Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter - No Limit Stops

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If stops aren't needed, then why would Pro 5.0 and Hurst design a shifter WITH stops SPECIFICALLY for the T56?!?

I guess the guys bitching in this thread bought MGW shifters and didn't quite think everything through... oh well...
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, so you can set the throw distance to your own personal preference you genius.

Before you start tryin to call others out with more experience on these cars than yourself you need some better arguements than you have. There are alot of guys on here running the MGW as well as the Pro 5.0 shifter both without issues. Show me one person who broke their tranny running a MGW.

As far as your other dumb comment about the architects, yes that sometimes is the facts. I'm am a engineer/designer & I deal with engineers from other companies on a daily basis that have no damn clue how the product they are buying actually operates in the field. All they know is that it needs to meet their data sheet specs for certain capacities. They have no clue about the nozzles required for their pressure vessels to operate properly once piping is ran to them & alot of times you have to get more than one person on the phone or arrange a meeting with them in person to get the damn point across.

You need to stop while your ahead cause your just making yourself sound even more unknowledgable about what your attempting to speak about. You wanna spread false info about a part & back it up with a BS story about directly talkin to the tranny designer about this particular shifter go do it on another board full of people dumb enough to buy your load of **** man. Those of us on here smart enough to know better will call you out.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stops on the 5.0 plain out suck. They back out and you need to retighten them every 4-5k miles or they are useless.

I havent heard anything about the Hurst Billet but Im glad ya bought it.

Im sorry but if a designer said to use a shifter with stops then go for it. It wont save the shift forks (IIRC they are made out of aluminum) that are in a STOCK transmission if you are powershifting the car.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

Directly from MGW's website:

Feature List:

Each shifter boasts the shortest throw in it's class.

Absolutely the quietest aftermarket shifter you can buy.
360° adjustability of the shift **** position means no more reaching for gears.
Centering springs are the strongest in their class. (No more missing 3rd gear)
Reduces "In Gear" slop, vibration and buzzing.
Fully Adjustable shifter stops to prevent broken or bent shift forks.
No modification of factory inner boot necessary.
Accepts Factory or aftermarket shift ***** with 12mm threads.

Class III Teflon Impregnated Hard Coat Anodized to prevent galling and grease contamination.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a picture directly from the MGW website of a T56 shifter.

Notice the stops on this one???

Old 05-01-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
...so you can set the throw distance to your own personal preference...
Reading this statement brings this saying to mind:

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Last edited by ATLSS; 05-01-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So, if MGW makes a shifter with stops for a T56... why the hell didn't they make a shifter for our F body cars with stops for our T56?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Well their ad might say that but I have yet to see anyone I know that races their car on a stock tranny or in general just beats the **** outta it ever break a tranny from an aftermarket shifter either with or without stops. The reason I have seen failures is from worn forks in general, not from the shifter used.

Take a long look at the bottom of a stock shifter & the one you bought. Watch how much the bottom pivot actually moves. I'd be willing to bet it's damn near identical. And thats the piece that sticks into the transmission & actually does the movement to shift gears. Most your short throw shifters make the throw shorter than stock in their design above the plate where it bolts to the tranny, not under it.

Hell I still run my stocker with a WS6store short stick & have had several other experienced f-body owners ask what short throw I had in there b/c it feels so much shorter & all that changed was the stick length.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Reading this statement brings this saying to mind:

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
I'm sorry but I probably have more technical information about these cars in my pinky than you do in your entire being man. I have helped numerous members on here in every section from internal engine to appearance. So before you go talkin **** know who your talkin to.

You on the other hand are relyin on everyone believing you actually called the designer of these transimissions & asked about a specific shifter & he actually knew what you were talkin about. Pretty weak if you ask me.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bballr4567
The stops on the 5.0 plain out suck. They back out and you need to retighten them every 4-5k miles or they are useless.

I havent heard anything about the Hurst Billet but Im glad ya bought it.

Im sorry but if a designer said to use a shifter with stops then go for it. It wont save the shift forks (IIRC they are made out of aluminum) that are in a STOCK transmission if you are powershifting the car.

Hurst uses a nut on the stop shaft to tighten down on... I doubt it will move.

MGW uses the same design in their T56 shifter... just not the F body shifter.

The REASON I bought the Hurst billet was for the stops to HELP AVOID a bent fork while power shifting the car...

Good luck power shifting your car with your MGW.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry but I probably have more technical information about these cars in my pinky than you do in your entire being man. I have helped numerous members on here in every section from internal engine to appearance. So before you go talkin **** know who your talkin to.

You on the other hand are relyin on everyone believing you actually called the designer of these transimissions & asked about a specific shifter & he actually knew what you were talkin about. Pretty weak if you ask me.
Are you callig me a liar now?

I mean, what else do you have to say when I show you that MGW makes a shifter for the T56 with stops.

Backpedal much there boss?
Old 05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont powershift my car. I dont feel the need to honestly. Yea, its cool to do, sounds good and gets you that extra .1 on the strip but I just dont punish my car with it.

Honestly, if MGW makes an Fbody shifter with the stops, Ill buy it from them. However, for my uses the MGW is perfect for me and a great shifter to me.

BTW there is this thing called multiquote. You can quote multiple people in ONE post so you dont post 6 in a row. Just hit the quotation mark button and then post reply.

Take a long look at the bottom of a stock shifter & the one you bought. Watch how much the bottom pivot actually moves. I'd be willing to bet it's damn near identical. And thats the piece that sticks into the transmission & actually does the movement to shift gears. Most your short throw shifters make the throw shorter than stock in their design above the plate where it bolts to the tranny, not under it.
Very, very, very good point.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Very, very, very good point.
Care to explain why you think this is such a good point?

It's quite obvious that changing the fulcrum point is how the throw is shortened...

Last edited by ATLSS; 05-01-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Dude if your so ****** smart you dont need this forum. You seem like one of those idiots that refuses to listen to people more educated than yourself. You can say you spoke with the tranny engineer all you want. I could give 2 ***** less. But this entire thread is pointless b/c there are already plenty of people running this shifter & none have had tranny failure due to the shifter.

What part of "the shift forks are built from inferior materials" are you not understanding. You power shift your car hard enough for long enough on ANY shifter & eventually your gonna trash a ****** shift fork unless you have already upgraded. It's a pretty ****** easy concept but your having a damn hard time accepting it.

Stop doggin a perfectly good shifter cause it doesn't have a feature that gets you off. Stick to your Hurst you bought & STFU.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Care to explain why you think this is such a good point?

It's quite obvious that changing the fulcrum point is how the throw is shortened...

go back to svtperformance
Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

this thread is fail
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

I just checked out the MGW site for this shifter, but they only list shifters for Vettes, Stangs and Vipers; where are the F-Body shifters?

I have a B&M Ripper and really don't like the look of it, seems too tall, so I am shopping around.

DM
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
I just checked out the MGW site for this shifter, but they only list shifters for Vettes, Stangs and Vipers; where are the F-Body shifters?

I have a B&M Ripper and really don't like the look of it, seems too tall, so I am shopping around.

DM
If you want MGW shifter for your fbody, you have to call them.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bene
If you want MGW shifter for your fbody, you have to call them.
Thanks for the info!

DM
Old 05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW, MGW highly suggests that you do not use the stops on their Mustang T56 shifter. Just FYI.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter - No Limit Stops