage in my world.

I ate 3 of their twin disk clutches. The first one didn't last through dyno tuning and it blew. The next one blew in less than 300 miles of STREET driving. The final one exploded with less than 3,500 miles of which 3,200 was highway Hot Rod Power Tour driving. I'm making @600 RWHP.

Now for the really nice part.....Ram blamed me, claimed driver error. That way they didn't have to honor any warranty. I was stupid enough to give them 3 chances. I'll never buy another thing from Ram.

Today I'm running an RPS Carbon Fiber Twin Disc clutch. I might have tried the Monster, but it came out right after the RPS went in.

Last edited by tcr98taws6; 01-31-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by racecar
I have a SPEC stage 3 on a new aluminum flywheel, it has chattered from day one, now it has 1500 miles, still chattering. This is a 500 hp road race car that I drive on the street. It's not fun to drive, you have to get the revs up and just dump it at every stop light or it will chatter like a MF'er. I would not buy one of these for a car that is street driven. You will regret it for a DD. The good news is that it never slips on the race track. Good race clutch, terrible for the street. MCleod dual disc looks awesome, but expensive, LS7 is a bargin.
But you have a SPEC stage 3, right? not 3+

I think Im gonna go ahead with a monster for now, because THEY DO stand behind their product and they are honest about chatter and it going away soon...

since they warranty it for a year, Im gonna get a Monster 3... But I havent really decided this 100%, we shall see when I get my master cyl in.. and how long my Ls7 clutch lasts...

Im still not ruling out the Spec 3+, but I know ist gonna cost more, especially if I got the aluminum FW and, If I get that I might was well get the aluminum PP... and thats gonna go past a grand, not including the slave cyl(which monster includes!)...
Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Pretty much a no brainer...dollar for dollar customer service HP ratings shipping AND warranty..........can't touch the Monster
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
Pretty much a no brainer...dollar for dollar customer service HP ratings shipping AND warranty..........can't touch the Monster
Im telling you, its that warranty and confidence that drew me to them, despite it being a new company...
Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

mcleod street twin, it is your budget do it once, or do it twice.

i think i have a bit of experience. call and talk to lee or billy at mcleod, they can even set the clutch up with a little less base pressure. their stuff flat out works.

just my .02

g'luck with it.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

id go textralia....good customer support and drives like stock till you beat on it. they also have a twin disk setup if you have that much power..
Old 02-01-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks, but no thanks...I already am almost certain, this is what I want...

McLeod and Text (at least to me) are both Higher end brands and I MAY go with them In the future, after this clutch... but for now Im pretty sure I going with the Monster, because of their warranty, or SPEC 3+(but that looks doubtful as of now)...

If I really DO like my monster setup, I may just stay with Monster for my future clutch and not get a McLeod or Textralia in the future(whereas thats what I originally had planned)...

-sorry I know it sounds confusing...
Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

May or may not help you with your decision but chatter from clutches can come from improper installation. There are a few people that do these clutch changes on their own and dont go about changing it and taking every precaution
Old 02-01-2009, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brandon Smith
May or may not help you with your decision but chatter from clutches can come from improper installation. There are a few people that do these clutch changes on their own and dont go about changing it and taking every precaution
I know(and I still havent ruled out the SPEC 3+, fully yet) But Most of the chatter issues Im seeing is with Spec... UNLESS, alot of people are running SPEC, so the ratio is the same, but quantity is higher, since so many people are running SPEC and/or SPEC users are MOSTLY installing the clutches themselves, and improperly...

Again I only heard like 3 SPEc 3+ that people are having chatter, and like 6 people that arent...

But Monster at least can guarantee me, it will stop at 500miles, and they stand by their product, if it wont...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

no offense but I can't see how you're still considering the spec clutch man... look heres how I see it lets look at worse case scenerio and no one take this the wrong way.

Hypotherically you buy both clutches and they both suck *** and neither of them work for your car.

you could deal with Spec which have *** sweat for customer service and are known to have drivability issues and will be more expensive in the long run or you could deal with monster who will likely replace your clutch if its a factory defect will treat you right from day one and beat their price.

Even if the only thing holding you back is that Monster is the new kid on the block and not heavily experienced... I think there is enough evidence out there to show that Spec clutches are a gamble anyway so why not go with the guys that have had absoluty NOTHING but great reviews...

Monster = 100% good reviews (moderate clutches sold)
Spec = 50% good reviews (lots of clutches sold)
I don't know to me they still aren't worth *** hair... go with the Monster

rant over... Monster gets the vote of everyone in this thread
Old 02-02-2009, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bouvs
no offense but I can't see how you're still considering the spec clutch man... look heres how I see it lets look at worse case scenerio and no one take this the wrong way.

Hypotherically you buy both clutches and they both suck *** and neither of them work for your car.

you could deal with Spec which have *** sweat for customer service and are known to have drivability issues and will be more expensive in the long run or you could deal with monster who will likely replace your clutch if its a factory defect will treat you right from day one and beat their price.

Even if the only thing holding you back is that Monster is the new kid on the block and not heavily experienced... I think there is enough evidence out there to show that Spec clutches are a gamble anyway so why not go with the guys that have had absoluty NOTHING but great reviews...

Monster = 100% good reviews (moderate clutches sold)
Spec = 50% good reviews (lots of clutches sold)
I don't know to me they still aren't worth *** hair... go with the Monster

rant over... Monster gets the vote of everyone in this thread

Why Im still considering it is because

lets say Ive had 5 people tell me monster is good, but how long have they had their monster? No one here has had their monster for 8-10k+

There are people that had their SPEC 3+ for over 10k... But Yes Ive heard negatives too, but MOST of them were the 3, and not the 3+... What if they DID install the 3+ wrong, and those are the people with the issues..

Again, Im most probably going monster here, but I havent rules SPEc 3+ out, because of my hope that the bad SPEC experiences are just installation errors...

and as mentioned the thing keeping me, stuck on Monster is them standing by their product...
(the only thing that isnt making me 100% sure on monster is the puck design..although its explained, Im not sure on it, yet)
Old 02-02-2009, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by taner
mcleod street twin, it is your budget do it once, or do it twice.

i think i have a bit of experience. call and talk to lee or billy at mcleod, they can even set the clutch up with a little less base pressure. their stuff flat out works.

just my .02

g'luck with it.

Taner is teh reason I was sold on teh Mcleod Street Twin. His **** FLAT OUT ROLLS and he is using this setup, and I know Taner knows his ****. So, I am all ready to buy the Mcleod, and I see the Monster bit, so I hop over to their site, and see teh pricing, and I am like WTF?!?!?!?!? Those prices are CHEAP! So, I do some browsing, and ask some more questions about this Monser clutch. And this is what I came up with:
For the dollar, IF teh Monster does what it is supposed to do (hold the power they say it will), there was NO reason for me NOT to buy the Monster.
1)It is cheaper $$$$, by alot!
2)Warranty/Guarantee

Now, the only risk I see I am taking is of teh labor of it. IF the monster fails, then I have to pull teh tranny and replace teh clutch. Since this is NOT my DD, I have no problem with that. I would then spend the extra money on teh Mcleod.

HOWEVER, I really believe the Monster is gonna do what it is supposed to do, and do it while saving me some money that I can spend elsewhere. There are so many other reasons why I SHOULD have gone to Mcleod, but trying to build a car is BIG$$$$$ and when I can save a few hundred dollars on ONE product, I am gonna do it every time. Now, if it is a piece of **** product, then that is another story, I will spend the extra coin. But I have not heard ONE BAD THING about Monster, so it only shows that up to this point that they make a quality product, and thier customer service is off the charts bad ***!!
This situation has ALOT of different ways it can play out, but the one that I am sold on is:
I saved money, bought a killer clutch (Monster Level VI), and made a friend in the process
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

for the monster stage 3,4 and 5, is an aftermarket master cylinder needed?
ive had issues in the past with heavy duty single disc designs and factory hydraulics...

Quick Reply: Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP