Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CLUTCH engages top of pedal, and it's slipping!! HELP Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

well i just installed the tick master also...it was doing this and getting worse and worse before i installed it so i figured let me change the master i bench bleed it and bleed it on the car from the bleeder screw and mity vaced it 6 times i am getting no air at all out of it and now it slips worse then ever...like i said any power in second and its toast. and after the tick install its still crzy notchy to get into gears and still grinds 3rd even with it fully adjusted out...but again i am getting no air out of it...sucks
Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would a bad thrust bearing cause the clutch to grab way up high? my RAM PG HD grabs way up high and is STIFF pedal. Recently started slipping when romped on so im just assuming its time to upgrade.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
well after not putting somany miles on my spec...maybe 5000 but the car does not drive much the clutch is doing the same as yours...releasing right at the top and sliping in any gear above 1st when you hit the gas even a little hard. i dont know why its doing this other then its warn and not fully disengauging
I'm shipping my pressure plate, disc, and flywheel out today to Spec, they're gonna check it out, hopefully get to the bottom of it. As far as the measurements go, it looks like my stack height of my clutch is too high, which is causing the throw out bearing to ride on the fingers. But why, i have no idea, because i measure each part individually and they are in spec of what they should be. Except I can't measure the pressure plate by itself because the fingers move down when bolted in place. So i'm Jeremy at Spec is helping me out and we'll go from there, I'm thinking something is wrong with the pressure plate. I've gotten alot of people emailing me asking if i've figured out what the problem is yet, because they're having the same problem with their Spec. Unfortunately, i don't know anything yet! But as soon as I do, I will post it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

so what is the out come?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i got the monster clutch and everything is awesome
wehn i pulled out the spec the disc looked great but the flywheel and PP were worn alot. oh and my throwout bearing was toast
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

Well, I just got off the phone with Paul (Betterdays469) and wanted to let you all know what we found too...in hopes that it will potentially help others that have had similar issues. The initial concern of stack height inconsistency was not an issue...in fact looking at the parts when bolted together would have lead me to believe that there was no issue at all...beyond wear.

Here are our findings: the flywheel that was used was dished...having a greater outage than .005" across the face. The plate surface was flat...showing the typical signs of wear associated with normal usage. The disc had some wear...that was localized on the flywheel side measureing out to have .007" wear on the flywheel side and less than .002" of wear on the plate side. There was nothing that clearly lead to the issues of higher release that Paul experienced. There has been a decent amount of heat in the assembly which leads me to beleive that it has slipped...which was mentioned previously (the issue of flatness was likely exacerbated by a hydraulic issues at some point during the use of this unit).

All this being said, and despite the fact that the plate and disc appeared to be within spec, I am going to rebuild Paul's kit and resurface his flywheel. In the end I want him to have a good experience with us and our products. And, though I do not think that these issues were inherently relative to any miss-function of the clutch, it doesn't appear that he caused any of this through misuse or improper installation either. Let me know if you all have any further questions regarding this issue or any other similar issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

A month old but I just came across this while doing some searching.

I've very happy to see Spec take care fo their customers. It seems far too often when companies go out of their way to help someone out, the rest of the community doesnt respond. Most only respond with negative issues.

Thanks Spec for taking care of this dude, pretty awesome of you.

Other than that, how did everything turn out with the clutch? Happy Shifting?

Dave
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

im having this exact same issue with mine right now. i broke my slave and replaced it with a duralast from auto zone and noticed it was slightly taller than the one i took out and now it catches at the very top and slips like crazy, like i can have it in 5th and go up a hill and it will start slipping. maybe its just no bled enough but i would like to know how yours turned out.

Quick Reply: CLUTCH engages top of pedal, and it's slipping!! HELP Please!