Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Install Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Install Trouble

Hello. I am installing a T56 for the first time in my 00 Z28. I have the "used" mcleod clutch & pressure plate in place with a new factory master and slave. I can't get the splined shaft in the tranny to match up with the motor. Any suggestion? thank you.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by VLANDER005
Hello. I am installing a T56 for the first time in my 00 Z28. I have the "used" mcleod clutch & pressure plate in place with a new factory master and slave. I can't get the splined shaft in the tranny to match up with the motor. Any suggestion? thank you.

How did you install the clutch? Did you use an alignment tool? If not, that in itself is your problem.

Also, is this going into an Auto car, or was it a stick car to begin with????
Old 02-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

yes. I used the alignment tool. I have two jacks holding up the trans and i have engaged the clutch disc. I just can't get the end of the shaft to slide into the pilot bearing.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the transmission in gear, and reach around the back and turn the output shaft. Thats what dad and i did, took us less than a minute to get the transmission installed, which is good because we hoisted it up by hand up to shoulder height so it was getting heavy quick.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you really just have to manhandle the transmission, and turn the output shaft to get it perfect. It was a real bitch when I did it on my friend's car.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can put a dab of grease on the splines leading edge of the input shaft and at the tip where the bushing rides, this will help also.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone know who might have metal alignment tools? I don't care for the cheap plastic one that I have, it's too easy to have the alignment off because the plastic "gives".
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

So far my friend and I have 3 hours into getting the tranny to align. The splines are ingaged into the disc, just not going into the pilot. I am going to take the tranny down and mic the alignment tool dia, and then the shaft on the tranny just to double check. I assumed that they were the same.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
FormerVendor

ALSO:

If you engaged teh clutch BEFORE you got the input in far enough, the clutch disk could have dropped down some, and thrown your alignment off.

I also want to know if this is going into an auto car, or you just replaced teh clutch, or what? Why is the tranny out? I like details!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a plastic clutch alignment tool from autozone and had no problems with it. I dont think the alignment tool will "give" just because the clutch disk really is not that heavy..
But thats just me.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

These are a bitch to line up sometimes, I've seen people have problems with the Dowels in the trans not lining up, or have one stay in the bellhousing and upon re-assembly it gets pushed through the bell housing. Both pins should be in the trans. check this thread, its got good pics of the pins and what happened. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...h-failure.html
Even though he somehow got it to line up with one of the pins sliding through the bellhousing
Old 02-17-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I used a plastic clutch alignment tool from autozone and had no problems with it. I dont think the alignment tool will "give" just because the clutch disk really is not that heavy..
But thats just me.
Cool, I've used the 3 dollar plastic tool from AZ or Advance before as well but had problems getting it to line up. My buddy was helping and he pushed in the plastic tool and said it was good but I believe what happened is the alignment was off a little and some of plastic tool shaved off of the tool because it was so soft. So, it fit in there but just because the shape of the tool was, in effect, modified. Metal is not going to do this nearly as easy of course. I have some vibrations that I think are stemming from the clutch now. So, that's basically why I, for one, would like to find a metal one just to be sure.

Anybody know where to get one?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Typically the only "metal" ones are sawed off old input shafts.

For those of us who have done this fing with alignment is part of the deal. Do not force tranny in by pulling tranny in using bolts...you will kill the pilot bearing.

What I found helpfull is push straight in on clutch tool while tightening PP bolts enough to hold disc. Look and run fingers around edge of clutch. The "edge" should be even all the way around, not with on side of the disc sticking slightly out.

Turning rear shaft so tranny spline is at a different angle, man handeling it, etc. are all part of the process sometimes.

Do confirm that motor and tranny are "in-line" meaning the gap top and bottom of tranny is = spaced from bell housing. If not binding and tranny will not go in.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

I'm just replacing the clutch. It was a manual car to begin with and it is the T56 tranny. I am going to take the trans back down and use a set of mics to measure both the input and the tool to see if they are close. There seems to be equal distance around the trans about a fingers width. We've tried putting the trans in gear and in neutral with no luck. I think it will just be a matter of time with plenty of man handling. I hope it works, I have to move the car very soon. My wife and I moved and its at the old house!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

I'm just replacing the clutch. It was a manual car to begin with and it is the T56 tranny. I am going to take the trans back down and use a set of mics to measure both the input and the tool to see if they are close. There seems to be equal distance around the trans about a fingers width. We've tried putting the trans in gear and in neutral with no luck. I think it will just be a matter of time with plenty of man handling. I hope it works, I have to move the car very soon. My wife and I moved and its at the old house!

I might have missed it, but did you change out the pilot bearing (PB)? If so, maybe installed backwards? If not, maybe the old one is damaged??
Old 02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Brand new pilot bearing and throwout bearing. pilot bearing is installed the correct way. Everything seems to be ligned up and we have two more hours today into trying to get it to line up with no luck. Still a fingers width away. OD of shaft on tranny and alignment tool are the same dia. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
FormerVendor

Have you tried installing the tranny WITHOUT the clutch/PP?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Just a thought. Sometimes the slave and throwout will prevent the trans from going all the way in. Try plugging in the braided line in so the slave compresses.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Got the tranny back in this afternoon. Now the tires spin with the clutch pushed in....!!?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:52 AM
FormerVendor

Got the tranny back in this afternoon. Now the tires spin with the clutch pushed in....!!?

What are you using to spin the tires? The actual motor? You have the rear wheels off teh ground?

Quick Reply: T56 Install Trouble