Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

throwout bearing? syncros?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by camar0corey

Alright, there are some pictures. Any advice? There is 6k miles on the clutch disk and pressure plate, how are they looking?

Well, from the pics, and you never know with computers, but it looks like it is charred up pretty good. Looks like alot of hot spots have built up on PP and FW. Again, myabe it's my 'puter, but sure looks like some heavier hot spots. Did you notice any "chatter" while driving, between gear changes?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well how does my clutch components look? I've got it apart, so I guess I will do the throwout bearing regardless while I have it apart. How is the clutch looking though?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
FormerVendor

Well how does my clutch components look? I've got it apart, so I guess I will do the throwout bearing regardless while I have it apart. How is the clutch looking though?
As stated, not real good.

I am hoping some others will chime in as well, and maybe it is just my computer/shadows I am seeing.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

On occasion there was chatter when taking off in 1st or if trying to back up slowly.

Sorry Gen414, you responded as I was typing my question.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

On occasion there was chatter when taking off in 1st or if trying to back up slowly.

Sorry Gen414, you responded as I was typing my question.
And I was typing as you were typing...

With the chatter that is a pretty good indication of "hot spots" on the flywheel or PP
Old 02-23-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

So would you say it would be a bonehead move to reinstall it then?

What are my options clutch wise for a LT1? I'm putting down 353rwhp/351tq right now, and have a Nitrous Outlet plate kit awaiting install, planning on a 150 shot.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

So would you say it would be a bonehead move to reinstall it then?

What are my options clutch wise for a LT1? I'm putting down 353rwhp/351tq right now, and have a Nitrous Outlet plate kit awaiting install, planning on a 150 shot.

I wouldn't say it would be a bonehead move, especially if funds are tight right now, you could make it live if you wanted. Also, depends on how much free time you have on your hands, ya know? Obviously, you put it back together, and over the next couple/few months, it gets REAL bad, you are pulling the tranny again

So, you got the funds, and time is tight, I would go ahead and upgrade, get a new setup and just be done with it.

Or:

Throw her back together, let it eat for awhile, make it last as long as you can, saving up some $$$ over time, and then rip her back apart.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Do you have any idea on what I should run? I'm kinda looking at the spec 3+ and hoping that the slp flywheel can be surfaced a second time without any drama.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

i say put it back together, try not to ride the clutch to much, the disk you have is very grabby, when backing up or taking off, pressure plate does have some hot spots, but i would not worry about right now, replace the tob and all hyds, bleed the hell out of it, your on your way
good luck
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Do you have any idea on what I should run? I'm kinda looking at the spec 3+ and hoping that the slp flywheel can be surfaced a second time without any drama.
Well it does depend on how much they took off the first time they surfaced it. You might end up having to buy a new FW, which most clutch kits anymore come with a new FW, so that is not too bad.

But, just really think about it from a $$$$ point of view before you decide on anything. Me? I just don't like going back and doing something over again, especially if it is questionable, like now.
I agree 100% that if you put it back together as is with a new TOB and new hydraulics, you will be good to go for awhile.
And if this was a car that could be down for a period of time (in other words, NOT my DD) I WOULD put it back together as is.

But, if it WAS my DD? I would not risk it, you are there, just do it.

That is how I am looking at it.

I vote for Monster CLutches Check with SNLPerformance (sponsor on this site) he sells www.monsterclutches.com
Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

I think it is important for you guys to realize that, due to the fact that clutches use friction as a component of their function, there will always be heat-checks and hot spots on the friction surfaces of any used clutch. These do not inherently evidence an issue...they simply show that the clutch has been used. If anything, there is a greater presence of hot-spots on the plate than on the flywheel. That being said the parts don't really look to bad. Check the disc thickness and call your clutch provider to compare this to the original thickness. This will allow you to know what kid of life is left in the disc. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I've emailed the place that built the clutch with pictures and the video. Hopefully they will have some insight on how the clutch looks and I'm going to go from there. I'm just frustrated that the car is down again, especially since my friend just got his S R T 4 back on the road with a fresh build. Itching for a run.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Gen414, it looks like Monster Clutches only do clutches for LS cars??

If the place that built the current clutch doesn't respond to my email by tomorrow I guess I will call them and see what they think. I want to put it all back together but I haven't ordered the TOB yet, and I hate waiting on shipping. I just want to do it next week while on spring break.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I just ordered the TOB. If I can't get a hold of the place that built it by the time it shows up the clutch pictured is going back in.

Wish I could get more opinions on it.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Alright, the place that built the clutch said it looked hardly broken in, took some measurements, told me the pressure plate wasn't warped at all. He watched the video, said it sounded like the pilot bushing was spinning. He gave me a new pilot bushing, so I swapped that and the throw out bearing, even though he said the bearing felt smooth to him.

So which ever one did it, it is now nice and quiet. I'm happy. Oh yeah and the price on Royal Purple ATF must have gone through the roof, 3 qts. set me back $43.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

you put in 4 qrts right?

Quick Reply: throwout bearing? syncros?