Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Flywheel and clutch dont fit. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel and clutch dont fit. HELP!

so today i discovered that the flywheel and clutch kit i bought for my ls1 doesnt fit after taking my trans out and being a wounded duck for a week now. the flywheel i got is slightly larger around and has 8 bolt holes whereas the back of the crankshaft has 6 bolt holes. i bought the flywheel and clutch from someone locally a while back so i cant do much about that. i dont even know what brand they are. can someone help me at least figure out what car these parts are for and what i need to do a proper clutch/flywheel swap?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would think the easiest thing to do would be to go to a descent shop that works on all type of vehicles. They might beable to point you in the right direction in terms of what type of vehicle your clutch is made to fit.

In regards to what you need to do the swap right, and not intended to sound rude, is an LSx clutch setup. There should be a sticky regarding how to do the swap, and it will give you all of the details (new 01-02 slave, proper bleeding, etc). Also I would suggest a remote bleeder.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Not to hijack this thread but what size and spline is a stock clutch for a 2002 WS6?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
In regards to what you need to do the swap right, and not intended to sound rude, is an LSx clutch setup. There should be a sticky regarding how to do the swap, and it will give you all of the details (new 01-02 slave, proper bleeding, etc). Also I would suggest a remote bleeder.
thanks for the input and i know i need an LSx setup haha. but are all of the LS flywheels and clutches interchangeable? i thought i had an ls2 flywheel thinking that there are 8 bolts on the back of an ls2 crank but since people get the ls2 flywheel/ls7 clutch all the time, that cant be true. i think i'll stop by a shop today and see what they say about it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 AM
FormerVendor

Can you provide some pics of the parts? If so, I will be happy to try to determine what you have.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a good setup. I ran this with 377rwhp and no problems. Great streetability and still retains some aggresiveness. About the only other thing I can think of you may want is some ARP flywheel bolts and an alignment tool.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2823

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1209

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=838

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2192
Old 05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Can you provide some pics of the parts? If so, I will be happy to try to determine what you have.
here are the pictures. sorry about the quality. all i've got is a cell phone camera. i've been doing some research and i think the setup is for a viper. they're also printed with skyway on it and it turns out that a small manufacturer called skyway precision is based about 10 miles from me. i've found out though that they are manufacturer only and they dont sell to private individuals. could this then be a stock replacement for a viper? if so, who wants to buy it? or trade me for a stage 1 or 2 clutch and flywheel for my bird?

Last edited by slowbird98; 05-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
FormerVendor

fil, the normal spline count and size of an LS1 hub is 26 x 1-1/8".

slow, It looks like you have been sold some Dodge parts for your LS1. I can't say for certain that it is Viper specific, but the cover is a stock Luk unit. That being said...you have the wrong parts! Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to help you out, especially considering that someone has already taken you around the block on these parts. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=slow, It looks like you have been sold some Dodge parts for your LS1. I can't say for certain that it is Viper specific, but the cover is a stock Luk unit. That being said...you have the wrong parts! Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to help you out, especially considering that someone has already taken you around the block on these parts. Thanks![/QUOTE]

thanks very much for all of your help. i had my original flywheel resurfaced today so i'll just be using that over again. i'm going to order a clutch tonight too. what else would an 8 bolt flywheel fit too that is dodge besides the viper? the guy that sold it to me had a gto that he had sold so i think he bought the clutch and flywheel knowing that it was for a viper because he thought that since they both have a t56, it would bolt up. i also got the clutch kit and flywheel for $200 total so i dont think he tried to take me for a ride. once i can figure out what exactly these parts are for, i'm sure i can sell them for more than $200 anyways so even if he did screw me, i'm only making money on it. thanks again spec for all of your help.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

These parts could also fit a Dodge Truck as well, as they used the same crank pattern. If you can send me some more detailed shots of the other sides of the flywheel and plate I will try to provide more info. Just let me know. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Flywheel and clutch dont fit. HELP!