Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RXT Street Twin

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mcleod RXT Street Twin

How is this clutch for drivability? Its a weekend warrior that never sees track time or heavy launches however it will see its fair share of road racing and may see up to 500rwhp so this should be more then sufficient but what are its street manners?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my mcleod twin, drove ok till i got the tick adj. master; now it's PERFECT, somooth, couldn't be more happy.
Mine is a once a montly warrior lol, so we are in the same boat.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've heard nothing but good things about tick's adj. master cylinder I may end up giving them a call... lol

anyone else out there have any experience with this clutch? please I want some response...
Old 01-24-2009, 04:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bouvs

anyone else out there have any experience with this clutch? please I want some response...

Well, was looking at this clutch, and was sold on it until Monster gave me a call and hooked me up with one of his clutch's. Now, I will be the first to tell you that the Mcleod is a quality piece, and you are going to get WAY MORE good feedback on this clutch than bad, I can assure you. I just recently found out a friend of mine has one behind his TKO 600 and a 408" SBF on gas in a Fox Body Mustang. Been 10.00's @ 135, and the clutch "is an animal" (his words) there is NO slip in this clutch, it grabs hard he says. He also said that there is no way he would drive it daily. Now, remember his setup is a cable clutch, so may have more pedal effort than hydraulic. He said it is not REAL bad (pedal effort) but bad enough that it would get old in a DD.

Hope that helps some!
Old 01-24-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

well that is a concern since I want this car to be comfortable to drive... dd comfortable but weekend warrior capable of swallowing an opposing car and shitting it out too. I keep hearing good things about Monster clutches how are they priced and who's a vendor?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Bouvs
well that is a concern since I want this car to be comfortable to drive... dd comfortable but weekend warrior capable of swallowing an opposing car and shitting it out too. I keep hearing good things about Monster clutches how are they priced and who's a vendor?

PM:

snlperformance (sponsor on teh site)

You can also check out their site:

www.monsterclutches.com

I went Level VI which is a single disk, able to hold 900 Lb Ft If you do decide to go that route, I can assure you, from the time you make the call you are gonna be glad ya did!!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

My clutch is smooth......and they are proven.
Totally different in ours cars than a cable driven mustang.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

damn it... I hate jumping products weekly it aggrivates me because I feel like there is no right answer out there. I'm starting to like the Monster clutch right now... I guess its time to make a phone call...
Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

A cable clutch is completely different. Almost every mustang I've driven with an aftermarket clutch had excessive pedal pressure compared to our cars.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
A cable clutch is completely different. Almost every mustang I've driven with an aftermarket clutch had excessive pedal pressure compared to our cars.
When I hop back in my cobra I don't know how put up with such a freaking stiff pedal DDing it for so long.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm in a very similar situation. Having a 418 stroker dropped in this week and I need to decide if I want to keep my LS7 clutch or upgrade to an aftermarket clutch. Looking for around the 500/500 wheel mark. I've heard mixed opinions on the LS7 clutch for this kind of power. I'll be street driving also, with little to no track time.

I'm very interested in clutch opinions on this subject too.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dankl
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm in a very similar situation. Having a 418 stroker dropped in this week and I need to decide if I want to keep my LS7 clutch or upgrade to an aftermarket clutch. Looking for around the 500/500 wheel mark. I've heard mixed opinions on the LS7 clutch for this kind of power. I'll be street driving also, with little to no track time.

I'm very interested in clutch opinions on this subject too.
well to tell you what I've found... I wouldn't trust the LS7 I think thats its breaking point with 500hp seeing as how our cars are 500lbs heavier then the Corvette they were designed for. I was looking into the Textralia 0Z-700 and although it should be more then capable to the job I wanted a little bit more security so I was willing to go bigger as long as drivability wasn't sacraficed. Well now I'm looking into Monster and it looks like they should be able to provide same drivability with better holding power for cheaper just my .02 I'm heavily leaning towards a Monster clutch.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

I had a tex.clutch before the mcloud.....LOVED it like stock pedal, never had any issues w/ it. I swapped when i went w/ my built tranny for a lil more security.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Agreed.

I've long wondered why our cars didn't just come with cable clutches - they are simple, cheap, and provide excellent pedal feel.

Then I drove my friends '96 GT with a King Cobra clutch...heaviest clutch I've ever driven, and thats not even the heaviest clutch you can get for that car. Its one thing to have good "feel", its another to have an excessively heavy clutch, which is what happens when you put a high performance clutch in a cable clutch application. In city driving it gets old quick. And when you figure our clutches in our LS1 cars are even bigger than that, you can see how a cable clutch wouldn't be feasible at all for anything daily driven.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

I think I am gonna get a RXT.
do you have to use their flywheel?
I already have a brand new billet spec flywheel
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM
Launching!

The RST/RXT look good on paper, i think these are newer models so it'll be hard to get any feedback, I'd go with the RXT = more surface area...
Old 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

RST and RXT are the same clutch, RXT has ceramic lining.

Would recommend RXT anything over 600rwhp

INTMD8 has an RXT in his C6Z06, smooth, but slipped it on a 5,000 rpm launch when it hooked on radials

With ceramic if the clutch slips the friction material is still usable, that RXT only slipped once and has been run since.

Fraser
Old 02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

My Opinion on MCleod twin disc,best clutch ever made.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

are you saying it the rxt didn't hold or he slipped it?
I was thinking about the rxt but if it slipped in a light zo6 on radials its not gonna work for me
Old 02-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Banned

its a Z06 with 850rwhp, it only slipped once

one factor that should be looked into, doesn't feel like the pressure plate is fully disengaging. Mcleod has an adjustable slave cylinder, i'd like to try that.

Other then that, the clutch feels like stock and shifts well.

Quick Reply: Mcleod RXT Street Twin