Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch bleed problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch bleed problem

Ok, as you all can see I am having some major issues with my hydrualics. I just finished the 383 build up, installed it along with a new Stage III South Bend Clutch and new master and slave cylinders from LUK. I thought that I had bleed both lines very good and when I went to drive my new drivetrain for the first time yesterday, I could not get it in gear while the engine was running. I dropped the slave cylinder out of the trans yesterday and noticed that the factory retainer was not yet broken (suppose to break on first clutch release). So I attempted to bleed it for going on two days solid now. I did multiple searches here on the site and found nothing as far as bleeding is concerned for a 93-97 sealed hydraulic system. My arms are wore out and I am extreamly anxious to take my newly built z for a ride. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thank you for looking.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this an LS1 T56 or LT1 T56 ?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Teching In

This is a LT1 T56.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did they send you a stage III for the LT1 or LS1 ?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Teching In

The Stage III is definatly for the LT1 motor and transmission. The problem is the slave cylinder has very little travel when the clutch pedal is being pressed. I was under the car when I had the wife push on the pedal. Don't worry. I had the slave cylinder 3/4 of the way in when she pressed it. The travel of the slave cylinder at best was 1" when actuated. I know that I have air in the system, I just can not manage to get it all out. The pedal is also very soft. This is also after two days of bleeding and swaping out the slave cylinder for another new one. I was not sure if I bought a bad one, so I exchanged it for another one. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok what about the master cylinder. How is that ?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Both the Master and the Slave cylinder are brand new from LUK. They have 0 miles on them both.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Was the master prebled ?

I had similar issue until I would either bench bleed the master or install a
prebled GM master.

Now I use a Tick but that's besides the point.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Unfortunatly the units were not prelubed. I hunted everywhere just about until I gave up and bought the units sepratly. I just found out today that the local GM dealer has a prelubed unit, but thats a little to late for me now. I am running out of funds and need to get this car on the road like yesterday.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a tutorial about bench bleeding. You don't really need the mity-vac.
The bench bleeding should be enough.
http://home.comcast.net/~buschman_00...utchbleed.html

It took me a while to realize that once you get the master bled, you just connect the master to the slave line and pump the peddle and that usually does it.

I would like to see your car on the road too.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Ok, I am raedy to burn this car !!!!!! I have now replaced the slave cylinder 3 times and the master 2 times, then I finially got tired of trying to bleed it. I returned both of them, went to GM and bought the entire system already pre-bled. I got it home today and still had the same problem. The funny part is that I installed the slave at the correct highth with out the cover plate and had my wife push on the clutch pedal and it had the same amount of travel as the other ones. It appears to only travel about one inch to an inch and a half. Is there anything that I am missing???? Please I need help, I have not been able to take my new 383 build for a spin yet due to this . Thank you all in advance.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dkmac
Ok, I am raedy to burn this car !!!!!! I have now replaced the slave cylinder 3 times and the master 2 times, then I finially got tired of trying to bleed it. I returned both of them, went to GM and bought the entire system already pre-bled. I got it home today and still had the same problem. The funny part is that I installed the slave at the correct highth with out the cover plate and had my wife push on the clutch pedal and it had the same amount of travel as the other ones. It appears to only travel about one inch to an inch and a half. Is there anything that I am missing???? Please I need help, I have not been able to take my new 383 build for a spin yet due to this . Thank you all in advance.

The was a member a while back that had some problems with a South Bend clutch on a LT1 a while back. I don't know what else to say, I wish I had the magic bullet.

Someone please chime in and help this guy.
Joey from Tick, I think you had a similar experience before with a South Bend.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleed problem