Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MGW Shifter - No Limit Stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MGW Shifter - No Limit Stops

For those of you that plan to powershift your car:

The MGW shifter does not have a limit stop adjustment.

I spoke with MGW this morning (real nice guy) and he told me that they rely on the stops built in to the T56.

The problem is that the T56 stops come after the shift fork. And we all know that the shift fork can be broken while power shifting the car.

The avoid this it's best to have a shifter that has an adjustable limit stop. The engineer at Tremec (TTC) stated this himself.

I just thought I'd share the info with my fellow brethren.

I've decided on a Hurst Billet with an adjustable stop.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have broken the shift forks with the Pro 5.0 which has adjustable stops as well.

The forks are soft in the T56 and can break pretty much anytime you drive the car hard. Ive seen and read about people breaking them with the stock shifter as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a pro 5.0 and dont even use the adj stop screws... well mainly cause it didnt come with them, lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I rarely hear of anyone using the stops that come with the shifter am i wrong?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just took a factory Hurst out to install a Hurst Billet with stops.

And I adjusted the stops per the instructions - tighten stop until it touches the stick, then back off 1/2 turn and tighten down.

I agree that the stock shifter has caused transmission failure. It happened to a friend's Z06 - he power shifted the car with the stock shifter and he broke the tranny.

My point is that the MGW is just like the stock shifter in the regard that it does not have a limit stop - a bad design in my opinion for a performance UPGRADE over the stock shifter.... but it's hardly an upgrade if they don't give you stops to HELP the transmission live...

Take it for what it's worth... just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bballr4567
People have broken the shift forks with the Pro 5.0 which has adjustable stops as well.

The forks are soft in the T56 and can break pretty much anytime you drive the car hard. Ive seen and read about people breaking them with the stock shifter as well.
I would almost bet that those who broke their tranny with the 5.0 either did not have it adjusted correctly, adjusted at all, or some other issue caused the failure, i.e. poor hydraulics, etc.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NO we all don't agree that the stop is needed. If you had actually reviewed the inside of a T56 you would see that the guidplate limits the travel of the shift rail. That limit is BEFORE the shift fork .So No, the stop is not after the fork. The way shifter stops work is to limit the travel of the stick. This does nothing if adjusted right because they are before the guide plate as stated above. It is possible to damage a fork while shifting but only if you can deliver 300-400 lbs of force- not a normal human capability. The forks that have been damaged are worn at the rails. An iron 3.4 fork is now avialable and solves thak. What REALLY damages forks is a missed shift that results in a clash. The clash is the gear rejecting the sleeve. That load is extremely high. The stops in a shifter will do absolutely nothing to prevent clash shift damage because their travel control is in the OPOSITE direction of travel. Bottom line is use the stops if it makes you feel better and want to spend your money on something BUT they do nothing to protect your transmission.
I commend the guts of marketing a performance shifter without stops in the face of such mis-information out there on what stops do.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
NO we all don't agree that the stop is needed. If you had actually reviewed the inside of a T56 you would see that the guidplate limits the travel of the shift rail. That limit is BEFORE the shift fork .So No, the stop is not after the fork. The way shifter stops work is to limit the travel of the stick. This does nothing if adjusted right because they are before the guide plate as stated above. It is possible to damage a fork while shifting but only if you can deliver 300-400 lbs of force- not a normal human capability. The forks that have been damaged are worn at the rails. An iron 3.4 fork is now avialable and solves thak. What REALLY damages forks is a missed shift that results in a clash. The clash is the gear rejecting the sleeve. That load is extremely high. The stops in a shifter will do absolutely nothing to prevent clash shift damage because their travel control is in the OPOSITE direction of travel. Bottom line is use the stops if it makes you feel better and want to spend your money on something BUT they do nothing to protect your transmission.
I commend the guts of marketing a performance shifter without stops in the face of such mis-information out there on what stops do.

Sorry, but when the engineer at Tremec (who designed and built the T56) tells me that stops are a good idea, I'm going with a shifter that has stops...

And the engineer also told me that the stop comes after the fork. Sorry, but I tend to believe the guy who designed/built the damn tranny.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Sorry, but when the engineer at Tremec (who designed and built the T56)
Wrong. Borg-Werner designed the T56 transmission. Then sold the rights to Tremec to in 98 or 99.

They have built and designed the TR6060.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong. Borg-Werner designed the T56 transmission. Then sold the rights to Tremec to in 98 or 99.

True stuff stated above.
I also have the MGW, before it I had the 5.0 No comparison between the shifters, I love the MGW. I power shifted mine on the spray and never hit the stops on the 5.0 that I could tell. I dont think they are needed myself.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry, but when the engineer at Tremec (who designed and built the T56) tells me that stops are a good idea, I'm going with a shifter that has stops...

And the engineer also told me that the stop comes after the fork. Sorry, but I tend to believe the guy who designed/built the damn tranny.
WOW, what a noob. You will learn in due time not to listen to GM about ****. There are members on here who can tear down their car completely including wiring harness & rebuild it better than GM did from the factory. I tend to believe those with actual first hand mechanical knowledge, not some guy at GM sitting behind a desk who has never even done the work being asked about.

And as stated above you need to do even more research on these trannys if you don't even know who made them.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're right. I stand corrected.

But Tremec (TTC) should know a little about their own transmission, no?

Last edited by ATLSS; 05-01-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
WOW, what a noob. You will learn in due time not to listen to GM about ****. There are members on here who can tear down their car completely including wiring harness & rebuild it better than GM did from the factory. I tend to believe those with actual first hand mechanical knowledge, not some guy at GM sitting behind a desk who has never even done the work being asked about.

And as stated above you need to do even more research on these trannys if you don't even know who made them.
Oh the irony of you busting my *** for calling "GM" when they didn't design or build the T56...

I called the CURRENT designer/builder of the T56 to get my information.

Sorry for the technicality in my previous post and for not giving Borge WArner the credit due.

Go die in a fire.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Oh the irony of you busting my *** for calling "GM" when they didn't design or build the T56...

I called the CURRENT designer/builder of the T56 to get my information.

Sorry for the technicality in my previous post and for not giving Borge WArner the credit due.

Go die in a fire.
Sorry your such a dumb ***, LOL. You go ahead & talk to dealers if it makes you feel all warm & fuzy if you feel you need.

The rest of us will listen to people with actual mechanical knowledge of these cars, not pencil pushers who have never had their hands on the actual parts being asked about.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Launching!

well you should be happy with the hurst billet anyway, its a great shifter
Old 05-01-2009, 01:47 PM
MASS seller approved

anyone selling a b&m ripper that wants to upgrade to a mgw pm me i want to buy it im also going to buy a mgw and hurst billit i want one of each
Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

The adjustable bumb stops don't sound like a bad idea.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Sorry your such a dumb ***, LOL. You go ahead & talk to dealers if it makes you feel all warm & fuzy if you feel you need.

The rest of us will listen to people with actual mechanical knowledge of these cars, not pencil pushers who have never had their hands on the actual parts being asked about.
That's like saying the Architect who designs the structure doesn't have a clue how it goes together and works.

But the contractors building it know more about it... yet they had NO input on the design....

Aren't you a genius.

Go **** in someone elses thread.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry that there is a BS flag on the notion there is one engineer designing & building T56s. Also the notion that that guy had time to speak to you. I don't doubt some one told you that but it was no Tremec engineer and also no one that knew much about T56s.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by calhoon
I'm sorry that there is a BS flag on the notion there is one engineer designing & building T56s. Also the notion that that guy had time to speak to you. I don't doubt some one told you that but it was no Tremec engineer and also no one that knew much about T56s.
I've worked with TEAMS that were under the Architect... Architect is not 1 person but many designers...

Now you're saying that no one under the Architect has any clue as to how the structure is designed...

I didn't know there were this many geniuses on tech...

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter - No Limit Stops