Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP

What smooth, STREETABLE clutch for 500hp/470tq , daily driver 402 Camaro Z28?

(REMEMBER THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER!!!, I have a mild cam and AC, radio, power steering, comfortable seats, etc.. I dont wanna make this a race car!!)

My issue is, Im gonna need a clutch very soon, the friction disc on my LS7 clutch is almost worn out... I cannot shift gears if anything above, say 5500-6000rpms... The pedal simply sinks, when I try to shift, I bled the clutch and made sure the fluid was clean.. It helped a minor amount, but still I have issues of shifting at High RPMs...

Now, for my choices:

Id really like the McLeods.. Either the Twin Disc, or the other single disc.. But I think Id rather go twin, since it has a much greater holding capacity.. but its very pricey and right now I simply cannot afford it, because I still have a lot of payments on my card from my previous engine build, etc..

Spec 3+ I have been recommended, but I simply dont want chatter and a short lifespan, Even if everyone comes and praises this clutch, ive simply heard so much negatives things about this clutch, that its gonna take A LOT of convincing for me to go this route...

Spec 2(Im not sure if its good enough for my application)-especially if I do decide to use nitrous in the future.. Spec 4 and 5. NO! This is not a racecar..

Textralia- At first I heave heard nothing but praise on this clutch, then I started hearing weird issues. so I have mixed feelings on this clutch now, not to mention, it too is pricey...

another LS7 clutch.. I dunno how long it will last, if I decide to use another LS7 clutch , with the torque im making and the RPMs im shifting..

Cartek/Monster... Im unfamiliar with these..

So I dont know what route to go.. The only thing I can think of is, finding a used SPEC 3+ and running that for a few months, because since its broken in, im sure itll be a bit more tame, than a new one, and Ill try n live with it, until I can afford a McLeod twin disc..

-------------------------------------------

Now lastly, I have to mention I have not done the "drill mod" and I was wondering if that would fix my problems of shifting at High RPMs... Im gonna try this first, to see if it works, even if it does, my clutch is still almost worn out, and I have to purchase one ASAP..

Also I read something recently, about a manufacturer or sponser selling a braided line for the slave cyl to the pedal or something like that, and it eliminated a need for the drill mod?? Something of that nature.. I would be interested in that, if it helps at high rpm shifts..

Now the car is gonna be used for road racing, as well as drag racing.. But mainly its my DAILY DRIVER...

I road race it about 3 times a year and probably will be making 5-7 passes(if not more) at the dragstrip AT LEAST once a month...

So if there is a quintessential clutch that will work best for all these applications, ID LOVE TO hear what it is..

Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

im wondering the same thing
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a look at the Monster clutches. There fairly new on the market, but from what Ive seen, they tend to work very well and are pretty streetable, plus the premium pkg comes with a new slave. I belive the premium pkg is about 800 for a clutch, slave, flywheel, and just about everything else.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Try a look at the Monster clutches. There fairly new on the market, but from what Ive seen, they tend to work very well and are pretty streetable, plus the premium pkg comes with a new slave. I belive the premium pkg is about 800 for a clutch, slave, flywheel, and just about everything else.
The thing is, Im not in the market to just try a brand.. I want peoples experiences, based on proven clutches at this point... If I wasnt that tight on money right now, id try certain brands, but Im not..

Now, if someone has actual experience with the monster clutches and shares that information with me, it may change my mind..
Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you said you'd need alot of convincing to run the spec3+. I've had my spec3+ for about a year now in my DD, and its still kickin ***. I've got about 13K on the clutch now. I personally haven't had a single problem with this clutch. I've made many many passes with it at the track. Its a strong clutch. I run a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with my spec clutch. Pedal effort isn't insane just a tad heavier than stock. I've had a the centerforce DF, the LS7, and now the Spec3+ and out of all of them the Spec has been the best. I can shift the car a 6900 with my Spec!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well needing it quick wont help much but Fifedogg has a 402 6 speed camaro and just installed a monster clutch. I was waiting to hear how it worked out and was thinking of buying one but found a good deal on a used textralia instead.

As long as they are as good or close to as good as they say they are that would probably be your best bet.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Is the FIdanza Aluminum FW for my LS7 clutch, the same for the SPEC 3?

Maybe the SPec 3+ is better than the Spec 3? (as far as being street friendly?)....
Old 01-15-2009, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

I have an LS1 Fidanza aluminum FW, not an LS7. The Spec3+ is far better and more streetable than the regular Spec3. If choosing between a Spec3 and a 3+, its a no-brainer, the 3+ last longer, holds more power, and chatters a lot less. Do you know anyone with one of the clutches you interested that will let you try it out in their car?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
I have an LS1 Fidanza aluminum FW, not an LS7. The Spec3+ is far better and more streetable than the regular Spec3. If choosing between a Spec3 and a 3+, its a no-brainer, the 3+ last longer, holds more power, and chatters a lot less. Do you know anyone with one of the clutches you interested that will let you try it out in their car?
No one I know with a running F body that has a SPEC 3, right now..

There has to be a catch...

how does the SPEC 3+ last longer, hold more power and chatter less??..

maybe it holds a bit less power??

It must at least cost more, if all of this is true..
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

The regular Spec 3 disc is a PUCK design and uses a carbon graphite friction material. The 3+ is a Full Faced carbon semi-metallic disc which offers more holding power and a longer life.

I think the Spec3+ clutch is over looked far too much! Most associate the Spec 3+ with the regular Spec 3 when the truth is these two clutch couldn't be more different! When ever mine gives up I'll be replacing it with another Spec 3+
Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm also interested however, I'm ruling out Spec and LS7...

I spoke to a Textralia representative and they told me that the 0Z700 Z-grip would hold up to that power rating which I was suprised... however I too have grown weary of this since I've noticed a few horror stories coming up.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Oh did I mention that the Spec 3+ is rated at 850 ft/lbs
Old 01-16-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

another vote for a spec 3+. I've only got about 3k miles on mine but it has held up to 780torque. And drives awesome in town. Engagement is awesome and I havent noticed hardly any chatter.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk00ss
another vote for a spec 3+. I've only got about 3k miles on mine but it has held up to 780torque. And drives awesome in town. Engagement is awesome and I havent noticed hardly any chatter.
what do you mean "Hardly" any chatter...
Old 01-16-2009, 02:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BarneyMobile
The regular Spec 3 disc is a PUCK design and uses a carbon graphite friction material. The 3+ is a Full Faced carbon semi-metallic disc which offers more holding power and a longer life.

I think the Spec3+ clutch is over looked far too much! Most associate the Spec 3+ with the regular Spec 3 when the truth is these two clutch couldn't be more different! When ever mine gives up I'll be replacing it with another Spec 3+
well the semi metallic would mean its probably rougher on the pressure plate, but also at the same time has a higher friction coefficient... I wonder if its noisy??

But yes since its a disc it would probably be more streetable as well have more are to hold..

So, You have my attention..

if I hear more positive things about Spec 3+, I may reconsider... keep it coming....
Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-yay-tick.html

for personal reference...
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Replied. As far as your upper RPM shifting troubles go - time to upgrade the hydraulic system to our Adjustable Clutch Master Kit. It makes a tremendous difference.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what the ram powergrip HD is rated to but so far mine drives exactly like a stock clutch with no chatter. Hopefully it doesn't change when I get more miles on it.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

by hardly any, i mean if your leaving a red light and just try easing out of the clutch with barely and gas(1200rpm) it will chatter a little bit...but it is a great clutch. You need to find someone that has that clutch and drive it. It feels great.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
11 Second Club

Mixed feelings on SPEC 3+, man... Ive still seen bad reviews for the 3+ (but not nearly as much as the 3)...

does anyone have a used 3+, that they wanna sell?? but Im hoping it never gave issues...

I wish someone made a LS7 clutch, with just a slightly more agressive friction disc.., to handle more hp

Quick Reply: Need a smooth, streetable clutch for 500+HP